prescription masks

oLEEander

I've come to the realization that if I want to ever see any of the underwater life I'm told is actually all around I'm going to have to break down and buy a prescription mask. Jaws could be tapping me on the shoulder and I still would have trouble making him out without my glasses:eek:. So my question is does anyone have any recommendations ?? I'm at a total loss :confused: I don't know what type of skirt or strap. Do I need a purge valve (heck I'm not even sure what a purge valve is). This is a pretty big investment in something I'm not gonna use to often, but I want to be able to see. I've read that glass lenses are preferable to the polycarb's for scratch resistance, but add significant weight. Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Or I could just get lucky and someone could tell me the masks are readily available for rental on the ships ... right?:rolleyes: I didn't think so !

My wife has about the same condition as you. After her first attempt at snorkeling, it was clear that she needed a prescription mask. We went to a local dive shop with her optical prescription, where we bought her a mask and they arranged for lenses to be inserted. These were full lenses, just like she had in her glasses. The cost of the mask, with lenses, was about $150. She has used the mask for 12 years without problems, and will be using it in Tahiti and Hawaii in 2005. In addition, her sister has about the same prescription so she borrows the mask when they go cruising, so it gets double duty.

Your local dive shop has professionals that will get you a proper fit on the mask, as well as make recommendations on which mask you should buy. Most won't try to gouge you because they'll want your repeat business for stuff like a snorkel, fins, and vest. We bought everything from our local dive shop and asked for a discount if we did the package deal, and they happily complied.

Since then I have developed the need for reading glasses, which I need to read my underwater digital camera screen when snorkeling and scuba diving. I had my local dive shop put in some small reading lenses at the bottom of my mask, which act just like bifocals. It's great.

I know it's expensive but you can use the mask for years and buying quality is much cheaper in the long run.

The main thing is finding a mask that fits you and doesn't leak. That's very much a matter of trying as many different masks as possible until you find one that fits you and can be fitted with prescription lenses. There's nothing more miserable than a leaky mask, and you really would be wasting your money if you were to buy one that doesn't fit.

I bought a mask with prescription lenses for a cruise in the Maldives when I was going to do my PADI certification, and it was a real eye-opener (if you'll pardon the pun). It was better than worrying about whether something might happen to wash my contact lenses out.

OLEEANDER

I have a prescription mask that's not my exact prescription. I bought it at our local sporting goods store for about $60. They have 3 strengths (i think). Low, medium and high. I tried all 3 on at the store and bought the medium. My eyes are pretty bad and I was surprised it worked well.

Good luck.

Jan T

After a little more research I've found two dive shops within reasonable driving distance ... so following the advise offered I'll go try on a few masks and see what works best. Thanks for the input with any luck they'll have something suitable to work with.

My partner is a dive instructor. He makes an average of 150 dives a year. He wears contact lenses. He has not lost any and has no problems diving with them.

I use a prescription mask. I do not wear contacts. Too much trouble putting them in....they stick to my fingers and curl back over the fingertips.

Just another option. You might get on the DAN website and ask them a few questions as well.....

Similar to Woodmaster - I wear contacts diving, however my husband wears a mask that we had diopters put in. Diopters are not an exact match to your perscription, so they are normally cheaper. He also checked around and found one shop that charged substanially less than the others. He's been snorkeling & diving with the mask for at least 4 years, and it's still working great. No problems seeing, no problems reading his computer .....

Most important is to find a mask that fits comfortably and doesn't leak. You will hear this mantra over and over again because it is true. This is easier for some folks than others. Faces come in so many shapes and sizes. Some masks can be ordered with general prescription strength lenses which are just popped in by a shop-these are relatively cheap and works if you have a basic prescription and no astigmatism or need for bifocals. I got these for my son and they work well for him. I however, purchsed a mask I liked, and sent it out to California to Prescription Dive Masks (they have a web site). You need your eye Doctor to write out your prescription with the pupil distance on it. The set the prescription into my mask, and I have perfect vision above and below water. Definitely my best dive investment. BTW, I have only seen a few people with purge masks, they don't seem to be favored by most divers. Have never tried one myself.

Archived