Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cruizin0723

Daysail on St. Thomas - Questions!!!!

Here is a review that I recently posted on Rumbaba:

I just returned from St Thomas and my group of 6 sailed with Capt. Bobby on the Rumbaba. To a man, we absolutely recommend to anyone that they consider Rumbaba for their daysail in St Thomas. It was definitely the high point of our cruise. Those who chose the Mahi Mahi for lunch said it was the best meal of the cruise!

The taxi ride to Red Hook was $9 PP each way. Just walk off your ship and grab a taxi. There is such a thing as a Dollar Bus, but we didn't want to be that adventurous. Bobby was very prompt and was waiting for us on the pier at American Marina. Two of our group had never been on a sailboat, but he quickly made them feel at ease. One warning: Capt Bobby is a sailor and as such, you will sail to your snorkeling destination. We saw several sailboats powering to the snorkeling sights. When the wind shifted, we simply changed to a new tach and sailed to a different snorkel sight. There are many sights that are good for snorkelin around St Thomas. The peaceful sail is what we preferred. We still had more than enough time to snorkel as much as we desired.

The snorkel equipment supplied on Rumbaba was first class and they provided everything we needed (right down to the sea spit!). The First Mate Wendy, did a great job keeping everyone's glass full and is quite nice to look at also. On Rumbaba, we enjoyed some of the best snorkeling that we have experienced in the Caribbean. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me (see my profile for address). Rumbaba website: wwwdotrumbabachartersdotcom. I have posted some of my pictures of this excursion at the following website:

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/561935762lGMBoJ

Dave

Hi Trish, Do you want to snorkel as well as sail?

If so check out www.yachtadventures.biz/rates.htm

I want to echo this recommendation -- we just returned from our the Mariner of the Seas and did a 1/2 day sail with Yacht Adventures on Island Girl on December 26th. We had a FANTASTIC time.

Capt. Mike's daughter, Ariel, was waiting on the pier and met us for our sail. We had a short walk to the dinghy (okay, that's relative -- that pier is long!!!) and then a quick ride to the boat. The Island Girl is older and not the most glamorous boat in the water, but very comfortable. Mike and his daugther were very polite and friendly, very laid back and comfortable (no "Capt. Ron" personality!!) It was very interesting to hear about their family and their adventures sailing on Island Girl from California to the Caribbean. Very interesting story.

We had a beautiful sail out to Buck Island and then we got ready to snorkel. The snorkel equipment was wonderful -- very clean and new and easily fit everyone. They had vests, fins, masks and snorkels for all of us (6 of us, although my mom didn't snorkel). The very best part, though, are the sea scooters -- WHAT A BLAST!!!! They call it "lazy man's snorkeling", but I call it "fun way to snorkel." Very easy to operate, and you just glide right through the water in any direction. I imagined that they'd maybe have one or two for us all to share, but we all got our own scooter. I think they would be an especially good option for beginning or tentative snorkelers.

The water is fantastic, perfect temperature, lots to see. We saw rays and turtles out by the boat, then lots of fish and coral at the reef closer to the island. Ariel snorkeled with us, which gave me a level of comfort in keeping track of everyone.

We spent a good hour in the water, then climbed back on the boat. They had sodas and beer and water, and brought out a cheese plate (nothing deluxe, but adequate.)

We had a beautiful sail back to the dock. For $75 a person, it was simply a perfect experience. We loved having the boat to ourselves (just the six of us, rather than a big crowd) and it was just so pleasant and enjoyable. We did the half day (12:00 - 4:00) because of the timing of our cruise. The Mariner doesn't arrive in St. Thomas until 10 am local time, and then it's getting dark by 5:00 pm in late December.

What would make me choose Island Girl again over another charter was the sea scooters - they were so much fun! We had so much fun with them, we're thinking about getting them for our own boat (even though we don't do much snorkeling in the Chesapeake Bay, they'd be fun for swimming around.)

My dh has gotten sea sick on a deep sea fishing trip and also in lake erie. He has never gotten sick on a cruise ship so I'm not sure if he would be ok on a sailboat. We also did a catamaran trip once on st. thomas and he was in the restroom throwing up- not from the rum punch either. Should I not even try the sailboat with him? I really don't want him sick all day- that's no fun. Any advise? The charters look so fun!!

Thanks

My dh has gotten sea sick on a deep sea fishing trip and also in lake erie. He has never gotten sick on a cruise ship so I'm not sure if he would be ok on a sailboat. We also did a catamaran trip once on st. thomas and he was in the restroom throwing up- not from the rum punch either. Should I not even try the sailboat with him? I really don't want him sick all day- that's no fun. Any advise? The charters look so fun!!

Thanks

I think it's pretty iffy -- a monohull sailboat is going to have a lot more movement than a catamaran. If he got sick on that in St. Thomas, it's likely he'd be as bad or worse on a sailboat.

If he does try it, try to stay up on deck in the fresh air. Could he take bonine or another seasick remedy in advance to try to prevent it?

He could take medicine- it's weird because he has never gotten sick on a cruise but the small boats seem to bother him. We have a group of 6 of us and he said he would go as long as we could drop him at a beach if he starts to feel sick. I just hate to spend the $$ if he gets sick- He did take the ferry from Red Hook to St. John and was ok but I think he couldn't go back and forth all day or he'd be sick.

Hello bchbum641,

How about a half day rather than full day, so its not as long a trip for your dh? I've found that TripTone is pretty good for preventing seasickness. If you contacted the charters you were interested in they might be able to suggest some other medicine.

--Islander

I too get very seasick. My husband is water/boat loving fish that never gets sick!!! Since we live on the coast and have a boat I have tried all kinds of things to keep from getting sick and able to go out with him. The one that has worked best for me and least amount of side effects are the battery operated wrist bands with the conductioning gel. Just put it on and turn up the pulse from 1-5 that sick feeling goes away. I also take some ginger root pills starting the day before. This has worked for me and I even get sick on cruise ships. Hope this helps!!

There is NO comparing the movement of a monohull sailboat to a cruiseship. I'd suggest avoiding a sail charter, or do a half day.

I just returned from St Thomas and my group of 6 sailed with Capt. Bobby on the Rumbaba. To a man, we absolutely recommend to anyone that they consider Rumbaba for their daysail in St Thomas. It was definitely the high point of our cruise. Those who chose the Mahi Mahi for lunch said it was the best meal of the cruise!

The taxi ride to Red Hook was $9 PP each way. Just walk off your ship and grab a taxi. There is such a thing as a Dollar Bus, but we didn't want to be that adventurous. Bobby was very prompt and was waiting for us on the pier at American Marina. Two of our group had never been on a sailboat, but he quickly made them feel at ease. One warning: Capt Bobby is a sailor and as such, you will sail to your snorkeling destination. We saw several sailboats powering to the snorkeling sights. When the wind shifted, we simply changed to a new tach and sailed to a different snorkel sight. There are many sights that are good for snorkelin around St Thomas. The peaceful sail is what we preferred. We still had more than enough time to snorkel as much as we desired.

The snorkel equipment supplied on Rumbaba was first class and they provided everything we needed (right down to the sea spit!). The First Mate Wendy, did a great job keeping everyone's glass full and is quite nice to look at also. On Rumbaba, we enjoyed some of the best snorkeling that we have experienced in the Caribbean. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me (see my profile for address). Rumbaba website: wwwdotrumbabachartersdotcom. I have posted some of my pictures of this excursion at the following website:

Dave

I am just curious as to what kind of underwater camera you used in those shots?

Dave

I agree with everything in Dave's review... Food is EXCELLENT, and by far the best Mahi-Mahi I have ever tasted..:)

A side NOTE: Bobby comes to Pier B at American Yacht Harbor in a motorized dingy.... He takes passengers three at a time to Rumbaba which is moored close by..! One MUST be able to climb about 3 feet down the side of a pier, and back out on returning, into/out of the dingy.. :(

If anyone is 'fluffy' in your group, or 'vertically challenged'/handicapped in any way, please be aware that this could be an 'issue'.. You must also be able to get into the dingy from waist deep water, if you do 'beach snorkeling'..

All in all, a wonderful time, but this could be an issue for some... Just a 'heads up'..:D

I'm glad I cancelled his excursion then. I am far from being limber and agile!
I thought it may be an 'issue' for some, and one must realize this is a mono-hull sailing vessel... A 'Cat' (two hull vessel) may be more adaptable for some....:)

None of our group were physically challenged, tho' climbing onto a pier from a dingy (as well as in to) is questionable in my opinion..

I was under the impression when we first booked that the Rumbaba was docked at a pier.... :p

I own a 30' motor vessel (MV) in Erie, and climbing onboard FROM a pier can be troublesome at times... :eek:

Again, just a 'heads up'.... Their sailboat and offering/excursion is absolutely wonderful, but there are definitely limits for some... ;)

For those with NO limitations, please book the Rumbaba... A GREAT time and GREAT food!:D

I am the 'fluffy' one in Stlrboo's group;) & I must add that getting in and out of that dingy was embarrasing to say the least!:eek: The worst part was climbing back up to the pier from the dinghy, which was literally climbing the pier (the slats on the pier, not a ladder). The climb up was more than 3 feet I'm sure. It felt like 10 feet, but I know it wasn't that much. However, you had to stand on the inflated sides of the dinghy and then climb up an additional 2 or 3 slats. It was a good thing there were some mighty good humored and strong guys around to assist. I also have arthritis in my knee, so once I was on the dock I had trouble standing up as there was nothing to hang onto except for my gallant helpers.

Otherwise, it was a great day. The sailboat was lovely and the food great. Bobby took us to a nice snorkeling spot where we saw a lot of reef fish and colorful coral. It was an uncrowded and unspoiled spot away from the usual tourist areas.

If you are agile enough to handle the dinghy situation you'll have a great time. If not, you may want to check out other options.

It has been 2 years since we sailed with Rhumbaba, but they were the absolute best. Captain Bobby is a real character. Food, booze and service were great. We would recommend them with no hesitation.

Does he only have one boat?

Yes, only the one. However, some other people went on High Pockets which seemed to have a similar experience. If he's full, you may want to give them a try.:)

Our family of 6 sailed with Captain Kathleen on High Pockets on March 31 and it was the highlight of our vacation. The sailing was great, took us to a calm cove for snorkeling, and had a wonderful lunch. Her rum cake and rum swizlers were the best!! She was ver professional, and answered e-mails very promptly. I would sail with her again on our next trip to St. Thomas. The cost was $125 or $115 cash. Her website is http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/.

If Rumbaba and High Pockets are both unavailable, who would you choose? We're going in September and it seems that some boats will be unavailable.

We are going with Daysail Fantasy as High Pockets is not sailing in September. It is a great sail and so far there is room for 4 more-we will be on Mariner so we will not get to Red Hook until 10 a.m. Please join us on September 17, 2008

From Pamela on Fantasy Day sail

Thank you so much for inquiring about Daysail Fantasy! We would love to take you sailing! The day sail is $135 per person or just $125 per person if you pay with cash and this includes an open bar all day, (we make the very best Bloody Mary's and Rum punches!!!), a light continental breakfast snack, and a hot tropical lunch served on board under a huge shade bimini. We also provide snorkel gear with special floats that make it fun and easy for everyone, any age ~ you can even take your drink with you!!

Our gentle sail takes us to the St. John National Park and surrounding cays for some world famous snorkeling and beach combing, our destination chosen daily depending on wind, currents, and snorkel abilities. We avoid the beaten path and take you to a beautiful calm cove with a white sandy beach and great snorkeling where you can swim with the turtles! Fantasy has a custom made, deep ladder for easy entrance/exit from the water, where there is a fresh water rinse after swimming. We also include a fishing rod for trolling while under sail ~ Might catch lunch!

Fantasy has a large bimini over the entire, fully cushioned cockpit and there are also cushions on the cabin top and a large mat on the bow for lots of places to lounge on the boat. There is also a full cabin with a clean head (bathroom!) and a CD player with lots of Jimmy Buffet. After a few hours of snorkeling and beaching, our hot Caribbean lunch is served at the beautifully appointed cockpit table, followed by a gentle downwind sail back to St. Thomas.

We meet at 10 am in Red Hook, returning by 3:30 and we only take up to six guests. If you would like the boat for just your group (optional), you can pay for the extra spaces to make six. With a minimum of four, we can also send our driver, Wally, to pick you up both ways. He charges the standard fare, but just for our guests, includes a really nice tour of our beautiful island for no extra charge and you’ll have a private van.

To make a reservation, we just need a Master or Visa card number with the exact name and the expiration date and a cell phone number that you’re bringing with you to hold your space (you may then pay with cash on board to get the discount). You can send the information in two separate emails for additional security or call me at 340-775-5652, and I will send you a confirmation with all the details on where to meet and what to bring. You have up to 72 hours prior to the sail to cancel and we don’t charge if your ship diverts to another port.

Please make your reservations early as we fill up very quickly.

We hope you'll join us on Fantasy for what is typically the very best day of your vacation!

Thanks so much!

Capt. Pam

Daysail Fantasy

340-775-5652

340-513-3212 cell

www.DaysailFantasy.com

Winner ‘Best Daysail St. Thomas’ 2004 & 2006 & 2007 & 2008

Wish we could, but we will be there on the 10th. We're on the Freedom of the Seas. I am seriously considering the Fantasy. It comes highly recommended. The other one that was recommended is the Ike Witt with Captain Pat. Do you happen to know how big the Fantasy is?