Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cruizin0723

Daysail on St. Thomas - Questions!!!!

We day sail with Captain Pat on INDEPENDENCE, a 44' sailboat. She's flexible as to itineraries. We chose last time to spend more time sailing vs. anchoring and it was great. Lots of wind and we were really moving! Don't recall the price ($125ish not incl tips) but it's competitive and includes lunch and the best rum punch. Max of six passengers. You can yahoo or google Independence St. thomas and her web site will come up. She's in STT from November to June. We look forward to our next day sail with her in November!

Highpockets is unavailable starting 8/3 because they are going to New England to stay away from hurrican season, or at least that is what Kathleen asked.

For the question about the differences in New Horizons..

New Horizons Day Sail is a full day sail on a sailboat that goes snorkeling in areas around St. John (Great St. James and Honeymoon Beach, I believe). We have been on this sail MANY times and continue to keep going as it is one of our favorite activities on the island. You get breakfast, lunch, snack, and many many drinks :D. We get 50% off for staying at Bluebeard's Castle, but I'm willing to bet if you inquired about their 50% discount, you might have a shot at getting it, which is what we did.

New Horizons II is a powerboat that goes to the Baths, Virgin Gorda, and I believe White Bay and Soggy Dollar Bar. We have done this one as well and had a great time, but we favor the sail boat since it is more relaxing. At some points on the NH II, we had to hold on for dear life! You can't really walk around on this boat since you are going so fast. NH II gives some discount (I like the largest discount we have seen this year while researching was 20%) but my dad swears they used to have a coupon in St. Thomas this Week or one of those brochures, for 50% off.

They are both great rides. I guess it just depends if you love speed or relaxing, and what sights you want to see! If you have any more questions on NH or NH II, let me know!

We did the day sail on Rumbaba last week...and I can't say enough about it!! My heart's desire was to take the helm and Captain Bobby was kind enough to allow me to sail us back from our adventure. I had planned this trip for my non-saiing family and they were incredibly impressed with the boat, the snorkeling, the scenery and the LUNCH....now, I gotta say that Captain Bobby and his crewmate that day, Laurie, made us a meal that gives a whole new meaning to Cheeseburgers in Paradise!!! The food aboard Rumbaba would impress Emeril!! There were free-flowing drinks from the moment we got aboard. We had Bloody Marys and Rum Runners, and some delicious blueberry cornbread. Water, soda and beer were also plentiful.

I must also add that I was very panicked at the start of the day because Mariner of the Seas was an hour late letting us all off the boat. I easily reached Rumbaba on their cell phone and he ease my worries in a simple sentence: "we're waiting for you....whenever you get here, you get here...no worries" and true to his word, he was on the dock when we arrived. The dingy's name is Runtbaba, and from the moment I saw that I knew we would enjoy our day. A great sense of humor, good food, unlimited drinks, stories, and excellent seamanship make our day aboard Rumbaba our favorite cruise memory...and we're only back for three days!!! Any specific questions? Ask away....or email me directly for a more indepth review.

If you want to travel more than 3 miles I would suggest a catamaran or a power boat to the BVI's. Most day sails leave Red Hook and go to St. John or St James. You must decide if doing a daysail, your budget, if you want a private boat or a cattle (anybody can go - usually up to 40 people). Cattle boats are more party boats - rum drunk boats - don't suggest for a family with young children.

If you want to travel more than 3 miles I would suggest a catamaran or a power boat to the BVI's. Most day sails leave Red Hook and go to St. John or St James. You must decide if doing a daysail, your budget, if you want a private boat or a cattle (anybody can go - usually up to 40 people). Cattle boats are more party boats - rum drunk boats - don't suggest for a family with young children. Remember that you get what you pay for - cheaper isn't always better.

For the question about the differences in New Horizons..

New Horizons Day Sail is a full day sail on a sailboat that goes snorkeling in areas around St. John (Great St. James and Honeymoon Beach, I believe). We have been on this sail MANY times and continue to keep going as it is one of our favorite activities on the island. You get breakfast, lunch, snack, and many many drinks :D. We get 50% off for staying at Bluebeard's Castle, but I'm willing to bet if you inquired about their 50% discount, you might have a shot at getting it, which is what we did.

New Horizons II is a powerboat that goes to the Baths, Virgin Gorda, and I believe White Bay and Soggy Dollar Bar. We have done this one as well and had a great time, but we favor the sail boat since it is more relaxing. At some points on the NH II, we had to hold on for dear life! You can't really walk around on this boat since you are going so fast. NH II gives some discount (I like the largest discount we have seen this year while researching was 20%) but my dad swears they used to have a coupon in St. Thomas this Week or one of those brochures, for 50% off.

They are both great rides. I guess it just depends if you love speed or relaxing, and what sights you want to see! If you have any more questions on NH or NH II, let me know!

Unfortunately, because of the length of the sail, NH II is not available for cruise ship passengers.

We sailed on NH I earlier this month during our stop in St Thomas. We went with them as we had 7 in our group and most daysails are for groups of 6. We had a great time but the boat was chock full of people (over 30!)...when I asked about it I found out that many who were on land vacations had been asked to switch to this date since we were unable to switch our date.

I would love to hear more about your Rumbaba trip. We have booked this charter in September. I couldn't find an email address to contact you directly.

Hi,

I'd be very happy to send you some info...drop me a note to my email address anndmd@comcast.net, and I will share our experiences in greater detail...and if you have any specific questions, fire away!

~Callandre

Here is a review that I recently posted on Rumbaba:

I just returned from St Thomas and my group of 6 sailed with Capt. Bobby on the Rumbaba. To a man, we absolutely recommend to anyone that they consider Rumbaba for their daysail in St Thomas. It was definitely the high point of our cruise. Those who chose the Mahi Mahi for lunch said it was the best meal of the cruise!

The taxi ride to Red Hook was $9 PP each way. Just walk off your ship and grab a taxi. There is such a thing as a Dollar Bus, but we didn't want to be that adventurous. Bobby was very prompt and was waiting for us on the pier at American Marina. Two of our group had never been on a sailboat, but he quickly made them feel at ease. One warning: Capt Bobby is a sailor and as such, you will sail to your snorkeling destination. We saw several sailboats powering to the snorkeling sights. When the wind shifted, we simply changed to a new tach and sailed to a different snorkel sight. There are many sights that are good for snorkelin around St Thomas. The peaceful sail is what we preferred. We still had more than enough time to snorkel as much as we desired.

The snorkel equipment supplied on Rumbaba was first class and they provided everything we needed (right down to the sea spit!). The First Mate Wendy, did a great job keeping everyone's glass full and is quite nice to look at also. On Rumbaba, we enjoyed some of the best snorkeling that we have experienced in the Caribbean. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me (see my profile for address). Rumbaba website: wwwdotrumbabachartersdotcom. I have posted some of my pictures of this excursion at the following website:

Dave

See my comments after doing Rumbaba last Fall.

If anyone is interested in New Horizons, I have a movie I made of our day....http://gallery.me.com/flipfloppincastaways#gallery

it's under Freedom Day 4 St T

The good news is that you actually have a bunch of good choices that will turn out great.

The bad news is that you still have a decision to make.

I spoke with most of the captains mentioned in the prior posts: Jester; Rumbaba; Island Girl; Independence; and others all have positive reviews and the folks seem easy to work with. I ended up picking Jolly Mon. Captain Gayle has been terrific about communicating with me. The boat is gorgeous. The clincher for me was that Jolly Mon sails right out of Charlotte Amalie. There is no need to take a taxi anywhere. The downside is that this limits the ability to sail toward St. John, but opens other areas to the south.

I'll be happy to post my thoughts after we get back, but I really suspect there are so many good choices that there is no need to find the "perfect" one.

We sailed with Jolly Mon last April. It was a phenomenal experience. We too chose it since it was right where the ships dock. I was surprised when we were met with a rubber boat to take us out to the sailboat. Be prepared to get a little wet on the way to the sailboat. Gayle was great about keeping in touch and e-mailed me with her cell phone number. I turned on my phone in St. Thomas and had a voicemail from her letting us know when and exactly where to meet up with them. She called again to make sure I had gotten her message. She also let me know that her daughter would be taking us out that day. Sarah was great. She has a degree in marine biology and got in the water with us for the snorkelling. It was by far the best snorkelling we had ever done since she was able to tell us what we were seeing!

Glad to know I picked a "good one."

Gayle has been very nice to work with. We are really looking forward to a great day.

I'll post more when we get back (2 wks).