TheGyms on the Ships......

sail7seas

I'll occasionally go to the gym in the early morning to use the free weights, but I get most of my exercise walking around the deck a couple of miles at a time. On our last cruise, I gained just one pound and I didn't go hungry.

I notice that some lines (including HAL) are now charging for some classes. I won't go to those. I do hope the gym equipment remains complimentary.

I don't have a set time that I use the gym, but if I'm not there by early afternoon, don't expect to see me there. Most likely times are before breakfast and before lunch.

I like using the elliptical machines, but I think they're fairly rare on cruise ships. I also like using weights, but usually what is there is fairly limited. Of course, they're a lot better than not going to the gym.

I would be quite unhappy if they eliminated the gym, and would make other suggestions. Of course the gym does not bring in any revenue (aside from a few classes) so I'm surprised they're still there. I would probably pay a modest fee to use it for the cruise, but would probably not use it if it were a pay as you go item. If they charged a fee, I would expect a step up in the equipment that they have. In fact, having to pay for its use would probably get me there more.;)

DH uses the gyms on the ship. Even before he had a stroke and a heart attack he went to his atletic club 5 times a week to use a tread mill and work out.

He is usually in the gym by 6 AM when we don't have tours scheduled.

Depending upon how much they would charge, would depend if he would pay to use the gym.

i use the gym on every cruise. i usually go in the morning before breakfast. i would be very unhappy if they removed the gym. i participate in some of the free exercise classes they offer, but i do not pay for any of their classes, these should also be complimentary in my opinion.

I won't pay to use it - and I don't pay for their classes. I use it on longer cruises - usually we stay so busy, I get enough exercise.

Orcrone- I like elliptical machines too - thinking of buying one for our little basement "fitness center" - too bad I can't read CC boards and work out at the same time! :) I'd get a much longer workout...

Orcrone- I like elliptical machines too - thinking of buying one for our little basement "fitness center" - too bad I can't read CC boards and work out at the same time! :) I'd get a much longer workout...
Develop an elliptical machine with a build in flat panel display attached to a computer. Use the mouse and get some voice recognition software and you're there.:)

Develop an elliptical machine with a build in flat panel display attached to a computer. Use the mouse and get some voice recognition software and you're there.:)

Will you make one of those for me TOO!!!! I'd be on my machines so much longer if I could read/and post while working out!!!

I really appreciate there being gyms on the ships and use them regularly. My favorite time is between 6:00 and 6:30 A.M. I have always risen earlier than DH when we travel and I have wasted so many hours sitting around waiting for him to get up. Sure I'd read, enjoy the sunrise, the veranda....But I finally smartened up and now go to the gym and get my workout.

I stop at Neptune Lounge for a coffee on the way back to our cabin to clean up and the DH is ready for breakfast. Works out great.

I would be VERY sorry and would miss if the gym was no longer available. I would pay a reasonable sum if that was necessary to keep having one possible.

Sail, You have been busy this morning;) I definitely use the gym. I especially like the early morning like about 6:30 when the ship is just coming into port on a port days. I exercise early in the morning at home also. I usually only manage 5 days while on a 7 day cruise. Now that I have lost a consierable amount of weight I feel I need to exercise daily and that is it just part of my life style.

Would I pay for the gym???? That depends what extras they would offer for charging. I might be willing to pay $10.00 a week and unlimited bottles of water.

I definitely would not want them to take the gym away nor do I see that ever happening.

We're both in the gym everyday, first thing in the morning, unless we're in port very early that day. Usually run on the treadmill, then work out in the afternoon. I remember when Pilates classes, etc. were free. Went to many classes when Passport to Fitness was still in effect. I may pay for a spinning class, but will do my own thing for free. We both would very much miss having gym facilities on future ships.

I use the gym on board, as I exercise daily at home and don't feel right without it. On sea days I power-walk on deck in the morning and often use the gym later in the day, and on port days I usually use the gym in the late afternoon before changing for dinner.

Would be unhappy if there was no gym. My husband is handicapped, so we can't take energetic shore excursions, and I'd get too restless without my accustomed exercise.

I'd probably be willing to pay a modest fee if it came to that, but as a one-time fee, not pay-as-you-go. As for the fees now charged on board, isn't that for specialized classes like yoga and Pilates (I haven't sailed on HAL since May 2003)? I think those instructors have more specialized training than aerobics teachers and I can sort of see some justification for charging.

Interesting questions.

CL

WHAT???? There are gyms on the ships????? Holy cow!

only kidding!

Yep, we use the treadmills and like to go in the early morning before breakfast.

I would like to see more treadmills. It seems they are the most popular item and even in the early morning sometimes, we have to wait, espeically if one or more of them are out of order.

No, I probably would not pay to use the gym equipment. We would then just use the lower prom deck for walking. Hopefully HAL will not impose a toll fee for that!

Having a gym on board ship is a must for gym-rats like me. Okay, I admit it, I'm vain and the thought of putting on a couple of pounds during a cruise is unacceptable! Not to mention getting back into a routine after a week off can be very tough.

We used the gym almost daily on our last cruise after running 3 miles on the promenade deck each afternoon (yes, sorry, that was me that bumped into you - many apologies!). I work out at the end of the afternoon at home each day so it made sense to continue the same regimen at sea - went into the gym to do the Cybex machines around 4:30. The gym was not crowded at this time. Did not take any classes. I might pay a reasonable fee ($5, for example) but hope it stays free - it allows me to indulge more in the rest of the offerings and to feel pretty good. There's nothing like a workout at sea!

hmmm... interesting! I'm sure DH could think of something - he likes those type of challenges... he has hung my TV from one of those ceiling thingy's so I can see that from the Treadmill... I'll have to have him work on the computer problem :)

Love the gym and depend on it to help with my "battle of the bulge," which definitely becomes an issue on a food-laden cruise.

I, too,like to go early in the morning. I have paid for classes (pilates) but was disappointed by the quality. My expectations may have been too high since I teach pilates after school to fellow teachers.

Would I pay for gym priviliges? Yes, but would resent another add on fee.

HAL, and all other cruise lines, have a moral obligation to provide gym facilities so we can work up a good appetite.

Otherwise, too much food would go to waste and we'd be stricken by guilt about all those starving children our mothers told us about.

[quote name=bryanwal....... on our last cruise after running 3 miles on the promenade deck each afternoon (yes, sorry, that was me that bumped into you - many apologies!).

[/quote]

As someone who walks Promenade Deck everyday, I find no humor in your running on the deck where no running is permitted and then finding it humorous.

I was not laughing when, just shortly after open heart surgery, a runner on Promenade Deck hit me from behind and laughed their fool *^) off.

The next one who does that........I'll have charged with assault and you can bet I will pursue it.

Take your running where it belongs!!!

(Too 'dam' bad if you do not like this message....I do not like your picking and choosing which rules you care to follow.)

While on the Zuiderdam this summer, there were no signs posted for no running on the Promendade deck. There were plenty of runners as well as walkers on deck most of the time. Other than the occasional person walking against the normal traffic flow, all seemed to coexist without any problems. I admit that I ran in the early a.m. hours when only a handful of passengers were even up. A nice change, in my opinion to the treadmill in the gym. Again, there was no mention in the booklets in the room or on the Promenade deck about running. All other HAL ships we've been on have been quite specific. You will find that most runners, as well as walkers are quite courteous to each other.

I like to get plenty of exercise whether at home or cruising. Depending on the weather and the ship I will try to get in either a brisk walk on the promenade deck (at least 3 miles), a few sets of paddle tennis or something similar, or an hour in the gym. Generally, I prefer to exercise in the afternoon (after 3 PM).

I have been on only one HAL ship so far (Rotterdam VI). It's gym was pretty well equipped, and I was able to do pretty much the same workout routine that I do at home.

Since the food is included in the fare, the gym needs to be included in the fare as well.

One thing that I missed on Rotterdam was a well-organized sports program. While the gym was very good, there did not seem to be many organized sports events, but this particular cruise was very port intensive so that may explain it.

While on the Zuiderdam this summer, there were no signs posted for no running on the Promendade deck. There were plenty of runners as well as walkers on deck most of the time. Other than the occasional person walking against the normal traffic flow, all seemed to coexist without any problems. I admit that I ran in the early a.m. hours when only a handful of passengers were even up. A nice change, in my opinion to the treadmill in the gym. Again, there was no mention in the booklets in the room or on the Promenade deck about running. All other HAL ships we've been on have been quite specific. You will find that most runners, as well as walkers are quite courteous to each other.

IF there was no sign stating no running...which I doubt, it was clearly written regularly in the daily program. No running is permitted on Promenade Deck on any HAL ship.

There is a jogging track for that. Go to Sports Deck for jogging. I think you may be just a tad disingenuous to say you did not know you were not supposed to be running on Promenade Deck. I think you had some clue perhaps you were breaking the rule but chose to continue as you wished to jog. It has always been clearly posted. And it is ALWAYS in the daily program.

Archived