footwear

SueF

OK, maybe a silly question....but for those of you who wear jeans, are you allowed to wear sneakers with them in the dining areas? We are on the Majesty in a couple of weeks, and one of the people in our group will probably wear jeans most nights, and his wife asked if OK to wear nice sneakers with them. I have never worn jeans on a cruise, so wasn't sure how to answer!

Thanks!

Sue

OK, maybe a silly question....but for those of you who wear jeans, are you allowed to wear sneakers with them in the dining areas? We are on the Majesty in a couple of weeks, and one of the people in our group will probably wear jeans most nights, and his wife asked if OK to wear nice sneakers with them. I have never worn jeans on a cruise, so wasn't sure how to answer!

Thanks!

Sue

Why not! I hate to ask the definition of nice vs not nice sneakers but since NCL has basically thrown the dress code overboard, sneakers should be just fine with the jeans. Now if you are on a caribbean cruise I see nothing wrong with going barefoot. Lots of people never wear shoes with their jeans when at home so why start when on vacation.

Enjoy the cruise.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you were being sarcastic, because I was slightly offended by your reply. No need to be mean...if you don't want to answer my question, then don't. But to start to comment about being barefoot, etc...well, it was uncalled for. The question was a legitimate one....

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you were being sarcastic, because I was slightly offended by your reply. No need to be mean...if you don't want to answer my question, then don't. But to start to comment about being barefoot, etc...well, it was uncalled for. The question was a legitimate one....

So was the answer. If you want to wear jeans I have no problem with you also not wearing shoes. Why would you be offended by that reply?

But if the ship requires footwear those shower thingies are ok. I think they are called flipper floppers or something like that. Not up on all things fashionable these days so please excuse me if I don't get the names correct but you know what I mean.

So was the answer. If you want to wear jeans I have no problem with you also not wearing shoes. Why would you be offended by that reply?

Obviously you are one of the people on this board who does not want jeans worn in the dining rooms. Personally, I don't plan to wear jeans, but since those in my party are, I want to be sure they are dressed appropriately. As I am sure you are well aware, shoes are required...so therefore your response was quite rude. Again, if you can't say anything nice....then don't respond to my questions.

Wow...new cruiser here. I thought it was a legitamate question. Never would have thought otherwise. I will say however, after reading this board for a few weeks that I NCl was a little less dressy. I wouldnt wear sneakers either but as long as they were nice I wouldnt snear at anyone else!

My thinking is that if you are going to wear jeans, at least wearing footwear that is NOT sneakers can dress it up a little....I have seen nice jeans with heels and a nice sweater that works great...my husband is debating wearing jeans, his nice brown shoes (the ones he wears with dockers) and a polo shirt. Perfectly appropriate at our country club clubhouse....

I still doubt I will wear jeans.

Obviously you are one of the people on this board who does not want jeans worn in the dining rooms. Personally, I don't plan to wear jeans, but since those in my party are, I want to be sure they are dressed appropriately. As I am sure you are well aware, shoes are required...so therefore your response was quite rude. Again, if you can't say anything nice....then don't respond to my questions.

I don't think the response was rude, i just think you took it the wrong way. People will wear whatever they want anyway... someone always pushing the limits. Maybe the comment was meant to say even less than sneakers would have been ok too - like flip flops as was mentioned. You have to admit, that's pretty close to bare feet!

Golly, NCL doesn't require formal dress, why should they require dress shoes?

You're on vacation. You're on your feet alot. You're walking on third world streets and sidewalks, or a gravel path in many places. You've been drinking water with more salt than normal. You're ankles are swelling. You're feet are aching. There's no way you're going to get my feet into a pair of dress shoes.

Sneakers are perfectly okay. I rather you be comfortable than lame. Personally, I wear a pair of dockers, or deck shoes, when I'm on a cruise ship. They are comfortable, and that is what should count the most.

I have never worn anything but sneakers to dinner on any NCL cruise.

I also have a foot problem that does not allow me to wear any type of loafer shoe or hard sided shoe...so dress shoes are out all the way for me. On my cruise on another line next year, I will have to wear sneakers on the silly formal night and I will have a doctor's note with me.

Songanddance has long been anti-Freestyle Dress Code and snide comments toward parts of it are normal.

Songanddance has long been anti-Freestyle Dress Code and snide comments toward parts of it are normal.

What I fail to comprehend is that people who think NCL is "beneath" them would hang out on the NCL boards? Just to make the newbies uncomfortable? For shame! :mad: They should crawl back under the Cunard rock they came from.

I wonder if I misunderstood the question. I know it was about wearing jeans...but...was it referring to wearing jeans in the dining room? I thought jeans were NOT permitted in the dining room. At least that's my understanding on all of the cruises I've been on. On our cruise on Princess last year people were not permitted to enter the dining room in jeans. Does NCL have different rules? Are jeans allowed in the dining room? I'm booked on the Dawn in May for Bermuda and I would very much like to know what their dress policy is regarding jeans. I do know that the dress code on NCL is rather relaxed in comparison to the other lines. I would really appreciate any information about this. Thanks in advance.

I wonder if I misunderstood the question. I know it was about wearing jeans...but...was it referring to wearing jeans in the dining room? I thought jeans were NOT permitted in the dining room. At least that's my understanding on all of the cruises I've been on. On our cruise on Princess last year people were not permitted to enter the dining room in jeans. Does NCL have different rules? Are jeans allowed in the dining room? I'm booked on the Dawn in May for Bermuda and I would very much like to know what their dress policy is regarding jeans. I do know that the dress code on NCL is rather relaxed in comparison to the other lines. I would really appreciate any information about this. Thanks in advance.

Below is a link to a Cruise Critic article that I think answers dress code questions (including jeans) nicely. It is broken down by each specific cruise line.

According to the article, some lines do allow jeans.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=545

Why not! I hate to ask the definition of nice vs not nice sneakers but since NCL has basically thrown the dress code overboard, sneakers should be just fine with the jeans. Now if you are on a caribbean cruise I see nothing wrong with going barefoot. Lots of people never wear shoes with their jeans when at home so why start when on vacation.

Enjoy the cruise.

I believe shoes are probably required just like any land restaurant. I noticed on my last cruise, three couples traveling together who's dress while dining together in the dining room ranged from casual to pretty formal. It was nice to see people enjoying their vacation and dressing how they felt comfortable.

Princess now allows jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights. Carnival allows them as well. On our last 3 Carnival cruises at least 30% of the people in the dining room at dinner were wearing jeans.

It is my understanding that jeans are allowed in the Specialty Restaurants and 1 of the 2 main dining rooms on NCL ships. Our furst NCL cruise is a few weeks away, but this is what I've read at the NCL site.

What I fail to comprehend is that people who think NCL is "beneath" them would hang out on the NCL boards? Just to make the newbies uncomfortable? For shame! :mad: They should crawl back under the Cunard rock they came from.

Some seem to "surface" whenever the dress code is the topic.

I expect to see a few more with their usual derogatory remarks:rolleyes:

Sure doesn't help the newbies!

It is my understanding that jeans are allowed in the Specialty Restaurants and 1 of the 2 main dining rooms on NCL ships. Our furst NCL cruise is a few weeks away, but this is what I've read at the NCL site.

We were on the Dawn last month.

Jeans were allowed in ALL dining rooms, every night with the exception of the Venetian (main) restaurant.

Signs outside all restaurants were no shorts for dinner - the Venetian was no shorts or jeans for dinner.

That being said, I did watch as this was the first time that there was not a "no jeans" sign for dinner at all restaurants.

Jeans were in all of the restaurants at dinner time even in the Venetian.

We were not in the Venetian for the "dress up or not" evenings so not sure they were permitted into the Venetian for those evenings for dinner in jeans.

Before the "uproar" starts....this is Freestyle - like it or leave it:)....

and, NO, I do not wear jeans to dinner...someday I may:D

I have never worn anything but sneakers to dinner on any NCL cruise.

I also have a foot problem that does not allow me to wear any type of loafer shoe or hard sided shoe...so dress shoes are out all the way for me. On my cruise on another line next year, I will have to wear sneakers on the silly formal night and I will have a doctor's note with me.

Don't forget your tux!

Sorry, I couldn't resist:D

I just don't understand why people care so much about what others wear. We all have paid for the cruise, it is our vacation, why shouldn't people be able to wear whatever they want, as long as the important parts are covered? :confused: Or are these just the people who complain about anything and everything?

Archived