Progreso Resort Beach Break

Krazcruiser

Gf and I deciding on what to do in Progreso . Will be there on

Voyager in January ( CANT WAIT ) .

Since Dean took out Costa Maya we feel we have to do something

in Progreso .

Has any body done the progreso resort beach break , at the reef

club beach resort ? And if so how was it ?

THANKS , KRAZCRUISER

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I went there with my family in Sept. we did a super combo offered not thru Carvinal. When you get to the end of the peir there are tons are tour guides offering the same excurision for half the cost. We choose to do that instead it included Mayan ruin tours, flamigo tours, and 2 1/2 hrs. at the Reef Beach Club. This was all offered for only $45 pp versus $99 from cruise line. The tour bus got us back to the end of the pier to board 2 hrs. before departure. The beach was okay, shelly and the water was clear saw a few colorful fish. The resort had an awesome pool and all drinks, and food was included. It was a great day for us all. This is really good for someone who wants to see a little of everything.:)

We did the resort beach break in Sept. 2006. The only problem we had were so many drunks on the bus ride back to the pier. One woman, probably in her mid-40's, was so drunk she threw up outside the bus in the flower bed, then passed out. They still loaded her on the bus and drove 40 minutes back to the pier. She had to go to the infirmary when we got back. It's not a good trip if you have children with you. It was kind of like a booze cruise on a bus for the return trip.

The resort was nice. The beach was OK...kind of smelly. The pool area was great and that's where we all spent the day.

• 2 weeks later...
for those that did this but not thru the ship...how long where you at the reef club? if we try to get off the ship as soon as possible could we get atleast 4 hrs of resort time..(not including the drive there and back)

thanks

We booked thru AutoProgreso last year. The bus didn't leave the flea market in town until 10:30 and I think that the whole tour with travel time was about 4 1/2 hours. You can spend the entire time at the resort if you don't want to see the ruins. It seemed like a short trip, but it was well worth the price. I would do it again.

• 1 month later...
Now we might have to look into this one. Sounds good. Is this the ONLY beach break they have in Progresso? Any others to compare? Also how far is it from the pier?

Thanks guys,

Danielle

There may be more available in port, but this is the only one that I have been to personally. This place is nice. I wish that I had enough computer savvy to post some pix. If I remember right it was maybe a 20 to 30 minute drive on an air conditioned van. The only other beach that we have hit in Progreso is Corona Beach and you can walk to it from the bus stop. No need to take a tour for it.

We have a group of 5 and we would like to spend our ENTIRE day at the resort (we arrive at 8:00 Progreso time).:D Can we do this? I keep reading that a "bus" takes you there at 10:30 and brings you back at 1:30, yet we don't sail until 5:00 Progreso time. Is there any other way to book this excursion with longer resort time? Thank you for any information!!:cool:

As you are a larger group, you might want to consider renting a van and driver. Take the free shuttle from the boat to the Casa de Cultura. Walk south, away from the Gulf, on Calle 80 to the main square, just a few blocks. The taxis and vans park there. The Reef does often close at 3 pm on cruise ship days if they are not currently open to overnight guests. You can email them at cuartos@reefyucatan.com for more information, in English.

I have emailed the resort to inquire about a "group rate" and also about their hours the day we are in Progreso. I indicated to them that we were considering renting a van and driver for the day and that we have a group of at least 7 and would like to arrive around 9:00 a.m. and stay until 3:00 p.m. I will post their reply here as soon as I receive it! :cool:

Again....much thanks!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

OK....I wanted to write just a little about what a SUPER FANTASTIC FUN day we spent in Progreso at the Reef Yucatan Resort!!! I still cannot believe the AWESOME time we had!!! I've visited MANY all-inclusive resorts in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Mayan Riveria...NOTHING compares!!! From the beauty and cleanliness of the resort, to the DELICIOUS food and plentiful and flowing drinks....but above all.....INDESCRIBABLE OUTSTANDING SERVICE we all had!!!! WOO HOO!!! Cannot IMAGINE a better day and we will for SURE be planning another cruise that has Progreso on it's itinerary and visiting Oscar and the crew ASAP!!! :D :D

Oscar, Roberto, Susan, Francisco (and ALL the other bar waiters), Chefs (and all the waiters) .....EVERYONE WAS AWESOME and we cannot WAIT to go back!!! If you are looking for 5* accommodations and service...THIS IS IT!!!

There were 10 in our group. We walked to the main square and rented a van and driver for the day for $80 USD... NOTE - make SURE your driver knows where he is taking you BEFORE you leave as most do NOT speak English and our driver misunderstood where he was to take us...needless to say communicating was close to impossible but we were FINALLY able to get through to him that we did NOT want to go to Merida, but to Reef Resort....it cost us about 40 minutes of our day to correct that mistake, but no harm was done and a FANTASTIC time was enjoyed by ALL!!!!! We were able to spend 6 hours at the resort instead of the 3 hours offered by AutoProgreso and the Cruiseline (for MUCH less $$$$, too!!!) WOO HOO I do love it when a plan comes together!!!!

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME IN PROGRESO!!!!

Thanks to Yucatan Today for the email address for Oscar....I OWE YOU BIG TIME!!!!:D :D :D

Clackey.....I just want to keep this post at the top of the Progreso Board!! I am already looking for another cruise that will take me back to Progreso. I did find out that there are direct flights from Atlanta to Merida, but they are quite pricey.....sooooooo.....I'm even thinking we could fly into Cancun and rent a car.....perhaps after a few days in Cancun swimming with the whale sharks.....could work!!! :D :D :D

Suzepoo,

I am trying to book 4 adults to Reef Club Progresso. I have emailed Oscar and am trying to get information on the Resort. We will be in port on Carnival Fantasy on Feb 25. Do we need to book the resort ahead of time or can we just get a cab to take us there once in port. Please guide me, I have never been to Progresso before. I have gone to Reef Club in Cozumel and we prepaid the resort fee for the day and then got a taxi to and from the resort.

Thanks for you report on the Resort. This sounds like the place for us.

Thanks so much

Angel

Oscar will email you back directly and instruct you to make advance reservations, but you will pay at the resort when you arrive. There was a group of 10 of us and we arrived at 10 a.m. (was supposed to have been 9) and stayed until 3 p.m. We rented a van and driver for the day at the main taxi location at the square in town after you get off the shuttle bus ($80 USD). NOTE that the shuttle buses run every 20 minutes from the ship, so you may have to wait if you don't time it right. It was a very easy process once we got to Progreso to walk a few blocks to the main taxi stand.....make SURE your taxi driver knows where you are going BEFORE you leave and you don't have someone who can speak English AND Spanish!! Please make sure you tell Oscar I recommended him!:D :D HAVE FUN!!

Food, drinks, towels, use of the facilities, everything!!:D They offer massages and other services for a little extra should you decide you want that once you are there. I think it was $15 for massage for 30 minutes? Can't recall for sure as we didn't get one. We were too busy enjoying the pool and drinks!!

But take lots of $1 dollar bills for tips....once we found our spot by the pool, we had one waiter that watched for us to signal him that we wanted another drink....and told him we would take care of him at the end of our day....they were ALL very attentive and deserve LOTS of tips!!:D :D :D

Please tell everyone (Oscar, Roberto, Susan, Francisco...that's all the names I can recall) that Suzanne sends her best...thanks!!

Archived