Playa Rincon (Las Galeras)

shopao

How did you get to Casa Dorado and back? I saw that their website mentioned it was a "short taxi ride" -- is it easy to get the taxis to/from?

Arrange this through Casa Dorado - our cost was $70 round trip for 6 people in a van - takes about 30 minutes to get to Las Galeras, then to Playa Rincon by ATV took another 45 approx.

Thats great beadbabe, we will just miss you, but you will have fun with Captain roberto and staff. Has anyone else used roberto who woul dlike to tell us about it? I am going fishing with them on weds.

I cant wait!!!!!!!!

Plan on booking a fishing trip with Casa Dorado for our April 08' cruise...how were they? Did you catch any fish and was the boat dependable? Also, how long of a taxi ride to Casa Dorado? Thanks!

• 4 months later...
Plan on booking a fishing trip with Casa Dorado for our April 08' cruise...how were they? Did you catch any fish and was the boat dependable? Also, how long of a taxi ride to Casa Dorado? Thanks!

We caught a few fish, but one fish broke our pole and took it to the bottom. It was still a beautiful trip!

Taxi takes around 30-40 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

This review is long LONG over due, but time flies!

We sailed over Christmas and join Capt Roberto Guzman, his wife Catherine and the Casa Dorado gang for the day trip to La Playita and Playa Rincon. It was BY FAR the best day excursion of our entire trip.

We left the ship to find a driver waiting for us right at the pier. He took us directly to Las Galares where Capt Roberto and crew met us. We boarded their boat and went to La Playita for some great snorkeling. The reef was right off shore with plenty of colorful creatures and corals. His crew is friendly and knowledgable, not to mention charming! Afterwards we went to the beach to have the most amazing lunch!! Chicken, Shrimp, Fish, Lobster and all the trimmings. Keep in mind that La Playita is a NATURAL beach! So if you are looking for a fancy restaurant with amenities, this isn't the trip for you. If you want a fantastic post card beach, and lunch right on the sand prepared before your very eyes...don't miss this. There were 4 of us, 4 crew, 1 cook and other than two local ladies, we had the entire beach to ourselves.

After lunch we took the boat to Playa Rincon. This beach is a "locals" beach. Lots of very friendly locals and a few adventuresome tourists. There isn't much in the way of snorkeling, but it's a great little beach. There is a small restaurant, but we didn't go in because we were stuffed from our fantastic lunch at La Playita.

The Guzman's are wonderful hospitable people. By now, they may have their B&B ready. We were able to see it, and it's going to be lovely. The driver returned us to the port in PLENTY of time.

Don't let the cruise ship scare you into not taking this trip because you might miss the boat. The Guzman's are VERY much concerned about your enjoyment, your safety and your timely return to your ship!

Don't miss out. Visit the Casa Dorado website at casadoradodr dot com. Or write to the Guzman's at r_guzman2@yahoo.com

At the time we traveled the trip was $220 for up to 10 guests.

Lunch ran $12-$15 per person

Taxi RT from the pier to Las Galares $80 up to 10 guests

The trip would have been worth TWICE the price.

Have a great time, and please tell Roberto and Catherine that the BeadBabe says hello!:)

• 1 month later...

Playa Rincon is so beautiful you will not believe it till you are there. The water was calm and crystal clear when we were there and hardly anyone around. I think the beach is something like 1 - 2 miles long and I think there were maybe 35 people there. I always felt safe.

As far as snorkling we did not really do any while we were there but I hear there can be some good spots farther down the beach - but I really do not know for sure.

There is a restaurant on the beach that has good beer ( the bottles come in regular and the LARGE size). My wife had a pina colada and they made it fresh right in front of me. I was amazed by that. We did not eat there just cause we were not hungry but did try some coconut bread a woman was selling on the beach. I think there were a total of four vendors on the beach ( Bread woman, hair braiding, jewelry and cigars). If we were not interested we just said no and they moved on. Our daughter did get a necklace and I haggled on price - no problem there either.

Also we booked with Casa Dorado and they made it really nice. Roberto and Catherine are very nice people and they made sure we got back to the ship in plenty of time. Catherine also had our taxi drive stop so we could pick up some local coffee (2 lbs for $5.00). I can not recomend them enough.

We booked our cruise in January 2009 just so we could go back to Samana and Barbados as they were our favorite spots (NCL Jewel)

Archived