Sorry folks, it ain't over yet...........

Fury1995

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

Sorry folks but I just don't understand the overwhelming dissapointment lately.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

The rest of us will tell you what a great cruise we had when we get back.

With all of the numerous policy changes taking place with Royal Caribbean and all of the numerous threads debating each change, it's gonna take ALOT more than fuel surcharges, limited lobster, strickter smoking rules, $3.95 to "choose" to eat a franchised cheeseburger and who is wearing what at dinner to get me to give up on Royal Caribbean.... or cruising for that matter.

I may not be in the majority but I choose to cruise for specific reasons ....one, it's still an amazing value. Where else can you find a vaction that moves your hotel from one amazing place to another, feeds you more than you can handle and entertains you everyday all day and night for an average of $100 a night? Anyone?

The ship. I choose Royal because of the ship. I just prefer the layout, design and the decor.... and over the years, the ships have become bigger and better.

Yes cruising used to feel more personal and intimate years ago but that was when ships were much smaller and ALOT less people were on board and ALOT less to do. Trust me, no one bragged to there freinds and family about the towel folding class, but that was basically all there was 25 years ago.

On my first cruise in 1980 If someone had told me one day I'd be able to play pool, ice skate, enjoy a water park, play putt putt, inline skate, bowl on a real bowling alley, bunjee jump on a trampoline, stroll down a footbal field sized promenade INSIDE the ship or rock climb several stories above the ocean or would never have believed it.

With all of that, how much has the cost of a week long cruise increased???? In my recollection, it hasn't.

I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed.

You have quite a way with words, and those are my sentiments exactly!! Bravo!

I wholeheartedly agree!!! Why is it there sooooo many people that look at just the negatives? A cruise vacation is the most relaxing vacation there is. You don't have to lift a finger to do anything if you don't want too. It is a fantastic value for a 7-day vacation. Just figure out what a 7-day vacation would cost on land -- hotels, 3 meals per day, activities, price of travel (gas $$$ if you are driving)...anyway I will not give up on cruising. Life is too short to bellyache over the little things.

Just my opinion.

Mickyliz:D

I wholeheartedly agree!!! Why is it there sooooo many people that look at just the negatives? A cruise vacation is the most relaxing vacation there is. You don't have to lift a finger to do anything if you don't want too. It is a fantastic value for a 7-day vacation. Just figure out what a 7-day vacation would cost on land -- hotels, 3 meals per day, activities, price of travel (gas $$$ if you are driving)...anyway I will not give up on cruising. Life is too short to bellyache over the little things.

Just my opinion.

People don't just look at the negatives. Many long time cruisers here are still capable of seeing both sides of things and don't get blided by their love of cruising.

We chose RCI to cruise on because another family with which we are very close to cruises at least once a year some where in the Carribean.

They like the food, entertainment, children activities, and ports of call.

For us we only take one major vacation a year, whether it be a beach, WDW, or our new found love cruising.

So we are used to the cost of vacationing and budget accordingly.

I just hope there are no more surprises other than the fuel sur-charge. But, what are you going to do.

Finally, an intelligent posting to what are (IMHO) small, insignificant issues. The price of fuel goes up all over and we all pay more yet we scream when companies pass that cost increase on to us? No more lobster in the dining room? Aw, too bad (I don't eat lobster but me DW does). We don't sail because they serve lobster. You can't smoke IN your room? Too bad! Smoke outside in the designated smoking areas or on the balcony! If I didn't get the C&A coupon for JR I won't go but it doesn't keep me from cruising. I can still eat in the WJ.

Bottom line--If you don't like the way a company does business take your business elsewhere.

BTW: I have a question for everyone complaining about the fuel surcharge and threating to cancel their cruise. When there is a price drop do you EXPECT cruise lines to honor the lower rate? I mean afterall you were content to reserve your room at a certain price. You can't have it both ways. My cruise in Sept 2008 will cost me an additional $70. Telling me that now means I need to set aside an extra $2/week until final payment is due. Man, I don't know if I can handle that cost increase:eek: . Oh well, off to Starbucks for my $4 latte:rolleyes: !

Kenny,

I couldn't agree more with your post. People have choices to make regarding their vacation plans. Instead of moaning and groaning, please just get on with it and make your choice. If it is not to be RCCL, good luck and best wishes.

Let the this board be a place where helpful information can be exchanged.

Hayy cruising!

Thanks, OP!

I agree that cruising is the best-value vacation and, for us, by far the most relaxing. That being said, however, we've definitely seen a lot of changes since our first cruise twenty years ago. Just like the inevitable changes in everything else in life, some of the changes have been for the better and some have not, but none of them have been of sufficient magnitude to make us change our minds -- cruising remains our favorite vacation.

Never had a cruise we didn't like!

People don't just look at the negatives. Many long time cruisers here are still capable of seeing both sides of things and don't get blided by their love of cruising.

You may have a point but it seems as though there has a been some blind reactions lately by a few long time cruisers.

Honestly, have we really seen the straw that broke the camels back?

Hey Fury are you still going on Voyager in Jan? I am cruising still because I can get around on the ships in my scooter.

No, unfortunately I had to change my plans. I'm going on the Radiance in March instead.

Wow, you have bowled, had lobster, played putt putt, ice skated, etc? We were on the SOV and had no complaints, can't imagine someone complaining about the other things..lol..sounds like I got a WHOLE lotta cruising to do!!! I love cruising, you get a lot for your $:cool:

Not too many cruisers have looked at both the positives and the negatives...there have been 676 posts to date with regard to the fuel surcharges imposed by RCCL, though I have not read each and every one of them, the majority of the ones I have read are angry, disgusted and feel as though they have been mistreated and put upon. The fuel crisis is reality -- we either accept that as consumers we have to pay for it or don't cruise.

Once again, just my opinion

OK, have done a bit of research. I have found the a 7 night Apple all inclusive vacation in a Jr. suite with an ocean view (yes I am a suite/balcony snob, I like to sit out there in the morning with my tea) on St Lucia would be $3,654.00 not including airfare. This price is for two people; at a resort as nice as the newer RCCI ships, on an island that I like to go to on those nicer ships.

My RCCI cruise with fuel surcharge is still cheaper. I know I will keep cruising. Who needs the little rubbery lobster anyway. I like my hotel to be moving around to new places while I sleep.

Cursing is not necessary to make your statement. And for the record, I didn't state one would be dissapointed if they went elsewhere. If you read my post more carefully you would understand my point.

"I'm no cheerleader and I'm not trying to offend but if you cruise because you waited all year to eat lobster on board or because you like to dress up or because it means everything when the waiter memorizes your name, you will continue to be dissapointed. So go ahead, cancel. Revolt. Complain. Write letters. Make phone calls. Threaten to take your money somewhere else.............. Be dissapointed." - quote from the OP's original post.

Um, I am afraid you did say we would be disappointed if we went elsewhere.

About the cursing...it's not cursing, it's just bad language. Sorry if it offends anyone.

I have to agree with the folks who say that cruising in a great value for the money. Granted if you need to go during school holidays you will pay accordingly. However my partner and I are on the Majesty Jan 28 outside catagory I for $209 PP and then I found the $50 thank you letter for the cruise we took last July which brings the cost to $189 or $46 per person per day.I dont know of any other vacation where I would have to fly to...rent a car...stay in a hotel...and buy my food for $46 a day. We will continue to cruise... We will continue to look for the bargains, and we will enjoy ourselves throughly when out on the seas.

Archived