Information about Calica

beach410

Just returned from the Imagination and wanted to warn everyone about the port of Calica, there is not much there. If you can, book an excursion either with Carnival or with another agency that will pick you up at the dock. I heard the catamaran snorkel was great.

We rented a car, if you are going to go this route, book online with executive/ace rentals as you will get a better deal this way then if you just walk up to the booth off the ship. Beware of driving in down town Playa del Carmen, its like a mini NY City with less rules, lights etc. WE found a parking lot and our friend who drove handled the stress very well. Driving on the main highway wasnt that bad, but he still was a little rattled at the aggressiveness of the locals driving and he has nerves of steel. We went to Akumal Bay for a nice lunch and some snorkeling with the turtles then shopped for souveniers at 5th Ave, Playa del CArmen.

Lastly, if you are planning on taking a taxi, get off the ship promptly, as the line builds up quickly and yes, there is only one line to get taxis, they dont seem to run out, as you can see them parked through out the parking lot, but you do have to stand in line to get one. We got off the ship at about 1:15 and there was a short line, by 2 the line was still there and 3 times the length, it didnt appear to move very quickly either.

One more thing, dont rent a car from an agency not at the pier, my friend did and they told us they would come pick us up in 10 minutes, waited and wasted almost an hour they never showed. Ended up with the last car from Ace/Executive at the pier.

You might want to check out Edventure Tours. For $50 pp, plus $15 transportation pp they said they would pick us up at the pier in Playa Del Carmen, take us to to snorkel the cenotes of Dos Ojos - see some spider monkeys, lunch at La Buena Vida (which looks like a very cool outdoor restaurant/bar and gets lots of good reviews), snorkel in a Lagoon aquarium, snorkel with sea turtles and return us to Playa Del Carmen at the end of the day. You can add ziplining and/or Talum for an additional fee. We are scheduled to do this on Dec. 12 and can let you know how it goes when we return. Hopefully it will be as much fun as I am thinking it will be.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

I don't want to hijack this thread, so here's a link to my trip review on Trip Advisor. It's the 9th post in this thread. (the rest the stuff is about Cancun) Although this was during a land vacation, we went because of all the great things I'd read about here on cruise critic. It was truly the best day we've ever spent in the area.

Archived