is semana a waste of a port

cruisendude2001

i know semana is pretty new and very underdeveloped. is it a waste of a port atleast yet mabey the cruise lines should wait a few years till its more built up and tourist friendly. or do they go there knowing that u pretty much have to book a tour through them in order to see anythign its a guaranteed cash cow for the cruise line?? ill be there in april on the NCL spirit and i havnt seen anything special about it yet im thinking about taking advantage of the spa in port discounts for me and my DG?? any feedback will be much appreciated and if anyone knows where to get good cuban cigars in st thomas, tortolla or semana let me know as well

adam

It's funny, because I actually chose NCL because they went to Samana. I haven't been there yet, but I have wanted to do a whale watching excursion for a long time and that is why we picked it. I am hoping that our whale watching excursion will be a very memorable one. Unfortunately, the season is only available from mid January to mid March, so it is a very short time frame. I kind of get the impression that a lot of people don't like it because it isn't very touristy. That is one of the reasons why I think I will like it. Just my opinion and preferences I guess. Here is a link to a nice website describing the area: http://www.samana.org.do/index.htm

I like the fact that it is a "different" port. All ports are touristy.. I think it'll be interesting to see one that's not! It is probably difficult for those who did not research, and are expecting a "normal" comercialized port. I can see why they'd be disappointed. But we know what to expect and can plan for it.

I like the idea that we get to see Samana before it's just like all the rest. I read that it is "untouched" and beautiful. I'm just going to do a lot of research and try to head out on my own, or maybe even do an NCL excersion. I can do a spa any day... I say give it a try... or you could miss out on something great... you can always head back mid-day for your spa discounts if you're unable to find anything interesting...

Maybe I'm just optimistic...

PS - Like the spa isn't a guaranteed "cash cow" for the cruise either?? :)

This port stinks.

Was there last year, and it was a complete waist.

That said, we are going back this year, and will give it a second chance.

Why is it a complete waste? Is it because it is rustic, and not touristy like St. Thomas. It seems to me from all that I have read that it is much like a private island beach stop. Take the beach excursion and go have fun. Clearly if you want shopping and bars this is not the place to go and likely will never be, and that is exactly why I think it will be a great stop.

See poverty. Have the opportunity to go nowhere! You are in Samana. We were there last year. #1 activity - Explaining poverty to our kids #2 Explaining dead animals hanging from trees (Christmas dinner) #3 Off road adventures (jeeps or atv's). We missed the later. If it is warm make sure you have a way to get ot a beach. Water taxis (little skiffs) might not work if it is windy and the water is rough and that is very likely. Good luck.

If you go during Whale watching season, I would think that there would be a lot to do. That is what we are planning and we are very excited about it. Cayo levantado beach escape(heard this is a beautiful beach), caves and mangroves (which I have heard is fun), catamaran tour, horseback riding, trips to the waterful El Limon, trips to a beautiful Las Terrenas beach, Las Galeras beach, etc. It seems like there are lots of things to do if you put your mind to it, but I guess I'll find out for myself!

My family and I have crusied every year for the past 5 years.

In that time we have done:

Bahamas (too many times to count), Cancun (3x), Cozumel (2x), Grand Caymen (2x), Labadee, Costa Maya, Roaatan, Beliez, Tortola, St. Thomas, Ocho Rios, NCL Private Island, Freeport, RCL Private Island, Key West, St. Lucia (not on a cruise), Puerto Rico (land), Punta Cana (Land).....

In each one we have gotten off the ship and done something...sometimes a cruise excursion, sometimes an excursion on our own. Sometimes "hired a cab" when we got there...sometimes just went to the beach.

BY FAR - Somana was the worst port. NOT because we do not want to be adventurist...(WE LOVED ROAATAN!)...but this port was not ready to recieve 3000+ people on a daily basis..

Basic things like cabs, excurisons, etc. are not avaialble.

There are no "outlets" for the people...no local beaches, or other exploring areas that can handale the crowds...

AND, since the port is shallow, you end up tendering in ( a LONG tender) to arrive at nothing.

Thus, many either stay on board, or go to Cayo Levatano. (Which is what we will do this year, and make a beach day out of it.)

We hope you enjoy the area, and report back changes from last year...

FYI - here is a copy of my review from a year ago...

"We have been on 4 cruises in the past 3 years....Samana is by far the biggest looser.

IF going you MUST book your excursion on board....do not listen to those that tell you of the "guys at the end of the pier"...yes they are there, but what they promise they do not deliver.

Even the on-board excursion reviews that we heard from others were poor. We heard of horseback riding trips where there were no horses....beach breaks to "Cayo Levitano" where the tour operator took them to a different beach that was small, crowded, no facilities and dirty.

I say book through the ship, so that if you have one of these bad expieriences, at least there is a way to get your money back."

Take my opinion for what you will....

Because that is where the ship goes! ;)

We are doing a 9 day with lots of new ports for us...Antigua, Barbados...etc.

Samana is on the itinerary, and because (in spite of what some may think) the Jewel is not a private charter unless we tip the Captain a LOT, this is where the ship goes. :)

We are booked for the NCL beach excursion...we were in Punta Cana this past summer and the beaches were terrific...hope the other side of the island is as nice.

Keep in mind that any day at a beach is better than a day at work!

we will be in semana the end of april on the NCL spirit only reason we booked a cruise which stopped in semana is because of my girlfriends vacation schedual being shes a public school teacher and the cost of airfare its cheaper to drive to manhattan ( we live on long island) and just get on the ship. and it has 4 days at sea which im looking foward to the most. we will 100% be booking something through the cruise if we choose to get off . mabey in 5 years when semana has been redone to accept american tourists . we have expectations when we spend money for vacation we expect a great time. i know for me who is saving all year to take my gf on this cruise expect the most for my money because after the cruise i wont have any lol. looking foward to sailing on the spirit out of ny leaving april 19 2008

I don't know why everyone is so down on this port! I found it to be a beautiful, unspoiled, area with friendly people and lovely beaches. We booked a private excursion (through Casa Dorado) to Playa Rincon and had a great time! The seas were a bit rough, so I can see how that may pose a problem some days, but our water taxi captain handled those swells like a champ. Even if it had been too rough to go, the beach at Las Galaras (sp?) was nice enough that I would have been happy spending the day there if we had too. There was also a stand at the end of the pier where you could book private excursions on the spot. Several people came to Playa Rincon via the dirt road using those providers, they seemed happy too although they said the road was really bad and a 4-WD vehicle would be preferable. I say give it a chance!

Just got back from our cruise where we visited Samana in the Dominican Republic. If I ever went back, I wouldn't even bother to get off the ship. We nicknamed it "appreciation island". Told my husband that I'd like to take my children there so they can realize how much they should appreciate our country.

We figured since we were there, we might as well get off the ship. We were bombarded by children as we talk a stroll along the shoreline area that was trying to sell us seashells for $1.00 each. It was 12:30pm in the afternoon and it made me wonder why these children weren't in school. It was impossible to sit down on a bench to rest our feet without children, that appeared to be between the ages of 7 - 10, coming over to us to sell us shells for $1.00. "One dollar" seemed to be the only English word they understood. My heart went out to this one particular child and I handed him a dollar and tried to explain to him that I didn't want the shell.

We were later told after getting back on the ship, that we should be glad that we didn't take the tour for horseback riding, because it's like putting your life in your hands. Everyone we spoke to said that the horses were slipping and sliding on the edge of the trail near a drop off and they were all thankful that they got through the tour without a fatality. Some people were so scared that they chose to get off the horses and walk. This might be a tour that one would decide to avoid until they get the kinks out.

We did a tour and ended up in Las Galeras beach. I wouldnt call it a waste of a port but definitely not my favorite. The beach was beautiful just a bit cold, it was rather windy that day. The town itself was very poor, underdeveloped, I would just go to a beach and relax. The crowd on the beach was questionable, but we still had a great time and had a safe trip. I wouldnt stay on the ship, definitely get out and explore. We were very annoyed at the vendors on the flea market by the ship though.

<P>

I don't know why everyone is so down on this port! I found it to be a beautiful, unspoiled, area with friendly people and lovely beaches. We booked a private excursion (through Casa Dorado) to Playa Rincon and had a great time! !
</P>

I wish we had gone to Playa Rincon. We were also on the November 23 Jewel sailing. We had not booked anything in advance for Samana and after we arrived (late and after a long wait for the tender to shore) our group was split on what to do. Some wanted to hire a taxi and go to Playa Rincon, some wanted to go by boat to Cayo Levatano, and others wanted to just shop in the port. Since it was very windy, we chose not to venture out to Cayo Levatano and since it was getting late, we didn't want to chance going out to Playa Rincon. Instead, we walked around port for a while and were hammered by taxi drivers wanting to take us on excursions and were pestered by child beggars asking for dollars. We finally asked a taxi to take us to the closest beach.

The closest beach turned out to be a cove directly across from our ship. There wasn't much beach and the bar/restaurant had very loud music to the point that the speakers were "clipping". We were not able to relax on the beach at all since we were constantly bothered by vendors and folks from the restaurant trying to sell us drinks. Since it was Sunday, many locals came down to the cove and parked themselves right next to us. After a while, it started getting a little uncomfortable with everyone staring at us. I guess they do not see too many Americans. We found out later that this was the first time the ship had ever come to Samana. Some other parties from the ship were dropped off as well and we all stayed together and watched each other's stuff when we went into the water.

The Samana area is very poor. I understand there is a new airport nearby and new resorts are being built but they are still a 30 to 45 minute drive from the port. It will take a while before there is much improvement here. If we ever return, we would make a greater effort to get up to Playa Rincon or would take a whale watching excursion if offered (winter only).

I agree that having a plan is definitely the best way to approach this port. It seems most people who tried to wing it were disappointed. I'm sure planning will get easier too, once more ships have been there and more people start to report back on the various things they have done.

These descriptions are reminiscent of what has been posted about Belize, especially when it was brand-new port. We loved Belize and are considering booking the Jade in April '09 which has a port call in Semana. I'll be interested to read how this port develops over the next year. But will definitely plan an excursion before we go there. Thanks to everyone who reports their experiences. It's what makes this site so great. :)

Agreed, Shirley ... I remember reading similar things about Roatan a few years ago too, and that was one of our favorite Caribbean ports (beautiful beach and amazing snorkeling) we've been to. I'll report back after our stop in Semana in late January!

I'm looking forward to reading your report. I see you are on the Dawn. We really loved that ship. Beautiful. And our girls loved the their kids krew. Have a great cruise and happy holidays! :)

• 3 weeks later...

It seems as though nothing has changed in Samana since we were there in October, 2006. We were lucky in that we took a trip over to Cayo Levantando for the day and enjoyed relaxing on that beautiful beach. We were able to hire a boat and guide to take us there for a few hours. The actual town itself has nothing of interest though the locals tried with the market opposite where the tenders come in.

We saw so many local teenagers riding motor bikes and not having anything to do. I am wondering if there are any schools in the area. It was definitely the most "third world" town of any that we had seen on that particular cruise. We heard that our ship went there for two reasons. The first being that there were hardly an port fees and secondly, the schedule was such that we needed to have a day somewhere before heading back to Tampa.

Mind you, it was at the end of a magnificent 34 day cruise that had started in Vancouver and had taken us up the Amazon as far as Manaus.

Jennie

Archived