Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyplum

Category SS

THE SS cabins are considerably larger than the lower grades and have larger verandahs than the A and B cabins.

I would advise figuring how much more per day it'll cost you to upgrade and then decide if it's worth that much more for the more spacious quarters (and the verandah, if you're upgrading from a non-verandah cabin).

If I ever paid for an upgrade it would have to be something ridiculous, like only $100 more per person. I have never booked a guarantee ... always selecting a particular cabin based on the ship and itinerary. That way I know I'll be happy with what I have. If an upgrade is offered gratis, then I'll consider it based on where it is. Otherwise, I'll just stay put.

We were in the lowest balcony in a BC guarantee and we upgraded to an SS(actual cabin chosen) for $350 total. It was the best money we spent. The SS suites are great. Also by doing it with their offer three weeks before sailing, the final payments had already been paid. Then charge and pay this and then whatever we charged on the cruise we paid the second month out. So a great way to spread out the expense!!!

I loved traveling in an SS - can't wait to go in a suite again!

It was about $250 extra per person to go from an AA to an SS for our March cruise, and we stuck with the AA. However, I'm not sure what price differential would get me to upgrade. I would guess $100 - $150 per person.

It really depends on the length of the cruise, the itinerary, and your cruising style. If you are on a port intensive itinerary with very few sea days, you're not going to have a lot of time to spend in the cabin. But if you like to relax in your cabin instead of in a public area, you would enjoy the extra space.

On some itineraries, we have only used the cabin to change clothes, shower, and sleep, so we wouldn't spend the extra for the SS.

If you have a lot of "stuff" and/or a disorganized roommate, definitely take the SS!

As I recall I think we paid about $350 to upgrade to an SS for our Oosterdam cruise last March. For a 7 day cruise that was only $50/day so it wasn't all that bad. My wife and I really enjoyed our cabin and it was worth it to have the extra room. Next cruise is on Celebrity in a full suite (an RS).....may have trouble getting the wife back to a regular cabin in the future. If we ever go on a Vista class again I wouldn't hesitate a moment to book an SS again.

on the zuiderdam, 7/31/04 upgraded to a SSfrom an AA for about $110 per person. it was great. the cabin is wonderful.

on my upcoming westerdam in dec, we upgraded from a BB to a SS for about $100 per person. we jumped on it because we already had the SS experience. we enjoy hanging out in the cabin and that sofa is really comfy to lay on and to chill on.

i say go for it if it is in your budget.