Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gooselace

Smoking areas on Westerdaam

Are there any smoking areas other than adjacent to the Oak Room and a corner of the Explores Lounge? I've been on several cruises, including one on the old Rotterdam, but not in the past 10 years. I'm told we can smoke on the "veranda" of our cabin. Are there any other outside areas where smoking is allowed? And, Yes, I know I should be quitting.

Are there any smoking areas other than adjacent to the Oak Room and a corner of the Explores Lounge? I've been on several cruises, including one on the old Rotterdam, but not in the past 10 years. I'm told we can smoke on the "veranda" of our cabin. Are there any other outside areas where smoking is allowed? And, Yes, I know I should be quitting.

You may smoke on your veranda. Ocean Bar has a smoking section which is totally separate from the main part of Ocean Bar. You may smoke on open decks...you will know which side is smoking permitted by the placement of ashtrays. One side is smoking permitted and the other is non-smoking.

There is a small section of Lido Pool tables near Dolphin Bar that allow smoking .

Thanks, that helps. We try not to offend, but it helps that there are a few places where smoking is allowed without going back to the stateroom or to a bar.

Port side around the pool for sure.... It became a problem for us when the top was on the pool was my daughter has asthma and the entire area got very smoky.

I believe the open Observation Deck on top of the Crows Nest is a smoking area...

Also the space right behind the funnels - but this only works when the ship is underway...

;-)

I am a smoker and have always found a designated smoking area on all ships I have sailed. There will always be an ashtray and a sign "designated smoking area" on the tables, just look for them.

Jean, I have heard this being done, but so far, haven't experienced it. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.

On the Oosterdam the smoking section around the Lido pool was on the starboard side, not port. I have no idea if it is the same on all the Vista ships, but you'll have no trouble finding the tables w/ ashtrays on one side.

We never noticed the Lido pool area getting 'smoky' in the slightest, even with the dome closed. It is a very large deck with only a small smoking area over on one side of the ship under an overhang. Unless you were sitting in the smoking area I don't see how anyone could be bothered. :confused:

At Lido Pool on Maasdam, the tables where smoking was permitted were on Starboard side. There were not that many and we noticed as we passed by on our way to Taco Bar but the smoke didn't bother us.

On the Ryndam, the pool with the dome was all non-smoking, isn't that the case with the other ships?

Are you sure? all of the other HAL ships have smoking allowed on the outside lido deck, usually on the starboard side. On the S class, there is also smoking allowed around the Dolphin bar....jean :cool:

Yes, I am very sure. No smoking under the dome pool. We are smokers so we were sure to know where we could and could not smoke.

When did you go? I smoked on Ryndam near the Dolphin Bar. I wonder when they changed this?

We smoked at the Dolphin bar but on the other side of the doors which was the aft pool. There was no smoking under the dome. Yes there were people smoking but it technically wasn't allowed so we didn't. It was in Feb '03.