Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gooselace

Low Carb Options or Counts

Has anyone seen low carb options listed on HAL menus? Or has anyone had occasion to request carb listing for menu items? In other words, is the information readily available on the ship (Westerdaam in this case). Do you think there would be a problem if I brought a few low carb bars or candies along, in case there are no low carb desserts?

Go away.

Just kidding. You can bring food, no problem but I know they have healthy options and I would imagine they are catering to the low carb craze.

You certainly could bring your low carb bars with you.

I have never asked for nutritional breakdown of menu items nor have I ever heard of anyone else doing so. I would not think the Chef's would be providing that for every single menu offering...... You probably would be able to made a reasonable judgment as to whether it is within 'your limits' of acceptibility for your eating plan.

I do South Beach maintenance and most usually, if I read the menu description carefully and ask the server (waiter/steward), I can get an idea if that is something that fits into my eating guidelines.

Just of THe Zuiderdam and every menu had "low carb options"

there was plenty to choose from - even desserts

But you are on holiday! give yourself a break!

Just of THe Zuiderdam and every menu had "low carb options"

there was plenty to choose from - even desserts

But you are on holiday! give yourself a break!

Did they give a Nutritional Breakdown? Or was it simply 'labeled' Low Carb?

A breakdown would be brand new....never saw that before.

(Not everyone wants to "give themselves a break" but want to continue their eating plan. Perhaps they have worked very hard to lose a great deal of weight and do not want to undo all of their hard work. I don't mean to imply that is me because it is not but I know there are others here who have done so very welll with weight loss. IMO It is imortant there be healthy choices (which I know there are) so they can maintain their loss. Others have health considerations that 'do not take a vacation'.)

When we are on a cruise we don't worry about whether we are eating Soth Beach or whatever BUT we do watch what we eat and choose carefully 99% of the time - no 2 entrees, no 2 or 3 desserts and we don't keep snacking all day.

The CC 'Lose Before You Cruise' Forum has a whole very long thread going about South Beach and a lot of info on Low Carb while cruising. Might be of interest and a good board for those here who want to discuss this subject.

When we are on a cruise we don't worry about whether we are eating Soth Beach or whatever BUT we do watch what we eat and choose carefully 99% of the time - no 2 entrees, no 2 or 3 desserts and we don't keep snacking all day.

KK,

I do something similar. At each meal I make sure that there is at least one appetizer, one entree and one desert that I don't eat.:rolleyes: :D

It is very easy to follow the low carb plan on ship. I have been using a 50-70 carb plan for several years and there are always choices. Omlettes, bacon, cheese, wonderful steaks and fish. There are always vegetables that can be substituted for that baked potato at dinner. The lido is great because of the cafeteria options. Passing all those fresh breads is hard....but you are allowed to cheat a little bit! My significant other is diabetic and we both lost weight on last year's cruise and ate very well....including one dinner at the Pinnacle Grille. Of course, we had to try the chocolate volcano dessert. You can be as strict or as free-wheeling as you want....one day off, two days on.....

I agree with those above, it is a vacation. I'm being strict now to be able to enjoy the food on the cruise in a couple of months!:o

we sailed on the Veendam last Dec and i was strictly adhering to Atkins plan....i lost a pound on the cruise ! and never felt deprived.

i did take my lemon poppyseed Atkins muffins along and brought them with me to breakfast...when i asked the server about sugarfree desserts, he was not able to suggest any. a few days later he swore the jello was sugar free...but i never believed him, so i didnt have any.

it was nice having a mini fridge in the cabin since the muffins and sugar free jam needed some cool !.....i hear that they are standard in the new Westerdam. i am toting my low carb stuff with me again this Dec....why cheat and eat carb laden foods while on vacation...to me, nothing tastes as good as thin feels !

There definitely is sugar free jello in Lido everyday. I specifically asked on Maasdam. They assured me the jello was sugar free and for all they knew I had a sugar problem. They would never risk misrepresenting something that could cause serious illness.

Did they give a Nutritional Breakdown? Or was it simply 'labeled' Low Carb?

A breakdown would be brand new....never saw that before.

(Not everyone wants to "give themselves a break" but want to continue their eating plan. Perhaps they have worked very hard to lose a great deal of weight and do not want to undo all of their hard work. I don't mean to imply that is me because it is not but I know there are others here who have done so very welll with weight loss. IMO It is imortant there be healthy choices (which I know there are) so they can maintain their loss. Others have health considerations that 'do not take a vacation'.)

There wasn't a break down that I could see - Trust me I understand where you are coming from- I lost 35 lbs and am on my way to losing another 25 - I have worked long and hard and have a health condition that makes it 3-5 times harder to lose weight than the average person. - I didn't mean that they should eat whatever - just not worry so much and make good choices. I exercised most days and still gained 2 lbs. However I have lost since being home for 3 days - my health considerations also "do not take a vacation" I have to eat at certain times and take medication daily.

I apologize if I offended anyone - that certianly wasn't my intention

Jewelfine....Congratulations on such success with your weightloss program. It is easy gaining but very, very hard losing it.

Of course you did not offend....at least, you certainly did not offend me.

Good luck and continued success with the next 25 pounds.

Having type 2 diabetes, low-carb is not a choice for me.

It's really very simple if you don't lie to yourself. I might eat ONE french fry. ONLY sugar free desserts (which they have on the HAL menus) but not anything with pie crust or suchlike. No grapes or oranges, ever. No beer.

ONE tablespoon of rice with my Chinese or of spaghetti with my Bolognesa. Open face burgers and sandwiches.

Just tell the waiter 'no potatoes or rice' and he'll get the picture pretty fast and you won't be tempted to cheat.

Go for it.

Lane 13_1_213.gif

On our march 2004 oosterdam cruise there were many LC menu choices (omlettes, steaks, filet, lobster, chicken, sauteed veggies and even some sugar free desserts) the staff was always accomodating when it came to requests for bunless burgers or hot dogs at the pool grill (I could see there were many other LC'ers cruising with us), holding the potatoes etc. I have lost 80 lbs. in 17 months on Atkins and I am not in the least concerned that I will find LC food choices on my march 2005 westerdam cruise.

On our march 2004 oosterdam cruise there were many LC menu choices (omlettes, steaks, filet, lobster, chicken, sauteed veggies and even some sugar free desserts) the staff was always accomodating when it came to requests for bunless burgers or hot dogs at the pool grill (I could see there were many other LC'ers cruising with us), holding the potatoes etc. I have lost 80 lbs. in 17 months on Atkins and I am not in the least concerned that I will find LC food choices on my march 2005 westerdam cruise.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How Wonderful!! You must feel like a whole different person. What an inspiration you are for others who think it cannot be done. Good for you!!!

Having type 2 diabetes, low-carb is not a choice for me.

It's really very simple if you don't lie to yourself. I might eat ONE french fry. ONLY sugar free desserts (which they have on the HAL menus) but not anything with pie crust or suchlike. No grapes or oranges, ever. No beer.

ONE tablespoon of rice with my Chinese or of spaghetti with my Bolognesa. Open face burgers and sandwiches.

Just tell the waiter 'no potatoes or rice' and he'll get the picture pretty fast and you won't be tempted to cheat.

Go for it.

Lane 13_1_213.gif

Thankfully, I do not have diabetes but I eat alot like you. I skip the high glycemic carbs and select high fiber/whole grain ones. When I started eating more in this way, I found the food tastes so much better. Who could possibly prefer a saltine cracker to a whole grain Wasa type cracker? Or white bread to a bakery style whole grain? I am lucky that I really enjoy fruits and veggies so that is what my tastes lean to anyway.

(I also skip the grapes, oranges, bananas, mangoes, watermelon.....

No beets, pineapple, very few white potatoes and no white rice or pasta.....I pick brown rice and wholewheat pasta.)

I think if you check very carefully you will be able to chose. I know I ask because I'm diabetic. They put all sauces on the side for me to control. I get low cal sauces too. With low carb crazy going there will be options available but it may not be what you like or want. I have always asked the waiter for info on foods/desserts and gotten the info (not a complete break down but yes, this has a lot of sugar or it is very low).

Good idea on the sauce-on-the-side, Capt. I've always done it with salad dressing, mostly because they're lousy and I just prefer salt and pepper anyway. I guess I just don't eat a lot of saucy stuff in restaurants. I have a prejudice that sauces are used to cover up "sleazy provender", to quote James Bond.

Fortunately we have lots of farmers with their 'artisanat' breads and so forth, but virtually NONE of the normal sugar-free stuff you can find in the US grocery stores. Diet pop, sometimes.

Lane 7_12_6.gif

Trubey......I LOVE your gif. It's fabulous!!!

I have noticed when we travel all over Europe that there are very few of the sugar free items available. The only place you can always get sugar free soda is McDonalds or Burger King but rarely are there cans you can buy to bring home.

I wonder why they don't have much of the sugar free stuff........it has been available in U.S. for many years.

The low fat/fat free stuff is another matter IMO Alot of that is so deceiving in that when they remove the fat, they have added....and what they add is not very desireable IMO

When was the last time you were in Europe? My wife didn't seem to have much of a problem with sugar free beverages.

Roughly twenty to twenty five visits. .....Spain, Portugal, Great Britain, The Netherlands, Denmark, Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and who knows where else I am forgetting. :)

When was the last time you were in Europe? My wife didn't seem to have much of a problem with sugar free beverages.

Heck, I LIVE in Europe.

We can get diet pop now, but only within the last year with any regularity in the Hipermercado in town. VERY few restaurants. Our 'regulars' know us and stock it for me. The fast food joint (a Burger King) is usually out of it.

NO sugar free solid food.

Maybe in more civilized places?

Lane 5_1_119v.gif

Lane.....

To my mind, one of the best travel tips to offer friends going to Europe for the first time is to bear in mind if they need a restroom when out walking in cities all over Europe, find the nearest McDonalds or Burger King. They are always clean, (and often built with marble), always okay for folks to come in and use them as long as you have enough manners to at least buy a cold drink or something to eat. I drink very little soda but when I do have a yen when in Europe, I count on being able to get a diet coke. :)

BTW...we have enjoyed three fabulous visits to Portugal. I love that country and its people.

When eating out, low fat is what I require, so I have to avoid most of the low-carb options and stick to fruits, vegetables and broiled fish. Breakfast on Celebrity was wonderful in the buffet, so I hope it is as well on HAL, with lots of fruits, melon and dry cereal (skim milk is a must). On the Celebrity menu the low calorie options to each course were marked, and this was very helpful, although I was able to request special (no sauce or no butter) cooking instructions for some of my favorite dishes to make them acceptable for me. I can always substitute a vegetable for potato or rice too.

slinkie