Being close to port envy!

dino76

We cruised on the Mariner last month. To get to Port Canaveral we flew : Cork to Heathrow; Heathrow to Washington and then Washington to Orlando. The cost of getting there was more than the price of the cruise but definitely well worth it.

Next October we are cruising on Freedom out of Miami. This time we only have 2 flights: Cork to Heathrow and then Heathrow to Miami.

This year was our first time cruising and it definitely beats the standard two week holiday package to Europe that we have been doing with the kids for the last 15 years. As they say - we are now cruise addicts and happy to be so!:)

We live on the Southwest coast of Florida - we can drive to Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale or even Port Canaveral... We are for the first time taking a "shortie" cruise fix trip (rather than a 7-day cruise) in about 17 days...

All my up north family think when they come down here - it's vacation land for us. Reality?... We W-O-R-K for a living and are not bronzed from laying out every day! (although we are not pale white either!) But, same goes with cruising - unless you are happily retired - us Floridians have jobs (usually taking care of you snow birds! :p when you visit).

So, don't be too jealous of us!!!!!!!! It's awful to be so close and have to drive to work instead of a port!:D

when we're down here. Have you ever looked into flying out of MKE (Milwaukee?) We'll be up north in January and booked flights from MKE to FLL, hotel, and transfers between FLL and the Port of Miami for less than 2 RT tix from MSP. Added bonus: it's NOT on Northworst! :D

You probably dont want to know I rode my bicycle to Port Canaveral this afternoon, had a cold beer and watched a Carnival, a Disney, and a RCI ship sail. I still had envy for all those people waving at us as they sailed by!

:eek: You suck! :p

Wanna trade houses? We have lots of cold snow up here.

:eek: You suck! :p

Wanna trade houses? We have lots of cold snow up here.

It was 82 here today and sunny!!!

I have to say if we did not live in Florida my cruise count would be less. Also its nice to grab a 3 day weekend cruise, for us its the same a camping over the weekend, We just camp on a ship. If I lived further away and had to fly I don't think I would ever take less than a 7 day trip. For the flight cost any shorter cruise almost would not seem worth it.

We feel fortunate to be close to the port (15 mins)....but don't ask my kids.

We just got got back from a quick 3 dayer and actually took them to school on Monday morning after departure. They are in private school and we took their uniforms with us. Got them up, dressed them, fed them, and dropped them off at school on the way home from the port. I'm tough, I know!

Before Plat, it was hard sell to request early departure because, "The kids have school."

But it still one of the benefits of being so close!

I am one of the luckys ones. 20 minutes to the Port of Tampa, 2 hours to Port Canaveral, and around 3.5 hours to the Port of Miami! Relatives live in Ft Lauderdale so we drive down to their house the day before, spend the night there, then have them drive us to the port. No parking fees, all we pay for is gas. You gotta love it! :)

We can see the NYC port out my office window - not my own office, thank goodness or I'd never get anything done, but the conference room and the room where two of my managers sit. It stinks to be in a crummy meeting and hear the ship's horn, then have to watch other people sail away...sigh... I often go to cruisecal.com and see where the lucky people are going...

We're also close to Cape Liberty, and one of these days on the way home from somewhere, I'm going to make DH stop and let me have a look.

It's also sooo expensive to sail out of NY, that it almost always ends up cheaper to fly to Fla.

Archived