Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orcrone

Clamshell question

Looking at pictures it appears that the clamshell is enclosed on three sides. It seems to me that laying on a lounge in the clamshell can get stuffy. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Orcrone

Yes. Only the front is open and they are fixed in position so you cannot more it around to face the direction any breeze may be blowing from. They all face to the ocean.

Depending on the season, the clamsheels could get stuffy. Some days the wind blows from the ocean, other days it may come from the backside of the island.

Well, maybe it's always been the time of year that we are there, that we don't find them hot and stuffy! :p

There has always been a breeze blowing off the ocean and when I find the sun gets too hot, I just crawl into the clam shell. :o

As Canadians who are used to cold water so any time we are there we find the water perfect whereas a lot of paxs find it cold. We don't travel south in the summer - early May would be the latest we would go and then not again until the end of November. Maybe that is why we don't find the clamshells stuffy. :D

We were at HMC last week and boy was it hot and stuffy in the clamshells... It was great to get out of the blasting sun but it was almost unbearable. We spent most of the day in the water which was hot and so clear - it was fabulous! Still, I would get the clamshell again, just to have the option of having a piece of shade... Like everyone else said, I guess it depends on the time of year.

Also, make sure to get a floating mat - the best 6$ I spent! We spent most of our day floating on the water.

After reading the opinions it sounds like I may not use it if it's too stuffy, but it's only $9.00. I'd rather spend it and not use it, than opt out and wish I had it. Now MC, I never heard of these floating mats. That sounds great. Do you rent them when you get to HMC?

DW and I were just in HMC and got a Clam Shell. We spent less than 20 minutes in it (6 hours in the PERFECT water), but still believe it was worth it. Felt more comfortable to me to leave my belongings there. One suggestion: place stuff on BOTH chairs--I came up to see a lady putting her stuff on the other chair, and when I asked her why she said (with poor English) that she thought it was available. Honest mistake...but would not have happened at all if we had put stuff on both chairs.

Also, don't forget your ticket. We got charged twice because we bought a ticket on the ship, left it behind, and got a clam shell right on HMC. We probably could have gotten it taken off, but I didn't want to bother.

You can rent blue floating mats at the activity hut on the beach at HMC. They have a large stack of them but they usually are all spoken for by mid morning....or earlier. They are soooo great for floating in that perfect water and even for putting on the sand to use instead of a lounge chair.

The rental fee is very small.... Another thing that used to be complimentary but now bears a fee.

You can rent blue floating mats at the activity hut on the beach at HMC. They have a large stack of them but they usually are all spoken for by mid morning....or earlier. They are soooo great for floating in that perfect water and even for putting on the sand to use instead of a lounge chair.

The rental fee is very small.... Another thing that used to be complimentary but now bears a fee.

I know DW would love that. We have a blue floating mat for our pool that she uses. I kid her about using the pool without actually getting wet.:D

Unfortunately, we arrive on the Maasdam about 3 hours after the Oosterdam. So if I have to rent them from the hut, they may be all spoken for. Perhaps when it gets close to the time for the Oosterdam to leave we could snag one.

Now MC, I never heard of these floating mats. That sounds great. Do you rent them when you get to HMC?

Hi Orcrone: The floating mats are great!! It's a foam mat that you can rent for 6$ for the whole day. You rent them diretly at the watersport center on HMC. As for the clamshell, even if they are hot, it's a good thing to have one - you can leave your stuff in there. Make sure to reserve it on the ship at the shore excursion desk. They'll give you a voucher that you present at the same watersport center, and then an attendant helps you choose your location and puts it up for you. Have fun!

MC

Orcrone - you can rent the Clamshell on HAL's web site now. Just go into "For booked Guests". Click on Shore Excursions and HMC.

We have already rented a clam shell for our December Cruise. Think I will rent one for our January cruise also.

Orcrone - you can rent the Clamshell on HAL's web site now. Just go into "For booked Guests". Click on Shore Excursions and HMC.

We have already rented a clam shell for our December Cruise. Think I will rent one for our January cruise also.

Thanks Esme. Actually seeing it on the shore excursion list is what made me think of it.:)

I know DW would love that. We have a blue floating mat for our pool that she uses. I kid her about using the pool without actually getting wet.:D

Sounds just like me!!! I have large lounges with huge styrofoam arms that make the chair float. Great if you want to read.....

Sounds just like me!!! I have large lounges with huge styrofoam arms that make the chair float. Great if you want to read.....

And then when she's ready to get out of the pool she has me drag the mat, with her on it, over to the stairs.:)

Last time we were at HMC (it's been several years) it was hard to find any chairs on the beach with just one ship in port. It was also hard to keep it if you went in the water. We are also on the Maasdam out of Norfolk Oct 30-is it worth getting a clamshell with 2 ships in port, particularly when the the first ship in is much larger.Thanks.

Last time we were at HMC (it's been several years) it was hard to find any chairs on the beach with just one ship in port. It was also hard to keep it if you went in the water. We are also on the Maasdam out of Norfolk Oct 30-is it worth getting a clamshell with 2 ships in port, particularly when the the first ship in is much larger.Thanks.

You wouldnt have that problem now! There were enough lounger chairs there for 2 1/2 ships, they were everywhere, and tons still stacked up not being used.

Mike,

Why don't you head on over to the HAL roll call board and say hello over there.:)

Marc

I am sure this is not a new idea but, in July my DH put a couple of rocks under the back wall of the clamshell. This is easy because both the front and back raise up. This provided a good cross through breeze. It also was good because we could find ours easy walking behind all the clamshells back from the bar!!

I am sure this is not a new idea but, in July my DH put a couple of rocks under the back wall of the clamshell. This is easy because both the front and back raise up. This provided a good cross through breeze. It also was good because we could find ours easy walking behind all the clamshells back from the bar!!

Great idea! Thanks for sharing :)