What to buy in Cartagena - no emeralds

circee

We will be taking the walking tour of the old city in Cartagena week after next. Would someone post what things we can buy, and what prices we can expect to pay? I am not interested in emeralds or other high priced items. I would like locally hand-crafted items.

Thanks in advance.

Circee

I found some really nice braided leather hairbands in the Dungeons. Say, $5 to $7 each worth about $30 to $60 here. I have some Coach bands so know my hairbands. Hand embroidered rayon or cotton blouses were nice and a few places sell weird, in a nice way, painted small pieces of furniture that are in catalogs I get priced in the hundreds. You can get a neat standing jewelry box for maybe $40 TO 50. Lots of T-shirts, not many of decent quality.

Exactly the kinds of things I was interested in - thanks so much.

No problem. I like to support local artisans. You can buy a keepsake emerald for about $15 for grins. I got a small blown glass man hauling a bag over his shoulder that is filled with a cleaned straight from the mines emerald/s and he is glued or melted to a glass base. It made me and the DH laugh since he's been hauling my butt around since a spinal cord injury years ago. And I'm still a gem. LOL

There are also a lot of handicrafts in the duty free you pass through from the ship to the buses and taxis that include mole items, carved wooden items, coffee-organic is available but not shade grown, some leather goods and wayyyy overpriced jewelry. Might price what they have then head into town. If you want something from the duty free you have to go by that area to reboard your ship. And as we reboarded a government tourist type was handing out free 2 ounce packages of Columbian coffee.

We were on that same trip last week. There was no shortage of toilet facilities. View from the monastery was outstanding and they had a restroom. I too thought the vendors were agressive. But a no thank you seems to work for us.

As with many large cities Cartagena had their share of unkept places. Parts of this city was very clean. We really enjoyed Cartagena and would like to revisit someday.

as my wife like a lot of women need the toilet on trips are they around in this shopping complex as we are taking the monestry and las bovedas trip in feb

many thanks steve

Check your calendar for when Lent begins and count back for Carnival. Most cities need time to recover from the partying. Always a good idea to carry kleenex, individually wrapped handiwipes and Purell.

• 3 weeks later...

LUCKY YOU... We have been to Cartegena several times...first if you go to the Dungeons...look for SILK macrame shawls.. As you leave the terminal price them.. I belive they are made by women in prison.. Emeralds are not my favorite gem... but the shaws are gorgeous..come in all colors..We have managed to find hidden away some folk art too

We were there the end of November. I collect nativity sets and found several unusual craft ones there for $10 and under. I also went to Lee Miles emerald shop. I recognized him from his website. He was very kind and not pushing in selling his emeralds. I said I had a very small budget and he instructed his staff to show me things that were in my price range. He also gives a 10% discount for cash or check. No problem with a personal Texas check. The dungeons was fun and interesting to look at the crafts but many pushy independent peddlers out front. Just say no.

• 3 weeks later...

Maltoose,

If I am not being too intrusive, would you mind telling me what types of things you were shown and how much money they were. Did you pay in U.S. dollars or there money? Thanks!!

g8trzz

So.....it sounds to me like the Dungeons is the place to shop. Can you walk to the Dungeons from the terminal? My mom is going on the cruise with us and would LOVE the crafts. Even though she is 81, she can get around pretty well. She has a bad back though. Do you think she would be able to go to this place to shop? Were there table runners, linens at reasonable prices? Lots of questions, but I am soooo excited about this trip and am trying to gather as much info as possible! Thanks

g8trzz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived