Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lillygator

Cabo day at the beach??

The ME (used to be the Melia) is a hotel right in the middle of Medano beach. It is the only resort that allows non-guests to use their facilities. I think they charge $25/pp but then they give that back as food/drink credit. It is a beautiful resort in a great location but what I hate about it is that it has VERY LOUD techno music blaring all day and night which personally drives me crazy! It caters to the young crowd and also has drinking games around the pools and body-shot contests, bikini contests, wet t-shirt contests, etc- so if you have small children, this might not be the place for you.

I am early 40's with no kids but would never be able to stay for very long because of the music- if you like techno you will love it!:)

Thanks Househunter. No longer a fan of loud music. What does ME stand for? We might check it out for when we bring our 21 y/o in 2009. If you grab a taxi and say we want the ME, will they know what we mean?

Thanks!

Hmm- not sure what it stands for if anything. It used to be called the Melia. Yes, a cab driver will know where to go. It is right on Medano Beach. Your 21 year old will probably like the nightclub there- Passions. It attracts the young, hip crowd. TV and entertainment shows are sometimes filming there. Tara Reid, Nicky Hilton, the girls from the Bachelor and that Bret Michaels from Poison reality show all had scenes from there.

Hello houshunter,

When you say Go to the Tio booth right at the ME beach and ask for Traun- he will fix you up! What is the Tio Booth?

We'd like to spend a beach day at ME but we don't know how to go about it. Do we take a water tax to ME and then go to the front desk and ask about a beach day or what?

Tio is an activity company that has a booth on the beach in front of the ME. Yes the best way to get to the ME would be by water taxi and then just let your waiter know that you are there for the day- her will let you know the procedure.

Have fun!:)

Tio is an activity company that has a booth on the beach in front of the ME. Yes the best way to get to the ME would be by water taxi and then just let your waiter know that you are there for the day- her will let you know the procedure.

Have fun!:)

Thanks for the info. Now I'd like to pick your brain some more. Have you been to the The Glass Factory and if so, is it far from the dock or ME and do they charge to tour it?

Househunter, Thanks for the info. Now I'd like to pick your brain some more. Have you been to the The Glass Factory and if so, is it far from the dock or ME and do they charge to tour it?

No sorry- I have never been to the Glass factory. I have heard that it is quite a ways out of town so I think you would have to take a cab and they can be quite expensive in Cabo.

Hopefully someone who has been there can chime in. You might want to go to the tripadvisor board on the Cabo forum. It is very active over there with alot of regulars. You could do a search there and I bet you would find more info.

Good luck!:)

looks like househunter has filled you in on most. the glass factory is just behind town, behind the office depot. the taxi guys know how to get there but they do charge a bit. the markets next to the `cruise ship tender have crafts, not sure about the prices, but would be more open to negotiations..

Thanks for everyone who has answered so patiently all our questions. For someone who has never been there, its quite a thing to try and make plans to spend the few precious hours while in port, as productive and pleasurable as possible.

I just saw on another thread that the prices at the Me has now gone up to $ 35 pp.

1. How crowded is Medano Beach on cruise ship days?

We also just want to put a towel down and enjoy the beach for a while. I was thinking about Lover's beach as well but I read that its a real small beach and swimming there is a challenge as its used as the water taxi drop off.

Another option I am thinking of is to go on the public bus that runs every 20 mins or so and go to a quiet beach away from the hussle and bussle of Medano.

2. Which beaches are scenic and enjoyable that are not too far out of Cabo? We dont need any amenities egwashrooms/bars nearby as we only will be on the beach for less than 2 hours.

As we are thinking to take the bus in any case for a scenic drive to San Jose, just to see how it looks along the Corridor and to get more of a authentic local Mexican flavour while in Cabo.

Quiet Waters,

When my wife and I were in Cabo last March, we wanted to lay out on the beach for a couple of hours in the afternoon before returning back to the ship. We took a water taxi from the pier to Medano beach. They dropped us off in front of a place called "The Office". The beach was full of college kids. Loud music was blaring from the PA speakers and the kids were playing all sorts of drinking games. I'll skip the obnoxious details of the games, but we walked about 100 yards further down the beach away from the noise where we saw some white and blue chaise lounges and white roofed open air cabanas. We laid out there on a couple of vacant chaise lounges under the cabana. We brought our beach towels from the ship. Soon a waiter came by and ordered a couple of cervezas and some nachos. He let us run a tab and we stayed there for about three hours before we paid him and walked back to the noisy area to catch a water taxi back to the pier. I think that the Melia was the resort behind us on the beach where we were. We didn't have to pay anything extra and it was a nice quiet place to lay out. We definitely will go back there again on our next cruise.

Bob

The college kids were probably at Billigan's, next door to "The Office." We love the food at The Office and we love hanging out in the sand there with a bucket of Corona's. Yes, Billigan's does have more activity going on but it only ads to the fun. The beach in front is very nice to lounge on down near the water. There are a lot of vendors on the beach. If you are at the tables under the umbrella's at The Office they aren't allowed to approach you so you aren't bothered unless you want to be. Anyhow, we have been to Cabo twice, first time took a glass bottom boat out to Lover's Beach for some snorkeling, did some deep sea fishing, too, and enjoyed the night life downtown. Last time we were there just for a day and I actually made a reservation ahead of time at The Office online before our trip. We just walked from the harbor, past the plaza and up the hill then down to the beach. Not far at all. The water at the beach is wonderful, too. Have fun, whatever you decide! We hope to get back there soon.