Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soccergirly

Xcambo ruins

Has anyone been to the Xcambo ruins? We are considering doing the Mayan Rality Tour that visits Xcambo and then you can stop in town and shop. Is it cool and worth it to visit? I've been to Tulum and that was amazing!

If that doesn't get good reviews we are thinking of doing the Meridia City Overview and Shopping tour.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Soccergirly!:)

We recently went to Xcambo. We went through the Flamingo Tour (http://www.autoprogreso.com/portprogreso.html.htm) with Autoprogreso ($18 pp) rather than the ship's Mayan Reality Tour ($87 pp). The tour lasted a little more than 2 hours where the one you are considering is 4 hours. We wanted a short tour as well as a short bus ride. Take your binoculars if you want to see the flamingos. I left mine on the ship. :o

As it states here http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-xcambo.htm, though Xcambo is a large site, it is still under renovation and reconstruction. The ruins (the buildings) are not as large as the other ruins you can go to from Progreso (from the pictures I have seen anyway, I haven't been to them nor I have been to Tulum). You can climb them though and many people were. We enjoyed the tour and had time to look around the market in Progreso before the tour and walk to the beach for a while after the tour before returning to the ship.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Has anyone been to the Xcambo ruins? We are considering doing the Mayan Rality Tour that visits Xcambo and then you can stop in town and shop. Is it cool and worth it to visit? I've been to Tulum and that was amazing!

If that doesn't get good reviews we are thinking of doing the Meridia City Overview and Shopping tour.

We took the Reef Yucatan Resort tour with AutoProgreso and it included the Flamingos and Xcambo tours. The ruins are small but well kept. (Well kept ruins? Doesn't sound right, huh?) Anyhow, it only takes a half hour or so to see these ruins. If you've seen Tulum, you won't be impressed with Xcambo. Merida has some really neat buildings. If you go there be sure to take your camera.