Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giorgi-one

Travel Insurance - Existing Conditions

As far as I can tell, all travel insurance companies will only cover previously existing conditions if you purchase the travel insurance within 15 - 20 days of making your first deposit. Since you can cancel at any time until final payment without penalty, I don't see the reasoning behing this requirement. The only advantage I can see is that the insurance company gets to use your money for months or years before your cruise. I never think about insurance when I first book a cruise. This is a big loophole for the insurance companies if you don't buy when you first book. They can argue that anything was a previously existing condition. Are there any companies that provide coverage if you purchase with final payment.

We do not use the cruise line insurance.

We have been happy with Access America. And we don't have to send in the insurance premium when we book the cruise. There are times when we book cruises nearly 18 months in advance.

We have a cruise coming up in January and I want send for the insurance until November.

I was not referring to cruise line insureance. Both Travel Guard and Travelex have this requirement for Trip cancellation insurance. This is not a requirement for post departure protection. I will check Access America.

Giorgi. Suggest you check out http://www.insuremytrip.com for comparisons of different policies. Preexisting conditions usually only refer to medical conditions for which you have sought treatment within the previous 180 days and/or had prescriptions issued of changed in that period. Yes, they have your money longer but considering the preexisting conditions coverage it's a more than fair trade-off. Purchasing the third party insurance is now a natural thing to do as soon as I book the cruise or trip.

As far as I can tell, all travel insurance companies will only cover previously existing conditions if you purchase the travel insurance within 15 - 20 days of making your first deposit. Since you can cancel at any time until final payment without penalty, I don't see the reasoning behing this requirement. The only advantage I can see is that the insurance company gets to use your money for months or years before your cruise. I never think about insurance when I first book a cruise. This is a big loophole for the insurance companies if you don't buy when you first book. They can argue that anything was a previously existing condition. Are there any companies that provide coverage if you purchase with final payment.

If I read you correctly, you're asking is there is any company that will cover preexisting conditions if you delay purchase until final payment date. The answer to that would be no. We always wait until final payment because we don't have existing health problems. The insurance company can't just arbitrarily argue pre-existing. They'd have to prove it thru medical records or an exam.

Obviously, it's wise to purchase early if you do have an existing health condition. You won't always lose your premium if you have to cancel prior to your travel date. Most insurance companies will transfer your coverage to a future booking. Another good argument for the TA. I always purchase insurance thru the TA. He/she has more clout than the individual and can better bargain a reschedule with the insurance company.

The small window is to cut down on antiselection -- the insurance industry term for buying insurance when there's a good chance you may need to make a claim. Actually, until a few years ago, pre-existing conditions were rarely covered, no matter when you purchased the policy.

Check policies carefully, as some will cover cancellation and trip interruption for a pre-existing condition of a closely related family member who is not traveling with you.

When insurance companies refer to preexisting conditions are they just referring to the people travelling, or to anyone who could cause an interruption of your cruise.

For instance, if you have a parent with a heart condition and have to cancel your cruise due to that parent's heart attack could they avoid paying because the heart condition was a preexisting condition? Or is it that they're only referring to preexisting conditions for those travelling?

I believe the pre-ex clause applies to anyone the policy recognizes as a reason for trip cancellation. Most policies cover travelers plus immediate family members. There are many folks out there who would become ill, receive a limiting diagnosis, and only then go out and purchase insurance to cover them. That's what Lisa63 was talking about, and it's not really fair for someone to do that, IMO. Sure, the insurance company gets to hold your funds and earn income on it for many months. But that's the only way they can justify offering the pre-ex coverage.

I believe the pre-ex clause applies to anyone the policy recognizes as a reason for trip cancellation. Most policies cover travelers plus immediate family members. There are many folks out there who would become ill, receive a limiting diagnosis, and only then go out and purchase insurance to cover them. That's what Lisa63 was talking about, and it's not really fair for someone to do that, IMO. Sure, the insurance company gets to hold your funds and earn income on it for many months. But that's the only way they can justify offering the pre-ex coverage.
Thanks for the answer. I don't have a problem with them doing that. I just didn't think of it when booking my October cruise. As DW and I thankfully have no pre-existing conditions we decided to put off purchasing insurance until final payment was due. It wasn't until we were past the deadline for waiver of pre-existing conditions that we thought of other people.

For our cruise next March we purchased it less than a week after booking the cruise to get the waiver.

We have been happy with Access America. And we don't have to send in the insurance premium when we book the cruise. There are times when we book cruises nearly 18 months in advance.

We have a cruise coming up in January and I want send for the insurance until November.

And you still are covered for prexisting conditions? It didn't seem that way when I read their policy.

Interesting fact: I just checked my Travel Guard policy for their definition of Immediate Family. Very liberal. Any family member with a closer relationship than cousins are considered immediate family.

When you are 69 and 79 (us), have 3 parents ages 99, 94 and 94, you are inclined to purchase travel insurance (NOT from the cruise lines) and gladly pay for pre-existing coverage. So far, so good. We have NO medical conditions but at all our ages, who knows. Sorry, forgot assorted sports injuries (me):D .

Please remember to read the fine print. Each insurance product is different.

Bev

Following is a direct quote from Access America's Travel With Ease provisions (emphasis mine):

"In order to have the Pre-existing Conditions Exclusion waived, you must insure the full cost of all non-refundable trip arrangements within fourteen days of your initial trip deposit, be medically able to to travel at time of purchase of insurance and have not filed a claim within 120 days of the effective date of this insurance."

If I read you correctly, you're asking is there is any company that will cover preexisting conditions if you delay purchase until final payment date. The answer to that would be no.
I think I trapped myself by making an unequivocal statement "The answer to that would be no." I should have specifically referred to standard insurance policies. You can buy insurance to cover any nearly any event/condition, assuming you're willing to pay the premium.