Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travelbug 2

To pack or not to pack--that is the question

We will be cruising the Med' with Holland America during the first two weeks of Oct' and are wondering about what to pack!! What is it like "on deck" at that time of year? Will the weather in ports (western Med') be suitable for shorts? Maybe we should pack for any weather pattern but I am trying to cut down on luggage.

Any advise from seasoned travellers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bert

If you visit www.weatherbase.com you can find historical data for temperature and rainfall by month for most any country on earth. I think you'll find it mild to cool in October. Athens, for instance, has an average temp of 67 in October, with an average high of 73.

I'd suggest you ask in the various ports forums for those ports you'll be visiting. Ask both about weather and "suitability" (i.e., are shorts frowned upon when visiting the cathedrals in Italy? Answer: yes.)

People also do dress a bit more "formally" for a European cruise, so do take that into account.

Good point, dakrewser. I believe the rule in Rome is that shoulders and knees must be covered when visiting churches.

..when in Rome..

Problem with the port boards is that people rarely go to them, at least the ones I have looked at and posted on.

When planning what to bring for a European cruise, I would erase the image of how you dress for the Caribbean. You may want a pair of shorts or two for on the ship, but I don't think you would want to wear them ashore....at least DH and I do not wear shorts when touring any city.

Think in terms of khakis ....short sleeve and long sleeve shirts/jerseys. You should bring a light/medium weight rain jacket. A few sweaters but most important of all if VERY comfortable walking shoes.

You'll have a wonderful time. HAL does a great job on European cruises IMO

Good advice, S7S. I took a Mediterranean cruise in mid September and the weather was perfect. I took a light jacket, but on looking at the pictures my DH took, I was the only one with a jacket on. The daytime temps were in the 70's. I would expect them to be slightly cooler in October, and as S7 says, remember the dress code on excursions. I generally wore my informal skirts and knit tops on those trips.

I hope you have as much fun as I did on that trip - But then, it was my honeymoon, so it will be hard to top!

Slinkie

We leave in less than two weeks for our Med cruise on Westerdam. The weather page has been showing 70's for the area. Sail's suggestions sound just about right. I guess I better start packing!