Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travelbug 2

Has anyone stayed here?? (Barcelona)

Hi it's me again---this is a re-post from the "hotels" board, this board is much more active and informative --------- the response may be better.

My wife and I are staying in Barcelona for 2 days pre cruise in early Oct.

We did not want to be in the busy-busy city center ( except for sightseeing )and have booked at the AC FRONT MARITIM, about 10min outside the city center and overlooking the sea. Good rates, modern and all mod cons etc. Has anyone had any experience of this hotel? (It is next to the "Port Olympic" I think.)

Happy cruising.

Bert.

According to TripAdvisor ut's rated #57 (out of 435) hotels in Barcelona, but the reviews are all over the place - you should read them. We've found that by careful reading of TripAdvisor reviews (so that you can tell if someone has an axe to grind, or is - perhaps - a cousin of the owner) you can get a good idea of what the place offers.

We find, though, that staying nearer the city center in Barcelona works out a lot better for sightseeing, dining, shopping and just getting around easily.

We just got back from the Splendour of the Seas. Staying at the AC Front Maritim for 2 days afterward. The hotel is immaculate and modern. Would compare it to a "W" Hotel. The rooms are a little larger than a typical European room. They have beautiful hardwood floors and green marble and glass bathrooms. They have all ameneties including toothbrushes and powerful hairdryer. There are mints on the four king sized pillows. The beds are very comfortable. In the hallways there are 3 fridges with granny smith apples and bottles of water. There is a very good breakfast buffet, with hot and cold foods, fruits and pastries. From 12-5 pm, they offer a self service coffee bar and make your own cocktails and soft drinks and juices. They also offer free internet service, although the getting to the US sites was very slow. The service is very good and everyone speaks English very well. The hotel is a 20 minute walk from the port/Las Ramblas or a 5 minute walk to the subway and a 5-10 min ride into town. We bought a 6Euro ticket for 10 trips. There is also a bus stop outside and the Tourist Bus stop is the next block down. We took a taxi from the port and it was 12 Euro and 3 min. drive. Barcelona is a very busy, noisy city, so it was a relief to get away from it and get a good night's sleep. The distance from the city center is a minimal inconvenience. We stayed the next few nights in Munich's city center and were wishing that we had stayed outside the city as we did in Barcelona. It was much more relaxing. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Have stayed there and have stayed at the Hotel Colon. We prefer the Colon. If you book it, ask for the fifth or sixth floor and a room over looking the Cathedral. Really liked the Rey Juan Carlos but it is really far out of town.

We are now back from our Med' cruise and have to say we agree with jibliss2 in all the comments about the hotel. It was great, being just outside the city was NOT an inconvenience. We returned to the hotel via the touristic bus (green line) after a busy day of sightseeing and were so glad we did not stay in the city. It was a peaceful, modern, well run hotel and I for one would highly reccommend it. We had a sea view room on the second (top) floor and only had to walk about 5 min's over a small bridge to get to the beach. The price was reasonable ( 106 euros a night ). Anyone wanting peace and quiet away from the merry-go-round of the city center should really research this little gem!!

Happy cruising. Bert

PS. There are a couple of deli's at the back of the hotel with very reasonable food if you do not want the formality of the hotel resturant.

THANKS........Travelbug2 .... I am looking for a hotel in Barcelona and also don't like the idea of staying in a busy area. So, you have just convinced me to book this hotel and in case it is unavailable for the days I need, to keep looking for one along the beach area. Your second posting is much appreciated.

Your welcome jasl ------ enjoy your stay. There is another hotel about two blocks away but I can not remember the name, lots of info on the web though.

Happy cruising.