Very twisted thinking on my part.

Orcrone

When I booked our Zuiderdam cruise for next March the price differential was almost $250 per person to go from a VB verandah to an SS. I couldn't justify the price diff. I looked at my TA's website today and saw that the VBs went up well over $100 in cost while the SS cabins stayed the same. So if I were booking today the difference to go from VB to SS would only be a little over $100 per person and I'd book it in a heartbeat.

Now I'm thinking that it would have been great if we waited and paid more for the VB, so I could justify spending even more money on the SS. Is this unusual thinking, or is there some kind of logic to it?

When I booked our Zuiderdam cruise for next March the price differential was almost $250 per person to go from a VB verandah to an SS. I couldn't justify the price diff. I looked at my TA's website today and saw that the VBs went up well over $100 in cost while the SS cabins stayed the same. So if I were booking today the difference to go from VB to SS would only be a little over $100 per person and I'd book it in a heartbeat.

Now I'm thinking that it would have been great if we waited and paid more for the VB, so I could justify spending even more money on the SS. Is this unusual thinking, or is there some kind of logic to it?

With that kind of grasp on economics, you arte obviously a high level government ecomomist. Who else could explain such a complex issue with such clarity:D

With that kind of grasp on economics, you arte obviously a high level government ecomomist. Who else could explain such a complex issue with such clarity:D
Actually I'm not, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

Marc, you have definitely gone way over the top:) ! This is the way I see it: If you really want the SS so badly that you are still studying it so closely then you should just upgrade and be done with it. It's only money.

I say that because I have just spent almost $500 on coolers, batteries, and food we hope we'll never have to use or eat readying for a hurricane we hope never comes. My point is that it changes my perspective and I now realize that a few hundred dollars in either direction is not going to break the bank. I would have paid $100 for the cooler alone if that was what it cost. It was that important to me.

Gather your rosebuds while you may ... for time's afleeting (or something like that;) ). You never know what's right around the bend so you should do the things you really want if you can afford them.

Stop kicking yourself and do it. A very good friend told me one day that $1000 on the other end of our lives really isn't going to make a big difference one way or the other.

Marc, you have definitely gone way over the top:) ! This is the way I see it: If you really want the SS so badly that you are still studying it so closely then you should just upgrade and be done with it. It's only money.

I say that because I have just spent almost $500 on coolers, batteries, and food we hope we'll never have to use or eat readying for a hurricane we hope never comes. My point is that it changes my perspective and I now realize that a few hundred dollars in either direction is not going to break the bank. I would have paid $100 for the cooler alone if that was what it cost. It was that important to me.

Gather your rosebuds while you may ... for time's afleeting (or something like that;) ). You never know what's right around the bend so you should do the things you really want if you can afford them.

Stop kicking yourself and do it. A very good friend told me one day that $1000 on the other end of our lives really isn't going to make a big difference one way or the other.

I agree...book the SS!

Marie

Heather,

You definitely have the correct perspective. I keep hoping that the hurricane will go somewhere aside from Florida, partly because you poor people there got hit twice and partly because my mom's down there (Boynton Beach). In fact, they're still without power from Frances. Luckily they're able to stay at someone else's home.

Last year, after hurricane Isabel, while the rest of the family went out to breakfast I stood on line at Home Depot and bought one of the last generators. We may never use it again (doubt it), but just being able to resume some normal activity was worth it.

With that said I'm just the type to still watch prices after I've decided on something. I booked non-refundable airline tickets for that cruise several days ago. No sense in continuing to look, I'm not changing our travel plans now that the tickets are purchased. But I keep looking for the heck of it. Of course the fact that they went up $155 per person afterwards makes me feel better about the decision to purchase them.:D

You're absolutely right. The extra $500 for two of us won't be noticed tomorrow. I just realize that I'm extremely lucky to have a job that allows me to take off time when I want to travel, and the money to afford to do it. There's so much more important to me than having a larger room. It's all pretty insignificant when I think of those that have lost their homes, or worse, after Charley, Frances and Ivan.

Orcrone, I hear you! I know I can get real "creative" when I need to justify something. I can pretty much guarantee you'll have that SS soon, if you don't already. If you're having trouble, all you gotta do is give it another few minutes. Don't give up! Denial sux! ;)

Take it from me; I can build a case for fun and extravagance like nobody's fool! Or everybody's fool, .. never mind.

OK, wattya need? About $500 worth of rationalizing? No problem!

Here are some random rationales that can help you clear that final hurdle...

OK, I should definitely upgrade because it's only $500 and ......

- the Lil Missus deserves it - she works so hard

- I'll NOT get the $3800 power washer I want. Instead I'll get the $3300 one

- I WON'T go to the Super Bowl like I was just kinda thinking I might like to do someday

- If we cancel that 24/7 Lithuanian Soap Opera channel we're paying an extra $2.95 a month for I'd have that money back in less than 20 years, and I never watch it anyway

- Ya know, the cruise industry is being hit so hard this year. This is just my way of stepping up to plate to ensure their future.

- Hey, it's an early Christmas present for 2004, no, I used that one up 4 years ago... hmmm.. OK, it's an early Christmas present for 2018!

- Oh! I forgot that I got back an extra $300 from taxes last year! Well, sure I spent it, but I wasn't planning on getting it, so it's like free money! Now I just need $200 - hey, that's under $30/day - no brainer! We have a winner!

- I'll sell some stuff on ebay. I know I have $500 worth of junk somebody'll buy, like that stereo in the attic I paid $600 for 25 years ago. That's gotta be worth something.

- (for advanced rationalizers only): I'll do it for charity.

Huh??? Sure! I'll write a $500 check to HAL for the upgrade, but I'll ALSO write a MATCHING check to the Florida hurricane relief fund, which I wouldn't have done. In fact, I'll even add $100 to their check! What a guy!

(this works well but must be done very quickly without any further thought. It's like running yourself around the contract.)

Marc, I think it is totally logical, we did the same thing with our Westerdam for March of 2005. We were booked on a VA aft cabin and I kept looking at the SS cabins knowing that going back to an A on the Vista class will be really hard. (We have a S for our Ryndam in November and a S for the Oosterdam Oct. 2005) I was having a hard time justifying the difference, then the price went up on the VA and I kept seeing much lower prices on about 6 different web sites for the SS. When I called my TA she still had the higher price she quoted me weeks before. I was upset but still had her change to a SS but I need to keep bugging her for the lower price before our final payment in December. In the past she has always matched the price (or came really close) to what I was finding on different Internet web sites. She has book only 6 cruises for us but I have referred her lots of customers and she knows we will continue to cruise.

Any way after all my rambling, go ahead and change to a SS. Life is too short not to enjoy:p

I'll ALSO write a MATCHING check to the Florida hurricane relief fund, which I wouldn't have done. In fact, I'll even add $100 to their check! What a guy!

Roboat, I can save you a lot of time and trouble. Just write that check out to me and mail it directly to me c/o the Heather Relief Fund:D . I promise to put it directly toward relief. Hehehehehe. Love people who rationalize. I can do it better than anyone.

Marc, okay ... I understand what you're saying. I was just trying to get you what you really want. Personally the bigger room doesn't matter that much to us (well to me, but not to DH). But I just think if you really want it, and you can get it, you should go for it:) .

From a wives point of view I would love it if my dh "threw caution to the wind" and upgraded us to a SS or S...most times he is just too practical, we both are :). I would be one VERY happy woman for the week ;).

Also, still HIGHLY recommend ordering a dozen roses for whatever room you are in...the price is very reasonable, imo, and the payoff BIG for you!

Marie

From a wives point of view I would love it if my dh "threw caution to the wind" and upgraded us to a SS or S...most times he is just too practical, we both are :). I would be one VERY happy woman for the week ;).

Also, still HIGHLY recommend ordering a dozen roses for whatever room you are in...the price is very reasonable, imo, and the payoff BIG for you!

Marie

Marie,

Although we're both fairly fiscally conservative, DW is the more practical one. Aside from which we're going from an outside (she thinks it's an inside) in October, to a balcony in March. So this still gives us something to step up to on our next cruise.

However, I'm sure that DW is impractical enough to enjoy the roses.;)

So, Marc, then I can look for your $600 contribution to the Heather Relief Fund, too? I'm assuming since you agreed with Roboat's thinking that you meant that across the board.:D

Marc, thank you for your generous donation. Of course, as the overseer of the Heather Relief Fund, I do need to ensure that our administrative expenses and salaries are covered prior to actually dispensing the funds to Heather. A full accounting will be forthcoming, but I am pleased to report that, of the initial $600 donation, we expect to disburse approximately $11 to Heather, in FY07.

Marc, thank you for your generous donation. Of course, as the overseer of the Heather Relief Fund, I do need to ensure that our administrative expenses and salaries are covered prior to actually dispensing the funds to Heather. A full accounting will be forthcoming, but I am pleased to report that, of the initial $600 donation, we expect to disburse approximately $11 to Heather, in FY07.
A professsional fundraiser I see.:rolleyes:

Orcrone,

I understand your logic perfectly, but then again I have been with GF so long , I actually see the logic in her buying $100 worth of makeup that she doesn't need, to get a free tote bag or umbrella that she really doesn't want *LOL*

Seriously though, Enjoy, as long as you can afford it, go for the SS. Life is just too short :)

Orcrone,

I understand your logic perfectly, but then again I have been with GF so long , I actually see the logic in her buying $100 worth of makeup that she doesn't need, to get a free tote bag or umbrella that she really doesn't want *LOL*

It's an offshoot of the "more you spend, the more you save" philosophy.

remind me to keep GF away from you when we are in Las Vegas *LOL*

I don't need you helping her clean out the Forum Shops *LOL*

Oh Yes the Forum Shops:D , then there is also the Fashion Show (not far away)

Actually I think you should get a hold of me I could take her to all the REALLY GOOD PLACES:D

When are you coming to Vegas?? I think I remember you saying something about that.

October 2

Oh I know all about the Fashion Show Mall too. *LOL*

I was wondering. They had this really cool store there the last time I was there at FSM. It was this store that sold all kinds of autographed pictures and signed letters of all types of celebrities and famous people. It was really a great store and very interesting. Is that store still there?

Archived