Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny B

John and Diane's Amazing Round the World Aventure

We've talked about it, we've planned for it, and we've packed for it, but now we're about to begin it: our 114 day round the world cruise on the MS Amsterdam. We'll fly to Ft. Lauderdale on January 1 and sail on January 4.

For those of you who don't know us, we're John and Diane, retired English teachers, from Central California. We've been sailing fans since 1964, when we celebrated our first anniversary with a crossing from San Francisco to Honolulu. Since then, we've sailed (again) to Hawaii, to the South Pacific, to Mexico, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. However, we've never gone "all the way around," so here we are! This is a grand way to see many of the places that have been on our "to see" list for a very long time.

This cruise is Holland America Line's "Golden Anniversary Odyssey," celebrating their 50th year of round the world cruises. We'll visit Grand Cayman, Costa Rica, Panama, French Polynesia, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin), Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth), Bali, Brunei, Philippines, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, India (Madras and Bombay), Oman, Egypt, Turkey, Russia, Ukraine, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Libya (maybe), Gibraltar, Portugal, Madeira, Bermuda, New York and, on April 27, Ft. Lauderdale again.

One of the most exciting parts for us is the overland tours we've scheduled:

Vietnam and Cambodia (Angkor Wat), India (Madras, Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur), and Egypt (Luxor, Valley of the Kings, Aswan, Abu Simbel, and Cairo). We've also booked some great shore excursions, including climbing the bridge in Sydney, sailing on an America's Cup yacht in Auckland, and exploring the jungle by boat in Costa Rica.

We decided that, since this is the "trip of a lifetime," we might as well go whole hog, so we've booked a stateroom with a balcony to enjoy all that warm weather in the Southern Hemisphere. One advantage of the balcony stateroom is that Holland America includes free unlimited luggage shipment, picked up at our house and delivered to our stateroom. The only glitch occurred when one of our eight bags was "re-delivered" to us from FedEx, since their tag had come off. However, it has now been picked up again and promises to be in our stateroom upon check-in.

We've each had 4 shots, and this Friday will be the 5th, a Hep A/B 2nd round. We've also ordered our Malarone to avoid Malaria from Vietnam to India. There is soooo much to plan! The only visa necessary before boarding was for India, so we used a recent trip to London to get extra visa pages and a few days in San Francisco to secure our India visas. As soon as those junk drawers in the kitchen are straightened out, I think we'll be ready to go!

So, on January 1, we'll be up way too early to fly from San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles to Orlando to Miami, thence by rental car to Ft. Lauderdale to spend 3 days in the sun awaiting our grand adventure. Part of one of those days will be spent at a wine store, ordering a few cases to be delivered to our stateroom for use during the cruise. One never knows when stress will settle in, necessitating a bottle of Champagne.

So, with hopes that all 8 pieces of luggage arrive in our stateroom and that we remain in good health, we will continue this blog as we proceed around the world.

John and Diane

John and Diane,

Have a wonderful time! A World Cruise is something you will never forget. Even though I was an officer onboard, it is one of my fondest memories.

SG

John and Diane, have a FABULOUS trip and we look forward to reading about your trip. Enjoy every minute -- we will live vicariously through you as this is something we want to do "before we get too old".

Safe travels and Cheers! Happy New Year.

I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I love reading about world cruises. I've still got quite a few work years ahead of me but a world cruise is for sure on my to do list. I wish you a pleasant cruise and thank you in advance for writing about your adventures. Have an awesome time!

Bon Voyage on what will truly be a trip of a lifetime!!:D :D :D

Look forward to hearing from you as time allows, as many of us can only dream of a voyage like that!!

I ask your permission to lurk on this thread. I'm not a Holland cruiser -- but I'm going to love reading your around the world blog!!!

God speed to you and best of luck in your travels!!! I hope to someday do the same... hummmm, Around the World!! How lovely!

Travel safely and have a totally fabulous time.

How generous of you to 'take us along' with you as you see the world.

Bon Voyage!!!

Fair Winds and a following sea........

For taking us along:) I can just imagine how excited you are, wishing you a wonderful voyage:)

Thanks for starting this Johnny B - looking forward to reading about your grand voyage.

We can't wait to read all about your adventures. As you are both teachers of English I expect great things from your blog.

Thanks for sharing.

John and Diane,

Thank you for the advance notice of your wonderful trip and like the others, I look forward to your continuing reports.

Have a safe, healthy and memorable experience.

Wayne

Thanks for the heads up about your incredible trip! I'll be checking every day to hear the news about your adventure.

Have a wonderful time!

I'll be another of your daily readers, and thank you so much for sharing this great adventure. It's not necessarily easy or convenient to post from a ship - and your willingness to do it is much appreciated. I look forward to reading all about this fantastic voyage!

One of the most exciting parts for us is the overland tours we've scheduled:

Vietnam and Cambodia (Angkor Wat), India (Madras, Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur), and Egypt (Luxor, Valley of the Kings, Aswan, Abu Simbel, and Cairo). We've also booked some great shore excursions, including climbing the bridge in Sydney, sailing on an America's Cup yacht in Auckland, and exploring the jungle by boat in Costa Rica.

John and Diane

Have a geat time. If there is anyway you India overland adventure can include it, I would dfinately go to Udaipur, our favoritte place in India.

John and Diane, I can only dream of such a trip, and I'm looking forward to your reports so much! It will be fun to live vicariously through you, you're very generous to take us along! Have a fantastic trip!!

Ahoy!

I look forward to the vicarious thrill of reading you upcoming posts.

Needless to say, your going to have a FABULOUS TIME!

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Happy New Year!

Bob:)

Have a wonderful, fabulous trip! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It's a trip we dream of.

Thank you all for your good wishes. We're really looking forward to writing about the things we see, the people we meet, and shipboard life. We won't be posting daily, but probably every few days. I hope that the "English teachers" bit doesn't get everyone's hopes up too high; we shall do our best.

Our first "official" entry will be from Ft. Lauderdale, probably next Wednesday or Thursday. We sail next Friday, so life is good!

Have a glorious grand voyage around the world! It's a journey I hope to make some day ... after I've retired. :) <sigh> Maybe I'll be on the 75th World Cruise? ;)

We also will look forward to your posts. It will allow us to vicariously visit places that we otherwise couldn't afford.

Greetimgs Diane and John,

Have a safe and memorable trip. We will see you in Istanbul!

Bon Voyage and enjoy the champagne....you will need it!

Bill & Mary Ann

One day my DH and I will be retired teachers. How wonderful to dream that we might be able to go on a world voyage then! In the mean while, I'm looking forward to hearing about your dream voyage. Thanks for being willing to share it with us still at home.