Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pennstategal

Which excursion on Grand Cayman,Land and Sea??

Trying to decide which tour to do on Zuiderdam, is the extra cost worth it for the semi-submarine? 2 adults, no kids going...

Land and Sea combination

semi-submarine, Governor's residence , sea turtle farm , "Hell," island's rum-cake centers $64 3 1/2 hours

or

HIghlights of Grand Cayman

Conch Shell House, the Governor's Residence, the Old Cayman Homestead and the Turtle Farm. "Hell", Tortuga rum factory

$34 2 hours

Who has done these? Any input?? Deciding between these two only, thanks, can't wait to see what you all think.

Pennstategal

Have you considered a Swimming with the Stingrays snorkeling tour with a private tour operator?

My dh and I will be in Grand Caymen next month and we have a tour scheduled with Soto's. The cost is $24pp. There are several private tour companies that come highly recommended, and can be found on the Ports of Call board. When will you be in GC?

Marie

Last time we were in Grand Caymans we did the Highlights tour of Grand Caymans, it was just OK. We have signed up for Nativeway's Swim with Stingrays for our March cruise. The cost is $25.00 We have never done this but they have been highly recommended on numerous boards.

Here is their website http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/index.html

They have been very helpful via email.

if you've never been to grand cayman before, the "must do" thing is swimming with the stingrays.

i would highly recommend it. i am not a beach or water person, but i did this excursion because of all the recommendations by other cc'ers and it was well worth it. in fact it was the highlight of our cruise.

there are numerous private tour operators like nativeway (who we went with), captain soto's and captain bryan's that are all better and cheaper than the cruise lines. with these tour operators there's no worrying about not making it back to the ship on time. i really think you should look into one of these tours.

STINGRAY CITY!!

Have done it - loved it!!

If you go through Nativeway (on line) - you should be able to also do the turtle farm and HELL!!

And it only costs $40 US too! :)

...... Land and Sea combination or Highlights of Grand Cayman

Deciding between these two only, thanks, ..... Pennstategal

Since you ONLY want opinions on these two, "Land and Sea" gets my vote. My aunt and uncle did this one and had a great time! They loved the semi-sub ... said it was like when they use to snorkel :D except they saw more fish on the semi-sub than they ever did snorkeling! (My aunt took lots of pictures of a big variety of fish on the semi-sub which she as insisted on showing me many, many times. :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps a little. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Stingray City is a "must" with Grand Caymen. I am scard of the creatures myself. I have been out there and they cause me to use words like ''shuks","darn" and "fiddlesticks." However, I would not go to Grand Caymen and not take in STINGRAY CITY.

Himself

Since you ONLY want opinions on these two, "Land and Sea" gets my vote. My aunt and uncle did this one and had a great time! They loved the semi-sub ... said it was like when they use to snorkel :D except they saw more fish on the semi-sub than they ever did snorkeling! (My aunt took lots of pictures of a big variety of fish on the semi-sub which she as insisted on showing me many, many times. :rolleyes: )

I agree. I did this tour as well and enjoyed it thoroughly. The semi-submersible was incredible, especially when the operator puts on the SNUBA gear and goes down to feed the fish. This gives you a great visual of all the fish congregating at the windows and some great photo ops.

The land portion of the tour provided stops at the rum factory, hell, and the turtle farm, with stays long enough to see everything and make purchases.

For the price, I found this tour to be a good value.

Blue skies ...

--rita