Adieu Royal Caribbean?

pre4rep

Ok, its cool to poke fun at some of the negative comments such as the post about the stewards having dinner.

...snip...

My wife likes to say that airline travel is the only thing that has not improved in over 40 years (its actually gone backwards), but some of the cruise lines seemed to be determined to follow in the airline tradition. Wonder how long it will be until RCI charges for peanuts?

Hank

Hank

Hank Hank....

Great post!

But even with the small changes this is still by far the most economical way we could have EVER visited 6 countries in 9 days......

We paid $899.00 per person for the largest balcony cabin for 9 nights.

We have stayed in many 5 star hotels and eaten at many 5 star restaurants and have never EVER done it for $ 100.00 per day per person...... just not gonna happen.

So - bottom line we feel it is still one of the best "BANG FOR THE BUCKS" we can get. /quote]

I agree.

August 2007

Weekend at Four Season's Chicago room was $ 625.00 per night plus taxes-

this was not a suite either (yes, I live in the suburbs but wanted a

weekend away downtown)

Breakfast-Saturday morning we had room service. Breakfast cost $85.00- On Sunday morning, the brunch buffet was $ 60.00 a person.

Lunch on average was $ 50.00 with one drink

Dinner on average was $150.00 with a couple drinks

DH and I are well traveled and IMO a 5 star land or sea vacation still costs quite a bit more than a cruise on RCI. If I want a 5 star cruise...I will have to try Crystal or one of the other lines.

If anyone can get a 5 star vacation for less than a cruise...please let me know how since I must be overpaying;)

Back when RCL and Celebrity combined our TA said it was just a matter of time before Royal Caribbean slide down a little. Her reasoning was Royal Caribbean and Celebrity were to much a like and going after the same market. She figured that Royal Caribbean would go after the Carnival market and Celebrity the higher end market.

I just wished I had asked her for some Stock Market advise at that time.:)

I think it is absolutely fair for anyone to comment honestly in regard to their experience, opinion, and thoughts on future use of a particular cruise line due to that experience - whether it's negative or positive. I do wonder why someone who has cruised 60 times would base a change on comparison of just one cruise against one other. Also, I think those who feel the line deserves another chance when someone comments on a negative experience and desire to go elsewhere would be better served to accentuate the positives of that line and their experiences to convince the poster to stay onboard with that line (pun intended). Telling them bye-bye, etc., seems pretty childish. I don't have a lot of posts on here but have been reading for quite some time and have received some great help on most of my questions, but I have noticed a definitive difference in the tone of the boards overall. There seems to be a lot more of an "if you don't like, then leave" attitude when people have a less than positive view, experience, or question with regard to a particular cruise line or port of call, etc. I hope this board will not continue down that road - as I said, it has historically been one of the most helpful boards I've ever posted on.

I never realized they give you peanuts anywhere else than in the shops onboard where you have to pay for them.

Yes they do !!!! The Schooner Lounge has the best trail mix I have ever tasted......FREE. They bring you a fairly large glass full with your drink order. At least they did every time we were in there a few weeks ago :)

Yes they do !!!! The Schooner Lounge has the best trail mix I have ever tasted......FREE. They bring you a fairly large glass full with your drink order. At least they did every time we were in there a few weeks ago :)

Well no wonder I missed that as I rarely frequent the bars onboard. Not a big drinker.

But if it comes with your drink order I´m not sure if it could be really considered being free;)

There seems to be a lot more of an "if you don't like, then leave" attitude when people have a less than positive view, experience, or question with regard to a particular cruise line or port of call, etc. I hope this board will not continue down that road - as I said, it has historically been one of the most helpful boards I've ever posted on.

Well, I think when someone titles their post "Adieu Royal Caribbean" this is what you can expect. Basically they have already made up their mind that RCI is no longer for them. That is perfectly fine, but is it necessary to make a grand announcement about it, and is there really anything left to say to the OP? They have already made up their mind. After 60 cruises on RCI I think they know the cruise line pretty well. In this case I think it's absolutely fine to say "move on" and good luck with your next line.

I never can quite figure out why some people continue to post about how horrible Royal Caribbean is, yet they continue to frequent this board and even sail on the line ... then post every negative aspect of the cruise they can think of. Seems counter productive. On the other hand you have the Royal Caribbean cheerleaders who feel the line can do no wrong. Both are extremes and unfortunately we get a lot of that on CC. The vast majority of cruisers (on any line) have a decent time, and while everything is not perfect, they roll with the punches. These are the people we don't hear from very often. I guess that wouldn't be very exciting now would it? ;)

Ernie

I agree with Dee about tables for those who need to be at them - but Randy and Joyce were right smack beside the door in the tiny dining room - where all the traffic went back and forth.

Fran in Toronto

Then who would we be seated with? Only others who are disabled?

On our last cruise folks chose to change to our table for 6 from tables of 12 well situated in the center of the room or near a window. We had table 521, second floor of the dining room, near the entrance and service station. In spite of this we had a blast each meal. Great conversations, great service.......................great dinner mates. None were handlicapped except my DH..................never seemed to matter to them the location of the table..................just who was sitting with them. Their presence at dinner made for great laughs and great on-going reviews of what was served. They were both diamond plus..................we laughed when one night fried chicken was on the menu - you know kfc...didn't matter to us...............food is only a small part of the experience. Sure we'd love lobster and shrimp each night, but we've lived long enough to know things change. We'll keep crusing................and always pick a ship based on the itinerary..........and cost.

I hear ya eroller. I think in general we are like-minded on this subject. But the OP did post the title with a question mark and didn't really make a grand announcement about leaving. They noted that they've cruised on both, made a comparison, and said that their choice of favorite looks to be changing based on their most recent experience. It's also fine for people to agree that it's time to move on to another line and wish them good luck on the other line - if it's genuine. The sarcastic responses were uncalled for, IMHO, as the OP did not seem to bash RCI or its passengers, which might justify an in-kind response.

Well no wonder I missed that as I rarely frequent the bars onboard. Not a big drinker.

But if it comes with your drink order I´m not sure if it could be really considered being free;)

My son (19 years old) loved the trail mix and would go to the Schooner bar on the Serenade and ask for it in the afternoon and get a glass of water (regular tap) and they would bring it to him with a big smile. It got to the point when they saw him coming they would just bring it to him. He thought it was the best thing around.

I agree with Dee about tables for those who need to be at them - but Randy and Joyce were right smack beside the door in the tiny dining room - where all the traffic went back and forth.

Fran in Toronto

Then who would we be seated with? Only others who are disabled?

On our last cruise folks chose to change to our table for 6 from tables of 12 well situated in the center of the room or near a window. We had table 521, second floor of the dining room, near the entrance and service station. In spite of this we had a blast each meal. Great conversations, great service.......................great dinner mates. None were handlicapped except my DH..................never seemed to matter to them the location of the table..................just who was sitting with them. Their presence at dinner made for great laughs and great on-going reviews of what was served. They were both diamond plus..................we laughed when one night fried chicken was on the menu - you know kfc...didn't matter to us...............food is only a small part of the experience. Sure we'd love lobster and shrimp each night, but we've lived long enough to know things change. We'll keep crusing................and always pick a ship based on the itinerary..........and cost.

Dee, I know that worked well for you - not commenting on that. You had to see where Joyce and Randy were to know what I meant. Plus they were a table for two....if I cruise with them again I am going to INSIST they sit with us....:D:D:D I agree with you - half the experience is the people you eat with and the laughs at the table. I could not believe how lucky we were to have ten people at the table who all got along so well -

Now, next time you and Walt and Norio and I cruise together, we will also eat together. I guarantee you won't stop laughing, honey...

Fran

Dee, I know that worked well for you - not commenting on that. You had to see where Joyce and Randy were to know what I meant. Plus they were a table for two....if I cruise with them again I am going to INSIST they sit with us....:D:D:D I agree with you - half the experience is the people you eat with and the laughs at the table. I could not believe how lucky we were to have ten people at the table who all got along so well -

Now, next time you and Walt and Norio and I cruise together, we will also eat together. I guarantee you won't stop laughing, honey...

Fran

Didn't know they had a table for 2 in that spot............ouch!!!! No wonder they had problems with the dining room. Will take you and Norio up on our next cruise together....................we'll probably have to change our pants each night from all that hooting...........:D

Fran

Didn't know they had a table for 2 in that spot............ouch!!!! No wonder they had problems with the dining room. Will take you and Norio up on our next cruise together....................we'll probably have to change our pants each night from all that hooting...........:D

It was right beside the door on Deck 4, in the little itty bitty room, next to the Centrum, and opposite the servers station - everyone who came in and out almost tripped over the table.

Yes, take changes along :D You and me at a dinner table together????? I can hear your laugh in my head anyway....

Makes me laugh just thinking about it.....

Fran

DW and I are low deck inside roomers, don't claim educated or sensitive palates, prefer beer to wine, and are far from D+ status. Here's our view of all this from the cheap seats:

A cruise is indeed a fine value. The mass marketing aspect means a wider variety of folks aboard, many of whom are non-traditional cruisers. We like RCCL. We've gotten nothing but good service and good dining room meals on our two cruises. In fact, our last was better than the first - both were excellent (aboard that "awful" Grandeur, too!). And we may try Carnival, Norwegian, or another. Why not? Sometimes we use Hunts instead of Heinz, too. Call us disloyal! :eek:

Archived