Question re: Raffling a Penthouse Suite

Golfgrl1911

The only cabin left on the Sept. 25 sailing of the "Z" is the Penthouse Suite. Would it be possible for HAL to sell raffle tickets at $10.00 a piece to upgrade some lucky couple to that cabin after the first night? I personally think that they would more than make up the cost of that room in sales of tickets alone........and give someone the cruise of a lifetime!! I'd buy a few tickets!! What the Hay! Just wanted some opinions. Nancy:cool:

Please! Don't give the beancounters any big ideas.

As of now at least a few people can get an upgrade when HAL re-sells the lower priced cabins.

With this idea instead of upgrades HAL would be selling raffle tickets while we stand in the check-in line!

Aughhhhhhhh!

Ruth, there's1 room on the whole bloody ship left!! It's the Penthouse!!

I say raffle away baby!!!! If there were more rooms then I wouldn't suggest it. Don't they raffle a free cruise?? Why not this? I think it would be quite exciting for someone to win the penthouse for a week. HAL can take what the cost of the cabin would have been for two people in the sales of the raffle tickets and then throw the rest in the Bingo jackpot (that could be exciting not to mention lucrative as well).

I personally would not feel so great sharing the PS with another couple.....

The bedroom with the curtain pulled across provides 'visual' privacy but the other couple certainly can 'hear' all conversation.

The couple that ends up on the couch in the living room has no privacy at all.

The master bath would have to be shared although there is the other half bath.

Of course, that big closet would accomodate everyone's clothes for a one week/ten day cruise.

I like my privacy too much......doesn't sound like fun to me.

But, we sure did enjoy that huge cabin. DH particularly enjoyed the dining room table. We never had breakfast on the veranda as we always do in the "S". He was so much more comfortable in the dining room.

I thought about the 'idea' a bit more and agree that for four women traveling together, the PS could work very well as long as they don't mind sharing king/queen beds. I think they would enjoy the cabin together.

Usually when the penthouse is still available 2 weeks before the cruise, HAL will e-mail the news to TA's who have booked passengers in suites and will quote a price to upgrade. For our Orinoco cruise, there were 2 penthouse suites left on the Rotterdam one week before the cruise. Our TA got the e-mail and she called us with HAL's offer. I gave a counter offer and HAL excepted. Thus we ended up in the penthouse suite for 16 days.

I like that idea myself knowing that I will not be able to afford a PS anytime soon.

I think this kind of promotion might anger some pax, say someone from a Suite pays the $10 for the raffle ticket and wins, going from an S to a PS isn't *that* big of an upgrade. It might annoy the people who entered who were in inside cabins who couldn't even afford an verandah room. They might think that the whole thing was unfair and that they deserved it more.

I can't afford the PH either but sure would like to cruise in it for a week!

If a S cabin got the PH in the raffle it would leave the S for someone else that wanted to move up - it is a chain reaction kind of deal.

THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE between the cost of an S and the PH.

Although the suite is nice it's the cruise experience that counts along with the people you meet.

Ruth, there's1 room on the whole bloody ship left!! It's the Penthouse!!...
On this ship, for this sailing.

And if a raffle were successful the beancounters could get the bright idea to do this for every cabin on every sailing.

Oh! I can see it now! At check-in a raffle is held for one (or more!) penthouse suites that are empty. Someone in a suite or veranda cabin "wins" the raffle, thereby vacating another desireable cabin.

So, another raffle is held. This time someone in an outside wins and moves up a notch. Now, I'm in an inside K-cat and think the outside is more desireable. Is another raffle to be held?

Is my former K-cat perceived as "better" to someone on a lower deck, very far forward?

How many raffles should be held before we can all board this ship? (And I don't even want to think about getting the luggage delivered correctly!)

No-o-o-o-o-o-o!

So basically if an auto dealership were raffling off a Cadillac Escalade then the only people who could enter the raffle or win it would be people who own Cadillacs or Lincolns........forget about the guy who owns the Ford Festiva or the Hyundai Accent.....is this what's being said?.....Who cares what category of the ship you bought ......it's a chance!! It was just a silly idea anyhow......sounded like fun.....And I doubt seriously that Holland America is going to take this idea that a simple Corporate Executive Chef came up with and run with it........and what's with this "beancounter" thing anyway? We ALL work for someone who's trying to make a profit....... If this is all some people have to rip apart and get excited about......awwwwww just forget it! Some fun this was:(

I was on the RCCL Legend of the Seas in April. The Penthouse Suite was empty. It was offered in a special Bingo Game as the prize. The couple who won got the suite for the rest of the cruise.

That's what I'm talking about Anjan.......It probably made someones trip even more exciting and special!! I personally would be happy for them!! I would not care if they bought the lowest category on the ship and I had a suite. They won fair and square..........all of our money is the same color.

Archived