boquer

size of wine bottles brought onboard

hello out there. does anybody know if there is a limit or rule as to what size of wine bottles are allowed to be brought on board as part of the two bottle per person limit? i'm asking this because i remember on a former cruise our tablemates had a large bottle of wine which they used nightly. i'm sure they paid the corking fee but still it's a lot more economical to pay one corking fee than two or three. thanks.

Thinking of bringing a Jeroboam on board are you? I was curious about the same thing--also does anyone know how closely the inspect your luggage to see if you are bringing 2 bottles per room (versus 2 bottles per person)???

We've have brought 2 bottles per person, onboard. We usually pack it into our carry-on luggage. We do get into separate lines, when boarding, so it's never been an issue.

Brought 6 onboard on our last cruise less than a month ago in our checked baggage and all arrived safe and sound. Asked for a cork screw and was drinking my favourite stuff before we ever left the pier. They did however take any spirits we bought ashore from us and returned them the last night of the cruise in plenty of time for packing. I have never had an issue with wine and know lots who have never had an issue with anything in their checked baggage.

We brought two of the larger size bottles on our Oct cruise on Constellation. I don't remember the size but they were not the standard size. They are widely avail at stores. I think they were the 1.75 liter? We had them packed in our carry-on and no-one even saw them unless they showed up on the xray machine. The funny thing is that the xray machine operators work for the port not Celebrity. I got the impression that I could have had more if I wanted. They did not even say anything when they saw my partner's travel iron. I know they saw the iron since they searched his bag based on it showing up. They saw the iron and then did nothing!

Please forgive me, but....

Whenever I read a thread that bemoans the lower standards and loss of elegance in modern cruising, I am going to remember the question of how big a bottle of wine can you bring on board to avoid multiple corking charges.

I think that it's really just like Franklin said about government: everyone gets the cruise they deserve!

We brought on 2 bottles of l.5 liters with no problem. And for the OP who is criticizing the cost-saving efforts of some with regard to corkage fees, I believe when Celebrity has the gall to charge a $25 corkage fee as they just did on the Summit, you'd have to be a moron not to be concerned.:eek: And, by the way, because we do tip very generously, we were never charged the corkage fee.:p

We brought the two bottles for the cabin only. We like to have a few glasses while getting ready for dinner. We were on a 13 night so the two larger bottles were not to save corkage fees. In fact, we had a bottle in the dining room every night of the cruise and half way through, our sommieler (SP?) started bringing us Reidel glasses instead of their standard glass. The special glasses really do make a difference. Take the seminar if you get the chance. The $79 charge is worth it since you get the set of glasses for home. If you bought the glasses at the store, you would pay more.

We brought on 2 bottles of l.5 liters with no problem. And for the OP who is criticizing the cost-saving efforts of some with regard to corkage fees, I believe when Celebrity has the gall to charge a $25 corkage fee as they just did on the Summit, you'd have to be a moron not to be concerned.:eek: And, by the way, because we do tip very generously, we were never charged the corkage fee.:p

How do you tip if there's no bill presented? Or do you give the sommelier a tip at the start of the cruise? I ask because we, too, tip the sommelier well but usually don't bring our wine to dinner so haven't faced the corkage fees. With a limit of 2 bottles per cabin we reserve ours for afternoon/getting dressed drinks on the balcony.

Boy, I wish I were on a cruise now!

Brought a 4 litre tetra pack on board last time.

Well, it was a long cruise!

(no problems, though)

Re the comment about Celebrity having the "gall" to charge a $25 corkage fee...and how one would be a "moron" not to be concerned (and, by implication, try to find some way to avoid the galling charge)....

When a recognition that folks run business to make a profit and that you get to choose what businesses you patronize, but by patronizing them you implicitly accept their rules and their charges is moronic behavior, then there's something very, very seriously wrong with society.

Not following the rules, not accepting the conditions of whatever behavior you're engaging in, is the behavior of boors and thugs.

I know many will say that I'm taking the wine-sneaking thing way too seriously, but where does one draw the line between acceptable larceny and the subtle destruction of the social order?

Funnily enough, the same folks who so philosophically defend their cheating attitudes are probably the same ones who think that young people are driving us to hell in a handbasket. Robert Burns said it best:

You know, the line about seeing ourselves as others see us.

We wheeled a case onboard as part of our carry on luggage last October. We took every bottle to the dining room and paid corkage on each bottle. It was worth it for us as most of the wines were at least 10 years old, including some gems from our cellar. We weren't trying to save $$$, we were trying to drink better stuff than what they offer on the ship.

when the Celebrity policy states that you are allowed to bring in one bottle per person for use in your cabin (and the policy doesn't specify size).

We brought four bottles on to the MIllie in December. We did not take any bottles to dinner. The wine list on X is actually pretty good. We had the Argentinian Melbac, a Cabernet from Chile, and Chateauneuf de Pape, all reasonably priced and quite drinkable.:)