Sign in to follow this  
chaz cruiser

More arrests off the Dawn

Hi All,

Was just reading the Events at Sea website (http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html) and it reports two more arrests off the Dawn this week:

1. Jan 4 -Radio New Zealand reports French police in New Caledonia have deported an Australian citizen with a paedophile history who was on board the ship. The 43-year-old was arrested during a stopover in Noumea after police received information from their Australian federal counterparts, that the individual was a high risk repeat offender, and had served 18-months jail in New South Wales in 2004. At that time he was found guilty of disseminating paedophile pictures and indecent assault on minors. This brings to four the total of arrests of Australian citizens with a paedophile history since October last year.

2. Jan 5 - According to ABC News in Australia, French police were called to the ship during a stopover in Lifou Island, in New Caldedonai's Loyalty Islands group where they arrested an Australian man who allegedly raped a 46 year old New Zealander while she was sleeping in her cabin. The woman was found in a state of shock and and suffering bruises in the early hours of the morning of New Years day.

Not sure about the validity of the reports especially considering the current Dawn cruise was not scheduled to go to Lifou and was in Noumea (instead of Poum) on the 30th of Dec not 4th of Jan. Anybody onboard got some goss, sorry information, for us? If they are true the New Caledonian authorities have been very vigilant lately. Will be interesting to see if there is a response from P&O or Australian Customs & Police.

I'm just glad she is on her way to pick us up on Tuesday. Will have to keep an eye out for our "friends" from TT with all these "news reports", they are sure to be sniffing around...:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Charmain:)

The ABC news report on the rape case is here

It's possible that the report should say Pacific Star, which was scheduled to be at Lifou on New Year's Day.

Pacific Dawn was scheduduled to be at Champagne Bay on New Years Day.

why cant ppl behave in a manner which is to be responsible,because that ruins it for every one else.hope that this is true..if is it i hope that the the guy gets what he deserves.hopefully the truth will be out soon.cheers matt

This has just been posted on news.com.au

No arrests following cruise rape claim

January 06, 2008 02:43pm

NO arrests have been made following a claim an Australian man raped a New Zealand woman aboard a cruise ship in the Pacific, foreign affairs officials said today.

The claim was made by the New Zealand passenger.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said a 37-year-old NSW man had been accused of rape aboard the P&O Cruise ship the Pacific Star on New Year's Eve.

"The Australian High Commission in Port Vila (in Vanuatu) has been in touch with local authorities," a DFAT spokesman said.

"No Australian aboard the ship was arrested on arrival at Port Vila on January 1."

Radio Australia reported that French police had been called to the ship during a stopover at Lifou Island in New Caledonia's Loyalty Islands group.

The 46-year-old female tourist was found bruised and in a state of shock in the early hours of the morning, it was reported.

A P&O spokeswoman told AAP the company would not comment on the alleged rape but had ensured that French, Australian, New Zealand and New Caledonian police were aware of the allegation.

Thanks Teegiee..

Unusual for the ABC to get the facts wrong, but looks like they did in this situation.

No doubt TT or ACA will still pick up on it during the week.

Hey, was cruising around news.com.au [ got to love that site] and found this article.

Cruise rape-accused home without charge

From correspondents in Auckland

January 07, 2008 03:25pm

AN Australian man accused of raping a New Zealand woman aboard a P&O cruise liner in New Caledonia has reportedly returned home without being charged.

The 37-year-old man from Sydney had returned to Australia, according to media reports in New Zealand.

He had been accused of raping a 46-year-old woman who was found beaten and drunk on the Pacific Star cruise ship early on December 31.

She told police in New Caledonia she had been raped in the man's cabin while the ship was docked at Lifou Island but said she was too drunk to recall all the details, local sources said.

It is understood the Australian man said he had engaged in consensual sex with the woman.

Paedophile

In a separate incident, a convicted Australian pedophile who was aboard the Pacific Dawn cruise ship was deported from Vanuatu after being taken into custody on December 30.

His deportation came after Australian Federal Police (AFP) alerted local authorities.

An AFP spokeswoman said the organisation always alerted foreign countries if someone on the Australia'n sex offender register was heading their way.

"We just informed the ship's captain and also the New Caledonia authorities because if somebody is on that register it is our obligation to do that when they leave the country," she said.

The 43-year-old man, understood to have been convicted in 2004 for sex crimes and sentenced to 18 months' jail, was deported yesterday.

This is what has been reported in NZ about the alleged rape on the Pacific Star -

An international police investigation has been launched into the alleged rape of a New Zealand woman by an Australian while they were on a Pacific voyage on New Year's Eve.

Sandy Olsen, a spokeswoman for P & O Cruises, which owns the Pacific Star cruise ship, said the woman reported the alleged rape about 4am on New Year's Eve.

The ship was on an eight-day round trip cruise from Auckland and around the Pacific Islands. The alleged attack happened during a stopover in Lifou Island, near Noumea.

The ship's crew found the 46-year-old female tourist in a state of shock and suffering bruises in the early hours of the morning. The woman said a 37-year-old Australian passenger had raped her while she was sleeping in her cabin.

Ms Olsen said authorities on the liner immediately contacted French, New Zealand, Australian and British police – as the ship was registered in the United Kingdom. "We treat all allegations very seriously and we followed our protocols in these sorts of circumstances." She said the cabin was secured to preserve any evidence and support was arranged for the woman.

Ms Olsen said when the ship stopped at Noumea both passengers were given the opportunity to leave the ship, which they did. The ship arrived back in the country yesterday morning and has since left again on another cruise.

Just back from New Years Cruise on Pacific Dawn.

Not sure how much I can legally say on these forums but I know someone was taken off the ship at Noumea. We were meant to visit Divine Island, but instead were diverted to Noumea. No explanation was given onboard.

Pacific Dawn did not visit Lifou at all.

Not sure how much I can legally say on these forums but I know someone was taken off the ship at Noumea. We were meant to visit Divine Island, but instead were diverted to Noumea. No explanation was given onboard.

We had heard on SP that weather was too rough to tender there, but maybe Noumea was necessary to offload passengers.

Cheers

Geoff

Just heard from a friend who was on the New Year's cruise on the Dawn that the ship took a more easterly course than planned when it left Sydney so it could avoid the really rough weather east of Brisbane. They also travelled a bit slower so it was not too uncomfortable. As it was, about half of the passengers were sick on day 3. With factors in mind, they had to miss Emerald Bay which is at the northern tip of New Caledonia, and instead, went into Noumea.

My friends also say a man was taken off the ship in Noumea (for reasons others have given) and that four young men were put off in Vila for fighting on deck.

My friends had a great time, didn't personally see anything unpleasant happening, and are full of praise for the Dawn.:)

welcome back.

how was your new years eve party? ours was great.dont mean to change the topic but did you know that we [ the pacific sun] passed the Pacific Dawn on the night of new years day . Got pics at webshots. a little blury. cant wait to for your review.

Just heard from a friend who was on the New Year's cruise on the Dawn that the ship took a more easterly course than planned when it left Sydney so it could avoid the really rough weather east of Brisbane. They also travelled a bit slower so it was not too uncomfortable. As it was, about half of the passengers were sick on day 3. With factors in mind, they had to miss Emerald Bay which is at the northern tip of New Caledonia, and instead, went into Noumea.

My friends also say a man was taken off the ship in Noumea (for reasons others have given) and that four young men were put off in Vila for fighting on deck.

My friends had a great time, didn't personally see anything unpleasant happening, and are full of praise for the Dawn.:)

The captain did go slower than usual through the bad weather to make it more comfortable for the passengers.

My friend was a bit sea sick on Day 2 or 3, and had to get the needle from the Medical Centre. But she was never charged any medical fees. Perhaps they had quite a few sea sick passengers that they decided not to charge the fees?

Unfortunately, 12 passengers were put off the ship at Vila.

But all in all, securty was great and always there to stop any trouble.

Would definately recommend Pacific Dawn.

Hi Teegie,

Happy New Year!

No I didn't notice that we passed you guys. Would love to see photos!

Our New Years Party on deck was great. How was yours?

I will be sure to write a review as soon as I unpack!

Godd grief - sounds terrible. When we were on the Christmas Cruise on the Pacific Dawn, we spoke to a guy who was trying to chat up a girl who was flirting, and the kids security guard asked him to move on. The girl was apparently, over 16, but it was refreshing to know that the level of security was high for young people. I can only think that the New Zealand lady who was raped left her cabin door open, or gave someone the key, as the I can't imagine for one moment that any of the staff would have been involved. Ours were fantastic and very professional and discreet.

Don't let sort of thing put you off cruising. The trouble is there are hoons and yobbos everywhere, and if we think that just because people are on a cruise ship they are going to act like decent human beings, if they are hoons and yobbos on dry land. You only have to look at the behaviour of some football players and celebrities to know that loutish behaviour is alive and well.

Our cruise was fab in every way, and we didn't see any trouble.

Joanna:D

I dont understand what you mean? There is no law to say you cant tell people on a forum about an incident on a cruise especially if you dont name or identify a person that you have been ask not to by the authorities?

Den.