The challenge of message boards

Lithium

It is a big challenge for someone to read something you post in the same tone you are thinking it while you write the post. People will read your message with whatever tone they deem necessary. I think this leads to a lot of misunderstandings and offended people. There should be some sort of button that allows you to state your tone in typing a message so the reader can read it the way it was meant to be read, instead of the readers best guess.

You are soooo very correct. We conduct a conversation here but do not see the facial expression or body language. We don't hear the smile in someone's voice or the sarcasm or the anger or lack thereof.

There have been times I have written something that someone has interpreted very differently by what I wrote than they would have if we had been speaking to eachother in person.

Lithium is making a clear reference to his/her post on the thread "Doin' the Hurricane Hula" and my reaction to that post. I think if anyone reads the post they will wonder at its meaning. The intent of his/her post is clear on that thread and I am terribly angry about it. When I saw it I was blown away by the suggestion that anyone who had posted there was happy a hurricane was going to hit somewhere else and all they could think about was their cruise. That is not what the thread was about so I am completely confused by the post.

Starting up a new, innocent thread, Lithium, isn't going to let you off the hook. I guess I should be grateful that you were able to get me angry again ... at least it's a better emotion than fear and sadness.

It is a big challenge for someone to read something you post in the same tone you are thinking it while you write the post. People will read your message with whatever tone they deem necessary. I think this leads to a lot of misunderstandings and offended people. There should be some sort of button that allows you to state your tone in typing a message so the reader can read it the way it was meant to be read, instead of the readers best guess.
That's what all the smileys, to the right of the message box, are for.

<darn, the software won't let me list them all :( )

-dave

:D

Lithium is making a clear reference to his/her post on the thread "Doin' the Hurricane Hula" and my reaction to that post. I think if anyone reads the post they will wonder at its meaning. The intent of his/her post is clear on that thread and I am terribly angry about it. When I saw it I was blown away by the suggestion that anyone who had posted there was happy a hurricane was going to hit somewhere else and all they could think about was their cruise. That is not what the thread was about so I am completely confused by the post.

Starting up a new, innocent thread, Lithium, isn't going to let you off the hook. I guess I should be grateful that you were able to get me angry again ... at least it's a better emotion than fear and sadness.

<read with calm tone, non accusatory and apologetic>

Heather, I am sorry you feel this way. But I don't feel like I am on a hook or trying to get off. I think my post in the other thread has been misunderstood by you. This is probably my fault and I apologize again. I, in no way, would ever imply you are grateful for the hurricane to go somewhere else. My comment on the other thread was sarcastic, and in fact, I was backing up what you say.

The fact is, I posted this thread not to look innocent as you say.....I posted it because it was what I was thinking about at the moment I wrote it. And it struck me as a huge challenge. I just wanted an opinion on what others thought. :D

I think we all need to remember that 90% of all communication is non-verbal. Just reading the words is so difficult. And these words are typed. You don't even get to see a person's handwriting. We are all partially blind to one another.

It's best to give each other the benifit of the doubt.

Linda

I agree with the statement - have not read the post Heather is referring to so can't comment on that - but I do know I have offended people on these boards when my intention was clearly otherwise.

I have been sick this past week and have not checked in as frequently. I also felt bad about a question I posed to someone and it was completely taken the wrong way - and I was told "Jesus loves me"... well, I'm glad someone does, I guess - but it sort of rubbed me the wrong way a little bit. ;)

I think it is important to remember that while we may not always know someone else's intention, why automatically assume it's bad or negative? :)

I am going to try and keep this thought when I read and post - hopefully it will help.

I DID read his post. I DO live in SW Florida (10 miles from Charley "ground zero") and certainly have come to accept as INCONTROVERTIBLE FACT the following:

1. No one wants to be hit by one of these monsters.

2. Everyone under the gun is HAPPY AS HELL when the storm goes elsewhere (anywhere else!). To suggest anything to the contrary is pure sophistry.

3. Folks from "non-hurricane" areas (read the VAST majority of the US) must still come to FL to embark on many cruises.

4. It is only logical and certain that such people would, to one degree or another, feel "put off" if their cruise plans (eons in the making, if we are to believe many posters) are shattered by a 'cane.

5. So what's so important on this board that 22 linear feet of typing has been dedicated to these issues? The poor guy who got slammed for a post is now wondering how incredibly politically correct and oh-so-sensitive posts have to be here to not incur wrath. The lady who must live around here somewhere can't seem to let this go. In the final analysis, who cares?

P.S.: No icon(s) here...read (if you wish) what I wrote...and (if you must) reply.

............The lady who must live around here somewhere can't seem to let this go.
Calling me "the lady" who "lives around here somewhere" is insulting. You know my name and you know where I live because unlike you I don't post in anonymity.

Had you truly read all the posts, you would have seen that Lithium and I were completely over this a couple days ago.

So you're the one who is not letting this go. We're already on to much more important things.

That's what all the smileys, to the right of the message box, are for.

<darn, the software won't let me list them all :( )

-dave

Do a google for Smiley Central. There are 10,000 (!) without too much extraneous bs. And it has a 'search' feature! This is under 'buffet'.

7_12_6.gif

Lunch time. See ya'.

Lane

Archived