Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCAM

!st Time Pearl Questions

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this and responds with all of your useful information! Because I can use all the help I can get :D

~ Does anyone know what the internet rates are onboard? Per

minute/hour??

~ The best way to make dinner reservations, without conceirge help?

~ What ports were Tracphones and Nextel successful in? And were either

useable onboard?

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this and responds with all of your useful information! Because I can use all the help I can get :D

~ Does anyone know what the internet rates are onboard? Per

minute/hour?? 100 min for $55, They do have specials during the cruise mainly during port days.

~ The best way to make dinner reservations, without conceirge help?

Call the resturant early in the AM

~ What ports were Tracphones and Nextel successful in? And were either

useable onboard?

Had walkie talkies on the Pearl back in Nov 2007, they worked very poorly unless on pool deck. Not sure Nextel service.

Doug

Looks like you have mostof your questions answered. Our Tracfone did not work at all on board except when in ports where they can be used like San Juan, and The Virgin Islands. You should probably check out their website for a complete list of where they offer coverage. I never tried my Nextel phone, just because I don't want any unpleasant billing surprises. I was able to pick up a (free) wifi signal in Grand Cayman from my balcony while we were anchored and I placed several phone calls from my laptop on my Skype IP USB phone (for 2 cents a minute for calls from most other countries you can't beat it). But it did not work while connected to the ship's wifi. Probably because of the latency issues related to satellite internet. Hope that helps.

I used the Tracfone on the Pearl. Never tried to use it in the ports as somewhere on this board I read not to do that as Tracfone could disconnect your service.

I used the Tracfone every evening while out to see. A couple of nites when I turned it on it said for emergency use only, if you leave the phone on it will clear and you can make the call. Another problem was sometimes it said no service, again, you have to leave the phone on and it will connect to the service. I had 140 minutes on the phone, I was able to talk to my kids everynight and had 40 minutes left on the phone when we reached port.

I also had my Sprint phone bc I read that you could text from the ship, I could not do that either in port or at Sea. I did have the phone service upgraded to international before I left, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps. We were on the S. Carribean cruise.