Labadee Questions

I posted this on the disability board, but I'm not getting any responses, so I'm reposting here. Hopefully someone can help with answers.

We will be on an RCI cruise which tenders at Labadee, Haiti. My DH is in a power wheelchair and unable to transfer or walk. I would like to know if anyone has successfully tendered to Labadee while staying in a power wheelchair. Also, if it *is* possible for him to get to Labadee, I would also love suggestions of what we can do there. Getting onto the beach isn't an option, so besides the shopping...what (if anything) in Labadee is wheelchair accessible?

Thanks in advance,

Three Rings

I posted this on the disability board, but I'm not getting any responses, so I'm reposting here. Hopefully someone can help with answers.

We will be on an RCI cruise which tenders at Labadee, Haiti. My DH is in a power wheelchair and unable to transfer or walk. I would like to know if anyone has successfully tendered to Labadee while staying in a power wheelchair. Also, if it *is* possible for him to get to Labadee, I would also love suggestions of what we can do there. Getting onto the beach isn't an option, so besides the shopping...what (if anything) in Labadee is wheelchair accessible?

Thanks in advance,

Three Rings

We have seen a few people able to get to Labadee while in a wheelchair. Once on the island they were transferred to what looks like an all terrain wheelchair that they could push (although probably not easily) through the sand. Maybe someone else has experience on how easy the wheelchairs with the big balloon type wheels are to maneuver.

There is a beach, some shopping (flea market style) staffed by locals and a large barbecue lunch put on by the ship. There are jet skis, a couple of playgrounds for the kids and a zip line as well.

Other than that - and there may be more, just that I never saw it, its a good relaxing day.

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking for info about whether someone who cannot transfer or walk can get on and off the tenders and onto the island.

I've seen those beach wheelchairs, they look cool. Unfortunately, they're not suitable for my DH, who will have to stay in his own chair.

Do you recall if the lunch area was paved or not? Is the lunch area far from where you get off the tender?

The area is hard packed but I don't remember it being fully paved, though it could just have been sand covered. I believe if you stay on the paths that you shouldn't have an issue either at the bbq or shopping area. The inside of the no barter building has pretty wide aisles that could accommodate a chair but the other section had tighter confines but I am not sure is a chair would fit. There is an outdoor section also. On the tender we were on there was a platform on the tender where there were several people in chairs and then they wheeled off the ramp right on to the ramp on the pier area.

I have been to Labadee on both the FOS, and the Mariner of the Seas.

I have seen folks transfer from wheelchairs to a deck chair, and I saw a chair lifted onto the tender with the individual in it, and made secure to the deck. I haven't seen an electric chair on the tenders I have been on, but only have two cruises with Labadee stops. I would write to the cruise company and ask, as I believe that most of the folks answering the phone would not know. Hopefully someone who knows more than I will see your post and answer. Good luck and have a terrific cruise!!

Archived