Hubbard Glacier Alert

Yukon

If you're thinking about seeing Hubbard Glacier this year, a report issued on Wednesday says that you may not get near it because it's advancing so fast. See the Alaska Science Forum at http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF18/1890.htmlfor more details.

For independent travelers, what an incredible thing to see from the air!

Murray

If you're thinking about seeing Hubbard Glacier this year, a report issued on Wednesday says that you may not get near it because it's advancing so fast. See the Alaska Science Forum at http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF18/1890.htmlfor more details.

Murray

Murray I cannot open the thread. It seems there is an error.

marilyn

Murray

interesting to hear......I thought with "global warming" that all the glaciers were retreating.....:)

Whoops, sorry for not noticing the bad link (I was trying to do 3 things at once) :(

Most glaciers are retreating - Hubbard has been my favourite glacier because of it's fast advance and the resulting high level of calving. With this news, though, I'd be visiting Glacier Bay and/or College Fiord this year. The last time this happened ships didn't approach within several miles because of the "tsunami" that occurs when the ice dam (that may form again this year) breaks.

Murray

This is such sad news as I was so looking forward to seeing Hubbard. Sure hope the cruise lines are taking notice.

The cruise lines don't much care. The itineraries are set, the dam may not form, and most people will never see this information anyway. After all, the cruise lines sell Tracy Arm as a glacier viewing day.

Wow, do I feel lucky that we not only got to go there, but our captain literally got within a few hundred yards of it. It was something we will never forget.

The pictures we took, (like 100!) do not even do it justice!!

THanks for the info...

I've been to Hubbard sevearl times and it is impressive. I was there in Aug 2002 about 2 days after the last blockage had just broken open, we couldn't get very close as the water was still pouring out. It was amazing to see how fast the current was moving the ice, sure can't blame the Capt for not wanting to get too close.

Thanks for posting the link. I read the article and it's so fascinating. We are already booked on a May cruise, which includes Hubbard. I hope we get to see it.

You will see it, just may be miles away. You can see it from MANY miles off. Be sure to bring binoculars.

Overall, you don't get very close in May anyway.

Our last time at the Hubbard Glacier was in May 2005. The weather was amazing and we got closer to the glacier than we had been on our previous visits (which was unusual for May). When we left the captain actually sailed around Haenke Island which is the starboard island when you are viewing the glacier head on.

We are returning this June and will be there twice--only a day apart, but we're hoping for a great viewing. If not, I have more pictures of the Hubbard glacier than anyone really needs. (I do have a new camera that will take a three shot panoramic picture which I hope to use there.) In the meantime, I'll keep checking to see what the glacier is doing this year. I find it fascinating the way it recedes and advances each year.

this site has live feed of how close the glacier is to forming the dam. It is updated in real-time.

At least it will have in a few months. Now you get the message: "The glacier has retreated beyond the ranging limit of the laser unit (~1000m). Once the glacier terminus begins its seasonal advance in the spring ice data acqusition will resume."

At least it will have in a few months. Now you get the message: "The glacier has retreated beyond the ranging limit of the laser unit (~1000m). Once the glacier terminus begins its seasonal advance in the spring ice data acqusition will resume."

I'm not getting that message (or I could be looking in the wrong place, or misreading the data). When I click on "Real-Time Data" on the left navigation, I get a page that shows the glacier is 340 meters from Gilbert Point. It shows todays day, and the previous 4 days with no change in distance.

Am I not looking in the right place?

The cruise lines don't much care. The itineraries are set, the dam may not form, and most people will never see this information anyway. After all, the cruise lines sell Tracy Arm as a glacier viewing day.

Our cruise line, Regent, has a catamaran excursion that leaves from the ship, travels up Tracy Arm (supposedly to get close to the glaciers), then rejoins the ship dockside in Juneau. Is taking it a bad idea, or do you mean that the normal big ship run through Tracy Arm doesn't get close to the glaciers? The Mariner's cruise through Tracy Arm is not shown as a glacier day, but the catamaran cruise is so shown.

BTW, darrencantwait, the information about being beyond laser range is at the top of the page. 340 metres shows as a staright line, and the chart says that the data is not for public use in January.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived