Rum in San Juan or St Thomas

mikefang

I'm sure this has been asked before so please forgive me. Is it better to buy rum in San Juan or St Thomas? It's been a few years but better half remembers prices a little lower in San Juan right on the pier.

Both! You buy Bacardi in San Juan, Cruzan in St. Thomas, Rhum Saint James in Martinique, Callwood in Tortola, Busco in St. Martin, Denros in St. Lucia, Blackbeard's in Sint Maarten, Senset in St. Vincent, Westerhall in Grenada, Cavalier in Antiqua, Mount Gay in Barbados, Simmonet in Guadeloupe, Appleton in Jamaica, El Dorado in Guyana, Barbancourt in Haiti. i.e., when in Rome drink the Roman Rum (or something like that!). The exception, of course, is Willemstad where you drink the Curacao (orange or blue - your choice!)

:D

have you tried knob creek bourbon? about $35 a fifth here in michigan but I get it in St Thomas for something like $17. Prefer it over Makers, Turkey, Jack or Jim. haven't tried any of the other pricey ones and don't remember whether they had those in St Thomas or not.

Not that I wouldn't drink the others in a pinch *L* and certainly any of them over scotch. DW here is a scotch fan as well Glenfiddich

Best luck we've had - St. Thomas :)

Dave - best Tequila, Mexican Riviera - hands down! In Cabo, we got Cabo Wabo for a fraction - however, we've found the best Tequila's are not Sammy Hagar's... we've gotten some really great local blends that are not available here locally - those we appreciate! :D

have you tried knob creek bourbon? about $35 a fifth here in michigan but I get it in St Thomas for something like $17. Prefer it over Makers, Turkey, Jack or Jim. haven't tried any of the other pricey ones and don't remember whether they had those in St Thomas or not.

Not that I wouldn't drink the others in a pinch *L* and certainly any of them over scotch. DW here is a scotch fan as well Glenfiddich

I've tried Knob Creek, but I'm a died-in-the-wool Maker's Mark kind of guy. Actually, my wife is also but she does sip a Glenmorangie while I'm partaking of the Remy after dinner in the show lounge...

Cheers!

-dave

Dave - best Tequila, Mexican Riviera - hands down! In Cabo, we got Cabo Wabo for a fraction - however, we've found the best Tequila's are not Sammy Hagar's... we've gotten some really great local blends that are not available here locally - those we appreciate! :D

I think they all taste nasty, but there's a couple of restaurants in Mountain View, CA that we frequent - each has a multipage tequila list and DW is slowy working her way thru them to discover the best. That's dedication! :)

-dave

In addition to dakrewser's excellent list, I'd like to add Havana Club Rum, which can be found in non-US locations and is made in the old Bacardi distillery in Cuba. Also, although I like Appleton, the best rum in Jamaica is Myers.

Myers is good stuff, but I tend to use it mostly for cooking rather than mixing. Still, I wouldn't pass it up!

Havana Club, on the other hand, has mystique but I wasn't impressed with the taste.

-dave

Archived