Jack's Shack and Town Report

legalwife

Hi Everybody:

Back from cruise and offering quick opinion.

Got off ship and walked to left - through Margaritaville - keep walking -

You will come to first restaurant on beach and the fellow I spoke with was very nice and food on menu looked good as I recall, BUT we were determined to find Jack's Shack.

We kept walking for about a city block as another poster said and got there. It is before the pier that you will see, but about 3/4 way to it. Had beer, conch fritters and wings. Loved the conch fritters, but did not like the wings. They may have been better if we put more seasoning on them. The man who may have been "Jack" was very nice. Nothing fancy here, but perfect beach bar/restaurant. Tables with umbrellas on beach, can sit up on deck, can rent some beach/water equipment here. We stayed at table on beach for couple of hours and headed back.

We also took taxi into town. Hmmm.... We walked around a bit and that was it. Went in a couple of shops, but please don't go to town for the shops! Nothing there hardly. We looked inside the library and there appeared to be internet available for $3.00 for one/half hour. Did not use it though so that is all I know about it.

Grand Turk? Not at all my favorite port. Margaritaville is the main thing there that we saw. Of course, we did enjoy Jack's Shack. That was the highlight. Hop On Hop Off bus booth at port told me it was $45.00 to buy through them. If you can find an excursion you would like to do, I would definitely do it here.

I had wanted to find Jack's Shack, but we ended up doing the Horseback Ride & Swim. Again. Third time in three trips to GT.

It really is a blast and was even better this time.

2927079110102755439S200x200Q85.jpg

Since we were only there from 12-6, we went back to the ship to eat, then back to the beach for a swim. Was nice to watch the sun set from the beach.

Grand Turk isn't my favorite stop (I'd much rather go to HMC). I keep saying that, then I look at my pics and think "What is wrong with me? It's beautiful!"

2591074690102755439S200x200Q85.jpg

2525332180102755439S200x200Q85.jpg

We even had a full moon as we left port.

2305491290102755439S200x200Q85.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! Just got me wondering WHY I don't like GT more than I do. I mean, it is beautiful and relatively unspoiled.

Thanks to both of you for your input. Can you describe in more detail the horseback riding excursion? Is this a ship excursion? How long was it for? Where did you go to get on the horses? I see you riding in the surf - which is awesome! What else was part of the tour? THANKS

I imagine you could do a taxi, and it would probably only be about $6.00 each way, but you may just want to hang out at Margaritaville. There is really nothing to do at Jack's once you get there except sit and eat some of their fritters or wings and look at the beautiful ocean. If that is good for you, then that is what I would do in your situation.

Enjoy the relaxation!

• 1 year later...

We had a local cab driver tell us there was not much to do or see in town, cost him 4 fairs to and from town, his loss our gain. We put the money to good use at Jack's Shack for food and drink and we had a great time. Not over priced like Margaritaville and the service is much better. There were a few locals there but mainly crews off our ship and the Crown Princess that docked after us. The crew get a break off the posted prices, but they are there every week or so and keep coming back. That in itself says volumes. If there was a better place to go, they would have found it, but they already have...... Jack's Shack

Hi Everybody:

You will come to first restaurant on beach and the fellow I spoke with was very nice and food on menu looked good as I recall, BUT we were determined to find Jack's Shack.

We kept walking for about a city block as another poster said and got there. It is before the pier that you will see, but about 3/4 way to it. Had beer, conch fritters and wings. Loved the conch fritters, but did not like the wings. They may have been better if we put more seasoning on them. The man who may have been "Jack" was very nice. Nothing fancy here, but perfect beach bar/restaurant. Tables with umbrellas on beach, can sit up on deck, can rent some beach/water equipment here. We stayed at table on beach for couple of hours and headed back.

We also took taxi into town. Hmmm.... We walked around a bit and that was it. Went in a couple of shops, but please don't go to town for the shops! Nothing there hardly. We looked inside the library and there appeared to be internet available for $3.00 for one/half hour. Did not use it though so that is all I know about it.

Grand Turk? Not at all my favorite port. Margaritaville is the main thing there that we saw. Of course, we did enjoy Jack's Shack. That was the highlight. Hop On Hop Off bus booth at port told me it was $45.00 to buy through them. If you can find an excursion you would like to do, I would definitely do it here.

Hi Everybody:

Not sure what bar you might have gone to, but Jacks does not serve conch fritters or wings.... his menu is hamburgers and hot dogs/ chips and peanuts. The burgers and dogs are great and the drinks are cold and cheap. As one other poster stated, the ships crew hangs out there which says a lot about Jack and Janet. They are great hosts. If you want a loud and noisy place, go somewhere else. If you want a quiet spot on the beach with good food and drinks at good prices and great hosts, then go to Jacks.

Not sure what bar you might have gone to, but Jacks does not serve conch fritters or wings.... his menu is hamburgers and hot dogs/ chips and peanuts. The burgers and dogs are great and the drinks are cold and cheap. As one other poster stated, the ships crew hangs out there which says a lot about Jack and Janet. They are great hosts. If you want a loud and noisy place, go somewhere else. If you want a quiet spot on the beach with good food and drinks at good prices and great hosts, then go to Jacks.

Sorry but I know where we went. They did, back in January 2008 serve conch fritters and wings as we ate them. The wings were prepared outside on a separate cook area and may have been a side venture at the time.

Wish I was there right now.

How is the beach/snorkeling near Jack's Shack?

We sat at the tables on the beach, but did not snorkel. Maybe someone who has been there really recently can comment on that? The atmosphere and beach view was certainly nice.

Just returned from GT last week. The town, really the entire island remains in tough shape BUT what a gorgeous place. I would encourage folks to get away from the cruise center. We ducked into a cab which took us "downtown". Not much to it but many lovely, historic homes and inns line the narrow street. We walked down to BOHIO Resort and had cold beer, great food, and seemingly miles of beach to ourselves! Look around, and see how some folks are still surviving. Reality is both tough and beautiful.

• 3 months later...
I plan on going to Jack's Shack. Unfortunately, as my in-laws will be with us and sometimes can't walk well at all, is it possible to take a taxi and get dropped off there?

You can get a taxi to drop you off at Jack's Shack. It is located less than 1/2 mile up the road from the cruise pier.

Jack's Shack is the only place to go on Grand Turk!

Take a left at the end of the cruise dock and follow the sand about 1/2 mile. You can't miss it. Jack and Janet are two of the most down-to-earth people you would ever want to meet, and they make darn good drinks.

Jack consented to my posting a few pictures along with my commentary.

PIC_5149.jpg.9c50ee60d5a5fa81c009d1a1a6abbc81.jpg

PIC_5164.jpg.2128c2b3a135a87c0f055c0eb54ee50d.jpg

Is there any shade around Jack's for those of us who don't tolerate lots of sun?

I was wondering the same thing. One of the posters did mention tables with umbrellas on the beach, so it sounds like you'd at least get some shade from the umbrellas.

• 1 month later...

We were just there last week. Do yourself a favor and bypass the Margaritaville madness in place of Jack's. Fabulous drinks at reasonable prices in a quiet atmosphere. The only menu items were burgers, dogs, italian sausage, and jerk chicken (highly recommended). They do have some tables with umbrellas. There is a bit of a thatched roof over the bar area. If you get too hot, just take a dip in the water. The beach and water area is fabulous; no rocks like the beach near the cruise ship. We did the Reef and Rays excursion then ended up at Jack's. While there, the videographer from the excursion showed up. You know you're in the right place when the locals show up.

We were just there last week. Do yourself a favor and bypass the Margaritaville madness in place of Jack's. Fabulous drinks at reasonable prices in a quiet atmosphere. The only menu items were burgers, dogs, italian sausage, and jerk chicken (highly recommended). They do have some tables with umbrellas. There is a bit of a thatched roof over the bar area. If you get too hot, just take a dip in the water. The beach and water area is fabulous; no rocks like the beach near the cruise ship. We did the Reef and Rays excursion then ended up at Jack's. While there, the videographer from the excursion showed up. You know you're in the right place when the locals show up.

I'm guessing you did the earliest Reef & Rays excursion to make sure you had enough time for Jack's? We were thinking of doing the same thing. How much time did you end up spending there? Also, did you like the excursion?

Yes, we did the early Reefs & Rays. I highly recommend it. Excellent crew. They first take you out to a reef for the snorkeling. Then you go over to Gibbs Cay for the Rays portion. You get plenty of time in the water with the rays, which are wild and not penned in like other places. There is some time afterwards for beach combing. We found a beautiful conch shell. I think you get back to the ship area around 10:15. My wife and kids hung out at that beach while I returned our fins to the ship. We didn't get down to Jack's until ~11:30. If we had it to do over, I would have gone directly there. We stayed until 2PM. You should definitely do the early excursion. That gives you plenty of time afterwards, since the ship leaves at 3PM.

Yes, we did the early Reefs & Rays. I highly recommend it. Excellent crew. They first take you out to a reef for the snorkeling. Then you go over to Gibbs Cay for the Rays portion. You get plenty of time in the water with the rays, which are wild and not penned in like other places. There is some time afterwards for beach combing. We found a beautiful conch shell. I think you get back to the ship area around 10:15. My wife and kids hung out at that beach while I returned our fins to the ship. We didn't get down to Jack's until ~11:30. If we had it to do over, I would have gone directly there. We stayed until 2PM. You should definitely do the early excursion. That gives you plenty of time afterwards, since the ship leaves at 3PM.

I think that's exactly what we'll do. Thanks for your help! :D

Archived