Hurricane Jeanne Information and Questions

Host Mike

Posted on Port Canaveral's website after their evacuation meeting this afternoon:

3:30 p.m. Wednesday, September 23rd 2004.

The Canaveral Port Authority continues to monitor the progress and movements of Hurricane Jeanne and its potential threat to Port Canaveral and all of Brevard County. Preparations are under way in accordance with our Hurricane Plan, which can be accessed online at www.portcanaveral.org/news/hurricane.htm. Tenants are urged to begin their preparations now.

Passengers embarking on cruises from Port Canaveral should contact your respective cruise line for news and information regarding your particular sailing.

I am not sure what forecast one of the posters was looking at. Here is what www.accuweather is currently saying:

As of 2 PM EDT, Hurricane Jeanne was centered at 25.6 north, 69.7 west, or about 465 miles east of Great Abaco Island. Maximum sustained winds are 105 mph. The estimated central pressure is 966 millibars (28.53 inches). The storm is beginning its westward trek as the upper level ridge is now building over top of the storm over the western Atlantic. A westerly track is foreseen for the next couple of days. Over the weekend we then expect Jeanne to make a northward turn. The question is still, how far west does the hurricane get, before it makes that northward turn? Our current thinking is that Jeanne makes a run at the east coast of Florida later Saturday and Saturday night, then turns north over Florida. As Jeanne moves west, the waters are somewhat warmer, and the upper-level pattern favors some strengthening. Currently, a tropical storm watch is in effect for the Central Bahamas.

Here is what the National Hurricane Center is saying:

Hurricane JEANNE

Home Public Advisory Forecast/Advisory Discussion Probabilities Maps/Charts Archive

UPDATE 000WTNT31 KNHC 232028TCPAT1BULLETINHURRICANE JEANNE ADVISORY NUMBER 41NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL5 PM EDT THU SEP 23 2004...JEANNE MOVING A LITTLE FASTER TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST......EXPECTED TO TURN WESTWARD BY FRIDAY... A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTHWEST BAHAMAS. AHURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE INTHE WATCH AREA WITHIN 36 HOURS. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS...INCLUDING CAT ISLAND...THE EXUMAS...LONG ISLAND...RUM CAY...ANDSAN SALVADOR. INTERESTS ON THE FLORIDA PENINSULA SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THEPROGRESS OF JEANNE. AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JEANNE WAS LOCATEDNEAR LATITUDE 25.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 70.3 WEST OR ABOUT 425MILES... 680 KM...EAST OF GREAT ABACO ISLAND. JEANNE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR. AGRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE WEST AT A SLIGHTLY FASTER FORWARD SPEED ISEXPECTED TO OCCUR LATER TONIGHT OR FRIDAY. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 105 MPH...165 KM/HR...WITH HIGHERGUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND JEANNE COULD BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE ON FRIDAY. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES... 75 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UPTO 140 MILES...220 KM. THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 966 MB...28.53 INCHES. DANGEROUS SURF AND RIP CURRENTS...CAUSED BY LARGE SWELLS GENERATEDBY HURRICANE JEANNE...ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S.COAST AND THE NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS. REPEATING THE 5 PM EDT POSITION...25.9 N... 70.3 W. MOVEMENTTOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINEDWINDS...105 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 966 MB. FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITORPRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE. AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONALHURRICANE CENTER AT 8 PM EDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXTCOMPLETE ADVISORY AT 11 PM EDT. FORECASTER STEWART:mad: What the heck...have a hurricane party and make the best of it!!Good luck to all of you...I hope is speeds up and makes a quick right turn.

Off the CNN web site on 9/23 at 3:07 EDT: "Potentially more dangerous is Hurricane Jeanne, now with 105 mph sustained winds as it churns slowly toward the Bahamas. The hurricane center predicts Jeanne will hit Florida's east coast late Sunday or early Monday, possibly as a Category 3 major storm"

Since the arrival of Jeanne seems to have been pushed out a little bit, be aware that they have been known to leave EARLY to protect their ships...I wonder if we might see a re-run of the scenario a little while back when the ship left around 1:00? Don't remember the exact time; maybe one of you do. Good luck!

Port Canaveral has been ordered evacuated beginning Friday at 7AM, with evacs to be complet by 10AAM Sat. After that time, there will be no ships in port, and none will be allowed in.

Port Everglades issued this news earlier today:

http://lsta.broward.org/portemrg/viewscreen.asp?MessageID=76

Interesting reading, as it details when they will take which actions, on what circumstances will prompt each action... from loose object tie-down all the way to evacuation and closure of the port.

It probably follows standard maritime procedures, I would think.

Yep' date=' Flamingosun, the models I've seen don't bode well for Miami sailings . . . such as mine. Sigh.

I hesitate to even ask such a selfish question, when sooooooo much more is at risk than just my honeymoon . . . but does anybody know if there are ports other than the Bahamas that we could visit on a 3-day cruise? (Majesty 9-24 sailing) Or are we likely to have a cruise to nowhere?[/quote']

They are suggesting Key West

I hate not knowing! AGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!!!! This is getting to me. I wish we could slip a mickey into Jeanne's eye (MOUTH) and put her to sleep! Wishful thinking! I hope she changes direction before this afternoon. She doesn't seem to know where she wants to go anyway, so she should just go away. Can you tell that I need a vacation? I am a nervous wreck. Maybe I am the one who needs a mickey. :eek:

I hope RCCL keeps us updated on ship schedules.

iroyster,

Thanks for the warning.....I did not think of that one! I may need to take some ankle weights on our cruise! LOL Do you think 10 lbs each will be enough?:D I wish I knew how to change my graphic cause I have actually lost 29 lbs, but since the boards were upgraded, I do not know how to change it.

The last report puts Jeanne at a cat.2 and may advance to a 3. At the present they are opening shelters at 8am tomorrow. The rush is on for supplies and all the debis hasn't been picked up yet. We had a new air cond, unit put in Wed. that was damaged by Frances thinking we would be okay and then Thurs. they started to tell us Look Out!!!! Hope your cruises aee not affected, I have one scheduled foe 11/6 on the Jewel. Pray for all of us Floridians, please. Joyce from West Palm Beach

Lots of changes

Tropical Weather Update

September 24, 2004 - 3 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor Hurricane Jeanne to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of any storms.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International. We are pleased to report that our ships in the Caribbean are sailing in calm seas and warm, sunny weather.

Based on Hurricane Jeanne's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean International is altering the itineraries of several ships. Itinerary changes are listed below. We will update this information three times daily, at 10 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International is currently unable to bring ships to Coco Cay, Bahamas, our private island. Storm-related repairs are ongoing and should be complete in the coming weeks.

Additionally, storm recovery efforts in Freeport, Bahamas, and Georgetown, Cayman Islands, prevent us from visiting those ports. We look forward to returning to those locations in the very near future.

Ships scheduled to make port calls at these locations in the coming weeks will make alternative port calls or spend the day at sea.

Ships sailing from Port Canaveral

UPDATED: Sovereign of the Seas, departing today on a three-night sailing, will not make its port call at Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend Saturday at sea and make a port call in Miami, Florida, on Sunday. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne?s path, this itinerary is subject to change.

UPDATED: Mariner of the Seas, currently on its September 19 sailing, will make a port call in Labadee, Hispaniola, on Saturday, rather than spending the day at sea.

UPDATED: Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Sunday on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Monday, September 27. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Monday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Sunday, October 3. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Travel agent commissions will be protected. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne?s path, this itinerary is subject to change.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

Majesty of the Seas, departing today on a three-night sailing, will not make its port call at Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will make a port call in Key West, Florida, that day. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne's path, this itinerary is subject to change.

Explorer of the Seas, currently on its September 19 sailing, will not make its port call at Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend Saturday at sea. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne's path, this itinerary is subject to change.

UPDATED: Explorer of the Seas, departing Sunday on a seven-night sailing, may arrive midday or late afternoon, and will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Sunday. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne's path, this itinerary is subject to change.

UPDATED: Navigator of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Saturday on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Sunday, September 26. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Sunday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Saturday, October 2. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Travel agent commissions will be protected. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne?s path, this itinerary is subject to change.

Ships sailing from the Port of Baltimore

Grandeur of the Seas,departing today on a ten-night sailing, will sail a revised itinerary. The ship will make port calls in King?s Wharf, Bermuda, on Sunday and Monday; Labadee, Hispaniola, on Wednesday; and Nassau, Bahamas, on Friday. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne?s path, this itinerary is subject to change.

At this time, no Royal Caribbean International ships are being impacted by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 7 p.m. today.

Hi all. I feel sorry for all that have cruises leaving in the next couple of days. Anything could happen. Right now we are sitting in Las Vegas trying to figure out if we will get home on Sunday or not. Better places to be stranded....at least better than being booked on a cruise. I wish you all luck with the cruises you have booked, wish I had one booked. But after getting hit with Hurricane Frances...and a 5% deductible there won't be any cruises for us for awhile. Best if luck to all...and calm seas (if you sail),
Chris

I got the call tonight that confirms the above post with change in day and time. They actually said the ship will sail at 10 PM on Monday and to be there by 9 at the latest.

I am flying in from Boston, so I hope that flights can go around the storm since it looks like the track will take it up the east cost. Does anyone know how airlines handle this? I assume that on Monday it will be past FLA, but still on the coast. I am changing my flight to Monday on Sat. morning. I doubt the Sunday flight will go anyhow.

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Pedirn,[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I wouldn’t count on coming home on Sunday. It is 4:00 P.M. here in Boynton Beach, and we are getting some fairly strong gust already. The radar is showing orange right over my house! It should become very interesting within the next few hours. Be smart and stay in Vegas![/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]You mentioned the 5% deductible. On the local TV, they were saying that not only will you have to pay the 5% from Frances; but if you sustain more damage during Jeanne, you will have to pay an additional 5%. That’s a whopping 10%. Not nice![/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Personally, we were very lucky during Frances and escaped any big problems. We are in a home that is only five years old, so it was built according to the newest codes. I just hope that Jeanne will also be nice to us.[/size][/font]

Hi...I put a post on the Floridians thread too..but no one is there...I'm over here in Tampa...and was just wondering if anyone from the East coast is able to let us know how things are going over there? The pics on the TV are very impressive. Unfortunately...I don't think people over here are taking this very seriously...either that...or are just plain sick of it...and have given up on preparation...my neighbors haven't even brought in their patio furniture. We are getting a little rain...and a few gusts have come by...but not to eventful yet. I hope everyone stays safe...God Bless.:confused:

Dental-chic, welcome to sunny Florida(I just couldn't resist:D ). I followed with interest your saga of moving from Mass. to Florida. Right now I'd move to Mass, if I could budge DH out of this state;) , four hurricanes in one season is just four too many.

As for your op, I live in Boca Raton, south end of West Palm. We are experinceing heavy rains, gusty winds right now. I was sitting here on the couch and all of the sudden the last board, we had to nail in place just fell over. We went out and covered the last window, half of a sliding glass door with the plywood. We are now all board up and just waiting this storm out. As for the people in Tampa not paying attention, unless Jeanne come straight across the state(not likely) I don't think you have anything but winds & rain. Lucky, you! Hope this helps you and I'll check the board as long as I have power, during Frances we never lost power, hope our good fortune holds with Jeanne. Had several blips, but so far...
Linda

just so you know...the deductible is 2%. not only is the hurricane deuctible 2%, but it will be 2% for one storm and if you get damage from another storm, they charge you the same deductible again! we had damage from frances and i told the insurance co. not to send the adjuster until after jeanne. she told me we'd have to pay the dern 2% twice.
that is totally stupid! from what i heard jeb bush is trying to have that stopped. we pay enough for homeowners, living in florida, how dare they???
major winds and tons of rain and she's not even here yet! yikes! we still have power and phone for the time being. i'm assumung that in a few hours, when jeanne really slams us, we'll be in the dark. we have plenty of candles and flashlights and we even have a generator...thank GOD!
i'll try to stay online until i lose power and/or phone.
please stay safe floridians!!! we need one big collective prayer for this state!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply Angel. Ya...my brother keeps blaming me for all these hurricanes...thinks I brought them with me or something...to be honest...I'm beginning to wonder...we got Charlie 1 week after arriving. They just said on the news...that the last time any state (Texas) got 4 hurricanes in one year was 1888...go figure!!! My brother said he has never seen things the way they are during the 34 years he has lived here. It has definately taken its toll on my patience...but hasn't killed my spirit...or made me question my decision to move down. We've had the stresses of moving 1400 miles...and 4 hurricanes to deal with...fortunately...we've escaped any major damage...just had some water damage in the master bedroom. If nothing else...maybe some folks who weren't so in love with living in this state...will move out!!! Thereby...decreasing this booming population...lol. People love to complain to me about the state...tell me how much they hate it...as soon as they find out I'm a new arrival. I always have the same comment...ya know I75 and I95...run north too!!!! I didn't want to live in MA anymore...so I got out.

Anyway...Angel...I hope you stay safe...keep us posted...glad you got all boarded up.

Archived