Canada For Non-Canadians - Put Your Tips Here!

Ephraim

There are two ATM systems in Canada.

One is called PLUS and the other is Cirrus.

Most ATM's at major banks will handle both.

Some Credit Union ATM's will only handle one of them.

I would recommend staying withe major banks.

Have fun in Atlantic Canada .:cool:

There are two ATM systems in Canada.

One is called PLUS and the other is Cirrus.

Most ATM's at major banks will handle both.

Some Credit Union ATM's will only handle one of them.

I would recommend staying withe major banks.

Have fun in Atlantic Canada .:cool:

Thanks for the info, Doopydozer.....I do plan on having fun in A.C.-so much history in Quebec....I've been to Pacific Canada-Vancouver several times, and once all the way thru B.C., and Yukon to Alaska-it's all beautiful......I especially like Frazier Canyon area....

Thanks for the info, Doopydozer.....I do plan on having fun in A.C.-so much history in Quebec....I've been to Pacific Canada-Vancouver several times, and once all the way thru B.C., and Yukon to Alaska-it's all beautiful......I especially like Frazier Canyon area....

Fraser Canyon :)

And Quebec isn't considered part of Atlantic Canada. And Newfoundland and Labrador isn't part of the Maritimes. We seem to do whatever we can do to help confuse our neighbours to the south... <grin>

Fraser Canyon :) I'm surprised I even remembered the 1st part of the canyon name-I was there back in the 80's-my pre Alzeiheimer Days:eek: (Thanks for giving me the canyon's real name!)

And Quebec isn't considered part of Atlantic Canada. And Newfoundland and Labrador isn't part of the Maritimes. We seem to do whatever we can do to help confuse our neighbours to the south... <grin>

I'll also be visiting Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.....Atlantic Canada?!;) And I'll help do my part to help confuse my neighbors to the north! (Seriously, many Americans-including myself-are very ignorant when it comes to knowing about other countries-geography, history, etc. -let alone speaking more than 1 language:eek:).......(Thanks for your comments)....

Thank you Canada for the "culinary idea"!!!!:)

About 25 years ago I was in Sudbury, Ontario, went to a McDonalds and received vinegar with my fries -- loved it! It was the first time I heard of it, and since I have a "sour tooth", I now often prefer vinegar (or lemon juice) on my fries instead of ketchup. Here in Wisconsin, fish fries are very popular, so when I squeeze the lemon on the fish, I just continue onto the fries -- my version of fish and chips.

I'll be cruising to St. John and Halifax in September so this has been a very helpful thread. It's always fun to compare notes and embrace our cultural diversity.

• 7 months later...
Very much looking forward to my visit to Canada in Sept. Anybody know if there are Chase Bank ATMs in Saint John, or Halifax, or Quebec City? :confused: Thanks.

I believe Chase has a Canadian tie in with Scotiabank, along with Bank of America.

Chase is strictly a credit card company in Canada. They run the credit card divisions of Sears Canada, Future Shop, Best Buy Canada and Marriott and the Canadian Cancer Society. They also process credit card payments under the name Chase Paymentech.

As far as I know, they have no associated bank in Canada and they will charge you a $3 transaction fee for using an ATM in Canada, no matter who's ATM you use. Your ATM choices will depend on if your account with Chase is Visa/Plus or MasterCard/Cirrus.

You should also know that if your card has the symbol of NYCE then you can use our direct debit system for purchases in Canada, but otherwise all MasterCard or Visa transactions are processed as credit card transactions. Canada does not support debit MasterCard or Visa.

Already in Canada we are seeing merchants under Moneris and Chase Paymentech processing chip and pin transactions. If your card has a chip you may be required to use your pin to process transactions. (I know that Europeans are Chip and Pin, but I don't think the US is, yet. But if you do have the chip, the merchant might slip the card into the chip & pin reader automatically. You will have to ask them to process your transaction using the magnetic strip or manually instead.)

• 1 month later...

Archived