What a Disappointment!

BostonBud

We stopped in Grand Turk last week on the Liberty and there is really nothing to see here. I did a dive excursion in the afternoon but other than that I would have stayed on the ship. All the store right off the pier are just like all the rest of the stores on everyother Caribbean island.

Some of the locals said to come back in a few years when they're ready. I'd opt never going back.

I assumed Grand Turk is a beautiful, sparsely populated, low-key island...which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Tell me BostonBud, do you like St. Thomas? I hate it. I'm hoping Grand Turk is nothing like it!

You're going to enjoy Grand Turk as it is nothing like St. Thomas, which I also don't like.

Before Carnival built the cruise center and pier, the only reason people went to Grand Turk was to scuba dive. The diving is quite good.

Been there once. The pier shops were built by Carnival (ho hum) as was the Margarittaville pool and bar and restaurant area. Drinks and food are rediculously expensive considering the ship is a few steps away and the food is already paid for there. Beach is pretty but the island is nothing at all to see. Flat and sparse. Nothing noteworthy to see. IMO I'd much rather the ships called on a better island. The island doesn't have enough to offer and the excursion we took wasn't much for the money. (Power Snorkel). Best to think of this as a dilly dally beach day and then back to the ship for a meal. Don't set your expections high you'll be disappointed.:cool:

Been there once. The pier shops were built by Carnival (ho hum) as was the Margarittaville pool and bar and restaurant area. Drinks and food are rediculously expensive considering the ship is a few steps away and the food is already paid for there. Beach is pretty but the island is nothing at all to see. Flat and sparse. IMO I'd much rather the ships called on a better island. The island doesn't have enough to offer and the excursion we took wasn't much for the money. (Power Snorkel). Best to think of this as a dilly dally beach day and then back to the ship for a meal. Don't set your expections high you'll be disappointed.:cool:

You're going to enjoy Grand Turk as it is nothing like St. Thomas, which I also don't like.

Before Carnival built the cruise center and pier, the only reason people went to Grand Turk was to scuba dive. The diving is quite good.

Sounds like my kind of place...nothing there but a beautiful beach and lots of good snorkeling and diving, I am PSYCHED! :D

DH and I hated St. Thomas too -- Grand Turk WAS WAY more our speed. Actually if you take a chance to explore the island a bit there is a haitian/creole neighborhood with little shops painted in jamaican colors.

Grand Turk is a diving island formerly meant for serious scuba folks -- the whole point of this island is to slow down and really just enjoy being alive and not being at work, at home or wherever your stresses are. I suspect the worst day on Grand Turk is better than my best day at my job!!

Just because there isn't someone right there explaining to you how to be entertained does not make this a boring island -- you just have to allow yourself to enjoy simpler things in life. Thank goodness for places like Grand Turk!! Reminds me that it doesn't take a lot to enjoy life!

Sailor Gal - We love to snorkel and have the power snorkel reserved in February for those of us who don't dive. What didn't you like about it? Maybe we should plan a private snorkel tour.

Everyones comments are appreciated! Cherie

I'm going there in March and looking forward to touring the island by taxi. I'm looking forward to the fact that it is not yet all commercialized and in its natural state.

Anyone have any opinions or experience or tips to give me, 6 of us hiring a taxi to take us around the island,light house, town, maybe beach. I know it will only be a few hours since the island is small. I am assuming it also to be a safe island from what I've read.

I'm going there in March and looking forward to touring the island by taxi. I'm looking forward to the fact that it is not yet all commercialized and in its natural state.

Anyone have any opinions or experience or tips to give me, 6 of us hiring a taxi to take us around the island,light house, town, maybe beach. I know it will only be a few hours since the island is small. I am assuming it also to be a safe island from what I've read.

The only thing I can think to say is be sure to agree on the price for the tour, whether it is by the hour or by the day, before you get in the vehicle.

We enjoyed the island when we were there a year ago and are returning next week. You can get a taxi/van into the downtown area inexpensively. We explored the area, toured the prison, stopped off in a few bars by the sea and "slowed down" as the previous posters mentioned. We didn't spend much time at the port area, but chose to enjoy the great weather/wonderful views elsewhere. We're excited to go back!

cccole: You will enjoy the power snorkelling experience if you are ok with the following..... They are fun to use - you feel like James Bond - and you get to go a long way. Just don't expect to SEE anything noteworthy (fish, coral, etc). You'll see mostly sand and a few rocks. You do this right off the beach and it's about the power snorkel machines - not what you'll see. It is also a short excursion. The beach is beautiful but you don't have any time to swim or relax on it. You snorkel and then return immediately to the cruise pier so they can get the next group.

Sailor Gal - Thank you.

I am really looking forward to the beach, water and good snorkeling (seeing beautiful coral and fish). So......I think that I will try to find a snorkel trip that leaves shore and then come back to swim and relax on the beautiful beaches.

We are going in May. Is the large swimmimg pool that is there an excursion? Pay for the day? Is it within walking distance from the port we dock at? I see the excursion for beach day, but it doesn't mention the swimming pool.

The is a pool, beach, Margaritaville and shops built specifically for the cruise port. (Similar to a private island stop)

It has it's own website - sorry I have forgotten the address but if you just search for Grand Turk cruise center, I think you will find it.

Maureen

We booked the Grand Turk Inn for a day pass with a homemade lunch that was delicious and a small beach area for snorkeling is right across the little road that goes by the Inn. Sandy and Katrina are great as is their food. They provide snorkel gear, beach mats and floating gear. Great, relaxing day.

The dive was OK, where they took us, which wasn't very far from the pier, didn't have a whole lot to see. Some interesting coral but really no fish at all. It was a two tank dive and it became a bit chilly. The beach did look nice however, it looked over at the ship in port and not really a secluded spot. We had some friends who did the taxi tour and they said there was nothing to look at. Because I was diving at 11am I didn't have all that much time to wander around outside the port area.

No, I did not like St. Thomas either. First customs detained the ship for over an hour, we docked at 2 and I didn't get off the ship until after 3:30. Took a cab into the downtown area and it was really crowded with the same stores (Diamond International, etc...) I guess if you like jewerly you'll like it. Traffic was terrible and we hopped out of the cab on the way back because it was shorter to walk. Store closed at 5pm so we didn't have a whole lot of time to walk around.

We are going in May. Is the large swimmimg pool that is there an excursion? Pay for the day? Is it within walking distance from the port we dock at? I see the excursion for beach day, but it doesn't mention the swimming pool.

The pool is at Margaritaville right at the end of the pier and its free but can get very crowded. There was also a band playing poolside when were there.

We booked the Grand Turk Inn for a day pass with a homemade lunch that was delicious and a small beach area for snorkeling is right across the little road that goes by the Inn. Sandy and Katrina are great as is their food. They provide snorkel gear, beach mats and floating gear. Great, relaxing day.

How much for the day pass? Was the beach area nicer than the beach by Margarittaville?

The dive was OK, where they took us, which wasn't very far from the pier, didn't have a whole lot to see. Some interesting coral but really no fish at all. It was a two tank dive and it became a bit chilly.

Did you go with the ship's excursion?

Archived