Vigo, Spain: What is best thing to do?

psygist

We often rent cars in Europe (have driven in many countries) and Spain is a relatively easy country for driving. As a general rule, if you reserve a small car on-line (we like to use Europcar, Avis, or Hertz) it will cost about $120 for a one day rental. Keep in mind that you need to know how to drive a stick (automatics cost a lot more) and you also need to pay for your gas which is about $10 per gallon.

Hank

• 7 months later...
Hi,

Hertz is located in:

104 Calle de Concepción Arenal

36201, Vigo

Spain

Put the above address into Google maps to see exactly where it is.

Approx 500m from where the cruise docks.

Here are the opening times:

Mo-Fr 0900-1300 1600-1900, Sa 0900-1300, Su closed

Saludos

Brendan

We're in Vigo on April 30th and looking to get a car to drive to Santiago d. C. I found your info here, but when I tried to book it at hertz.com, it came up with VIGO AIRPORT location only. Do you know if this car rental still operational? If not, what other alternatives are there? Since we're only there from 9am - 5pm (and given the long siestas in the afternoon), something not too far from the port is ideal. Thanks.

It is possible to rent cars in Vigo and pick up at the train station (we did not notice any places at the port). You can try to look at rhinocarhire.com and see what kind of rates are available. As is often the case, you sometimes need to rent from local car rental companies.

Hank

It is possible to rent cars in Vigo and pick up at the train station (we did not notice any places at the port). You can try to look at rhinocarhire.com and see what kind of rates are available. As is often the case, you sometimes need to rent from local car rental companies.

Hank

Thanks Hank

Hi there "Vigoboy",

We are arriving in Vigo on the 30th April (Thursday) and am looking to rent a car to head to Santiago Del Comp. You wrote that there's Hertz very close to the port and address as follows according to you:

Hertz is located in:

104 Calle de Concepción Arenal

36201, Vigo

Spain

I googled it, and the only Hertz location that came up was the airport location. Then I googled "Hertz 104 Calle de Concepción Arenal 36201, Vigo Spain" and this came up:

Hertz

maps.google.ca

Rua Areal 104

36201 Vigo, Spain

+34 986 224 373

Get directions

I also used http://www.hertz.es/rentacar/reservation/gaq/index.jsp?bsc=t&targetPage=reservationOnHomepage.jsp . Eventhough it was in Spanish, I entered in Vigo Espana, and my date, and again, only airport location came up. This Rua Areal location doesn't come up.

Since I'm going to be walking, would be good if I know exactly where it is to save time/energy.

• 1 month later...
We were thinking of renting a car as near to the port as possible. For a family of 4 this seems the best option, rather than the extortionate prices RCI are charging. Any ideas/contact details are welcome.

We just did this last month. We rented a car and headed to Santiago De Compostela. We rented it at the RENFE station. It's about a nice 20 mins walk from port. I forget the name now, but after manuvering from the port, you'll arrive at this one main road, pedestrain only road with shops on both sides. Prices are cheap too. The RENFE will be on your left on this road, you'll notice the road changes from pedestrain only to cars. Ask anyone (busy street) and everyone knows where the RENFE is. It's the main train terminal. There're 3 car rentals here. National (we got a nice mid-size luxury for $56.00 USD! - of course we were upgraded). There's AVIS and the EUROCAR, both are significantly double in price. Yes, there's a drop box for you to return your car if you return it during their siesta time. Very easily done. It's very easy to drive to Santiago, just one straight road. OF course having a GPS also helped a lot. We left about 2 hours when we're back in town. We shopped a bit, walked around the old town (very near the port). Had a great day here. Before I forget, go for a smaller car. The parking lot in Santiago is scary small. Also, there's a parking lot behind the main church. If that's what you want, let me know, I have maps, directions, etc.. (if I can still find them, I can forward them to you). Honestly, we found the town Vigo itself a let down. IT was dirty (I think garbage day), and frankly not very interesting in my opinion.

Thank you, that is very useful.:) I would be interested in seeing the maps, were you on IOS? did you enjoy it? Was Santiago worth the drive?....I have a son who is sometimes slightly travel sick so I am keen to know if it is worth the trip? Sorry, so many questions!!:)

Thank you, that is very useful.:) I would be interested in seeing the maps, were you on IOS? did you enjoy it? Was Santiago worth the drive?....I have a son who is sometimes slightly travel sick so I am keen to know if it is worth the trip? Sorry, so many questions!!:)

Santiago was definitely worth the drive. We timed it. It took about 1 hour from the RENFE to the parking lot in Santiago. That was actually one of the highlights of our trip. It's very easy to navigate as well. There're 4 squares around the cathedral (North,S,E,W). On each of these squares, there's lovely buildings, very impressive, kodak moment EVERYWHERE. The cathedral is huge, so walking around it is fun and very interesting. Bring umbrellas, it rain a lot in this part of Spain, much like Seattle

The travel is very easy, almost all the driving is highway. Do you have a GPS? We always use one when driving in Europe and it's been the greatest invention ever from traveling. Oherwise go to:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Itineraires

I found this site to be better than google map or mapquest. We normally use a GPS and print our the directions as well just in case.

I looked up my GPS and found the street I was talking about earlier. IT's Calle Del Principe (pedestrain), eventually becomes Calle De Urzaiz (car). The ship is docked close to it. Get a good map or simply ask for directions. It's the main big street, so locals should be able to help. The RENFE is on Urzaiz. Book in advance as it is much cheaper.

I have the pdf as well as some notes. If you like, forward me your email address and I can pass it along to you. I think it's a great idea. There's really isn't a lot to see and do in Vigo. (I've looked through 3 Spain guide book and looked online and marked out what to see/do in Vigo, and those places where just blah.

p.s. Not sure what you meant by IOS (We were on RCL if that's what you're asking)

Edited by lisalovlee33

Independence of The Seas!

Thanks again, really useful info. We live in the UK and so are used to driving all around Europe, and we will have a portable GPS with us, so we should be OK. It is always really helpful to hear of people who have done a particular trip, and how they fared.

Not sure how to forward my email address, is there a private messaging facility? or do you mean post it here? (not too sure about the idea of that)

Free parking at Department Store (El Corte Ingles) and then bus number six. Closests parkings are San Clemente, Plaza de Galicia, and the Parliament. Driving is not a problem if you drive out of peak times.

Not sure how to forward my email address, is there a private messaging facility? or do you mean post it here? (not too sure about the idea of that)
No, there is no private messaging facility on these boards. That is a long-standing policy decision by CC.

Members who invite others to contact them by email have to do this in the body of a post, or in their signature. Whether you want to do that is a matter for you. (I won't do it, personally.)

Independence of The Seas!

Thanks again, really useful info. We live in the UK and so are used to driving all around Europe, and we will have a portable GPS with us, so we should be OK. It is always really helpful to hear of people who have done a particular trip, and how they fared.

I've uploaded the parking area map here that I found online somewhere:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SH28MLWY

We were on Visions.

Loved your blog - it's great! We are now wondering about trying to hire a taxi to take us to Santiago (or we may need a small mini van as there could be 7 of us altogether). Any ideas about local companies/likely costs for a trip to Santiago? Many thanks.

Kruzgal:

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Vigo and we hired Galicia Mystic Tours (http://www.toursofgalicia.net/) to take us to Santaigo and it was a great tour. Rose Marie is US born, but lives in Spain now and has a small tour company. She arranged to meet us at the port, told us the history on the drive, had a local guide take us around Santiago, provided lunch and got us back to the ship at the time we requested. One of the better tours of our cruise.

If you want more details, you can e-mail me at sunday71@comcast.net.

Keltic: We are taking a ship tour to Santiago in the morning and will like to go to El Corte Ingles, I think that the closest to the port is in Gran Via 25. Can you tell me if we will need to take a taxi to get there or if we can walk. My husband wants to buy some bottles of wine, and hope to find the ones he likes there. Do you know of any "bodegas" (wine stores) close to the port? He wants to buy the Vega Sicilias, Reserva Especial.

Thanks;

Lydia

• 2 weeks later...

We (a family of 2 adults and 2 teens) have rented a car from National and plan to drive to Santiago but wondered if anyone had any ideas for any hidden "gems" that we can and should see along the way. Any places to visit on the way to or from Santiago while we have a car. Maybe even a beachy area? Also - what is the best (fastest or prettiest) way to get from rental car lot in Vigo to Santiago and will they provide a map for us? We are in Vigo from 9:30 - 6pm on a Friday. Thanks for any input......

Debbie

Not much in the town of Vigo, but just off the coast, there are a couple of little islands (National Parks) which you can catch a ferry to, yet the only accommodation is to camp.

These islands are just amazing, some of the most spectacular cliffs and scenery, it really feels like you are at the edge of the world.

Being protected and a National Park, they have done loads to protect the natural islands and there are seals living in the vicinity of the island, but it is a greatly rare site to see one!!:rolleyes:

Keltic: We are taking a ship tour to Santiago in the morning and will like to go to El Corte Ingles, I think that the closest to the port is in Gran Via 25. Can you tell me if we will need to take a taxi to get there or if we can walk. My husband wants to buy some bottles of wine, and hope to find the ones he likes there. Do you know of any "bodegas" (wine stores) close to the port? He wants to buy the Vega Sicilias, Reserva Especial.

Thanks;

Lydia

It´s not far, but it´s up the hill. There´s a bus from the Tourist Office to the train station which gets at few meters from El Corte Inglés. You have another Corte Ingles in Santiago. It´s smaller, but enough to find some wine.

Not much in the town of Vigo, but just off the coast, there are a couple of little islands (National Parks) which you can catch a ferry to, yet the only accommodation is to camp.

These islands are just amazing, some of the most spectacular cliffs and scenery, it really feels like you are at the edge of the world.

Being protected and a National Park, they have done loads to protect the natural islands and there are seals living in the vicinity of the island, but it is a greatly rare site to see one!!:rolleyes:

YES, but take care. Boats usually sail fully booked in the peak season. The access is restricted. Boats leave opposite the port.

We (a family of 2 adults and 2 teens) have rented a car from National and plan to drive to Santiago but wondered if anyone had any ideas for any hidden "gems" that we can and should see along the way. Any places to visit on the way to or from Santiago while we have a car. Maybe even a beachy area? Also - what is the best (fastest or prettiest) way to get from rental car lot in Vigo to Santiago and will they provide a map for us? We are in Vigo from 9:30 - 6pm on a Friday. Thanks for any input......

Debbie

You won´t have much time for diversions. But you could drive directly to Santiago and come back along the coastal route. Detting out at Sanxenxo exit (drive to La Lanzada Beach and the little chapel with the Viking tower ruins on the clift) It´s pretty magical. Keep on driving along the coastal route to Combarro. It´s an old fishing village which remains exactly as it was in old times. Drive to Pontevedra, the little Compostela, a beautiful old time. Get the motorway back to Vigo.

There are more places, but I think you will have enough for a single day. Rushing :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi jdechter,

The best place to buy wine is at the supermarkets, where a resonable bottle of wine will set you back 3-4 euros. The closest supermarket to the port is Froiz

Click link to view map. Try the local wine Albariño.

Hi jdechter,

The best place to buy wine is at the supermarkets, where a resonable bottle of wine will set you back 3-4 euros. The closest supermarket to the port is Froiz

Click link to view map. Try the local wine Albariño.

Thank you Vigoboy. I plan on finding this place next month. Anywhere for some good Sangria and Tapas? Thanks for your help!

• 6 months later...
Kruzgal:

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Vigo and we hired Galicia Mystic Tours (http://www.toursofgalicia.net/) to take us to Santaigo and it was a great tour. Rose Marie is US born, but lives in Spain now and has a small tour company. She arranged to meet us at the port, told us the history on the drive, had a local guide take us around Santiago, provided lunch and got us back to the ship at the time we requested. One of the better tours of our cruise.

If you want more details, you can e-mail me at sunday71@comcast.net.

How many were in your group and the cost?