I love RCCL. Will I like NCL?

KillaFee

Hey guys! We usually cruise w/Royal Caribbean but we want to book a Bermuda cruise this September or October. Royal only has 5 day Bermuda cruises so we're looking at the Norwegian Dawn 7 day out of NY because we'd prefer to stay longer in Bermuda and the price is the same. Anyone out there have experience with both lines? What are the major differences between the two lines? My main thing is the service. We once strayed to Carnival and the one thing I really missed was the wonderful service that you get from RCCL. Does NCL have a great staff or are they just so/so? Also, how is the food?

Any input would help!

Thanks!

Laura

You are going to get a wide spectrum of answers as to the service aboard an NCL ship.

I have cruised both lines and enjoyed them both immensely. My preference is NCL because of freestyle. Others will tell you that freestyle offers horrible service. I have not had poor service but rather I have had what I think is better service than I have received on any other line.

So in summary I think the only real difference between NCL and RCI is freestyle dining versus traditional dining.

PE

OP--Thanks for this one. I wonder the same thing. My main concern is about the ships. I know NCL does not have ships as large as the largest RCI ones, but the prices for NCL cruises tend to be a bit better. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

The size of the RCI ships is big consideration for me. That is just too many people. I am also a little concerned with NCL decision to build the new F2's at the size they are going to be.

PE

OP--Thanks for this one. I wonder the same thing. My main concern is about the ships. I know NCL does not have ships as large as the largest RCI ones, but the prices for NCL cruises tend to be a bit better. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

The biggest difference between NCL and RCI is "Freestyle" crusing vs. "Traditional" cruising. There are pros and cons to both styles. As far as the size of the ship, definitely choose an NCL ship built for Freestyle cruising. Ships such as the Dawn, Pearl, Gem fit this category. If one of your favorite aspects of cruising is having the same waiter, the same table, the same tablemates, the same time of the cruise, you are probably not going to like "Freestyle". That has been the biggest complaint that I have read concerning freestyle on this board. Also on NCL, Formal Night is "optional", you can dress up, or you don't dress up, it is your decision. Some people get upset at what other people are wearing. Who cares what others are wearing. Wear a ball gown or a tux, ask for a table for 2, and enjoy each other. I will tell you that the cabin steward on NCL works as hard as on RCI. I don't see a big difference in quality in the food on NCL and RCI, they both fall into the "average" category for me. Are you going to actually ice skate, rock climb, or practice surfing?, then of course you should book one of the mega ships. But if you book that ship and pay extra for stuff you won't utilize, that doesn't make any sense to me. jmo

I too have cruised both lines. I have only been on RCL's Voyager class ships, enjoyed them immensely.

when I want a relaxing vacation, I cruise NCL, I have been on the Dawn, spirit and Pearl, loved them all. The Dawn is one of my favorite ships, I don;t think you will be disappointed.

Have done both as recently as of June of 07. The Dawn was very nice and I loved the Freestyle but the ships cannot match those of RCI's Radiance, Voyager or Freedom class. The Dawn felt a little more crowded at times than RCI's larger ships.

Food and service was good on the Dawn with RCI coming out a litte ahead overall but not enough to make me stay away from NCL. I place both of the lines ahead of Carnival in all areas. I suggest that you give NCL a try. That is the only way that you will know if they meet your overall cruise needs. Who knows, you may find another cruise alternative. :)

Have done both as recently as of June of 07. The Dawn was very nice and I loved the Freestyle but the ships cannot match those of RCI's Radiance, Voyager or Freedom class. The Dawn felt a little more crowded at times than RCI's larger ships.

Food and service was good on the Dawn with RCI coming out a litte ahead overall but not enough to make me stay away from NCL. I place both of the lines ahead of Carnival in all areas. I suggest that you give NCL a try. That is the only way that you will know if they meet your overall cruise needs. Who knows, you may find another cruise alternative. :)

Very interesting observation about RCCL and Carnival. I have been on both and Carnival is certainly the equal of RCCL in food, cabin size and service, if not slightly ahead.

So far I've only sailed RCCL also so I can't offer a comparison, but I would not recommend taking a Voyager/Freedom class ship to Bermuda period. We did a Voyager cruise to Bermuda a couple of years ago and regretted it. Because of the ships size, you have to berth at the navy yard as opposed to in Hamilton or St George which is in itself an obstacle. While we were there a storm was nearby. After ~4 hours in port (we were supposed to be there 2 days), the Voyager had to leave. The 4 other smaller ships in port all stayed. After we left, the captain explained that due to the approach, the ships deep draft and long length mean that it can't stay in Bermuda when the winds are high (moderate!). He also assured us that the other ships would have to leave too, which was not true (I checked after the cruise). We got 1 hour of free awful brown colored frozen drinks for our trouble. Weather can affect any cruise, but combining a "mega" ship with Bermuda increases the odds. I loved RCCL's Radiance class ships, but the Voyager/Freedom class feel like I'm taking a shopping mall to sea.

I just got off the NCL Sun yesterday and my cruise prior to that one one year ago on RCL. First of all let me say that I had a great time on the Sun but I would also say that if you are looking for great main dining room service and food then RCL has a big advantage since that is what you asked about. There was a big difference in the quality of the meat and fish and the deserts was just not as good as RCL while pasta and mixed dishes were very good but the biggest difference was the quality of the dining room service. Don't get me wrong it was not bad just not what you are used to in traditional dining. Only one night did the head waiter come over and introduce himself and his assistant and act like a team. With the others (4 other times in 2 different dining rooms) it was polite service, you only saw them when you ordered or they brought your food and it seemed to take a long time before they came by for desert since they were busy waiting on another table that arrived at a different time and was at a different stage in their meal. I ate at two of the specialty restaurants Il adagio and East meets West and they were both very good. That said it was very nice being able to eat "Freestyle" when you wanted and what you wanted it just comes with a price.

Not being a fan of ships that carry 3000 or so passengers I have no desire to cruise one of RCI large babies, but if this is something that really lights your fire you may not be happey with NCL>

as for service this also depends on the ship as much as the line. Yes, freestyle does affect the overall dining room service a little I think, but the pros way offset the cons. For us freestyle is the only way to go. We have only cruised RCI 3 times and none of these impressed us for service, so it is simply a matter of opinion. The same with food.

The cabins and entertainment will be very similar. That being said, I would choose the line that gives me more bounch for the buck. Just remember and I know this is easier said than done, try not to compare, as it is always hard to put your favorite line out of your mind when cruising. This is the same with everything I think. I know I do with hotels. I have a favorite chain and have a hard time changing. When we do, I am always the one that says, oh, if only we had choosen such and such.

Nita

When comparing RCCL and NCL it all depends on which aspect of cruising is most important to you. If you like fixed dining and dressing up pick RCCL. If you like great production shows pick NCL. If you like cappicino pick NCL (it's free). If you find art auctions in the atrium intrusive avoid RCCL.

Very interesting observation about RCCL and Carnival. I have been on both and Carnival is certainly the equal of RCCL in food, cabin size and service, if not slightly ahead.

In your opinion it is. My opinion differs from yours. Also when it comes to cabin size, it depends on ship and cabin category. Newer RCI ships match up well with Carnival.

Having worked on both lines as an entertainer -

RCI megaships are impressive, but do indeed feel like taking a shopping mall to sea. The inability to get in and out of smaller ports is an issue too, but mostly I'd just rather feel like I'm SAILING.

I found the food on NCL much better. THe entertainment (production shows especially) much better on RCI.

Cabin size varies by ship, yes? I've had some huge cabins on both, and some crappy crew quarters as well. This time out (Sprit 4.13) I'm sailing with a balcony for the first time ever, so I doubt I'll be disappointed, even though they look a little smaller than the same cabins on the Explorer. In reading these boards, it seems like alcohol may be more expensive than on RCI (we shall see), and that I may end up missing the quieter pool areas and expansive spa/gyms on RCI.

Still, even taking that into consideration we chose NCL (my husband has never cruised; I worked on ships from 91-02!) for the smaller ship size out of NY (and this sailor girl is hoping for some rock and roll action on route to FL!), the freestyle dining (good food at the same convenience as hanging out at the Windjammer on RCCL - cool!) and the ease of Manhattan vs. Bayonne.

I can only tell you from my personal experience. I have cruised only twice before, the first time with RCCL and the second with NCL. I loved both of them. I thought that the meals in the dining room were basically similar. But I am not a picky eater. Right after our cruise with NCL I told everyone that I didn't like the freestyle dining for all of the reasons stated above... not getting to know your waiter, bread waiter, etc. But we did throughly enjoy our cruise. We priced cruises on RCCL and NCL out of Bayonne and New York. As you can see by my signature, we piced NCL for quite a few reasons. The more I thought about it, knowing the waiter wasn't that important and yes, they are quite a bit more attentive on RCCL but as I recall, you gave them an envelope at the end of the trip with their tip. The service we received on NCL was no worse than any mid-price restaruant on land. Also, the price of RCCL as well as itinerary were just not what we wanted. I have been to Bermuda twice and I don't see how you can see everything in the time that you'll be there with RCCL. From checking the prices, NCL is a much better deal simply because you get much more time there.

We took the Pride of Aloha in November for our first NCLA cruise. While not exactly NCL it was close enough to determine that I probably won't cruise NCL again. I've done 7 RCI cruises, 1 Carnival and 1 NCLA. I found RCI and Carnival very close but NCLA a couple of notches below.

Everyone seems to jump on the big difference is Freestyle cruising, but I disagree. On RCI you can go to lunch and breakfast anytime and always have the Windjammer for the buffet. And yes there is the early and late dinner seatings called traditional dinning, you can also eat at the Windjammer for dinner too. On NCL they allow you to eat dinner anytime. However unless you eat very early or very late, you will encounter lines and wait times just like home. This can force you to the buffet as your only alternative if you don't want to wait. Because it's Freestyle, we paid a $10/day/passenger fee instead of tipping. Because you can't negotiate it or reduce it, it leads to overall poorer service. Sure you could tip more, but doubt you'll find a need to.

I found the Pride of Aloha to be a very underwhelming ship. The Sovereign and Majesty were much nicer even if they were 10 years older than the Aloha. Let alone comparring anything in the NCL fleet to a Radiance, Voyager, or Freedom class ship. Overall it's sort of like a take it or leave it attitude. When we got on the ship and found our room, there was absolutely nothing special like on RCI. No Cruise Compass, no Life vests set out, no greeting by our cabin attendant. It felt like a Holiday Inn. At that point we wanted to get something to eat, yet we didn't know where the restraunts were and if they were open or not. Were quite capable and found them. Actually I didn't realize how important those things are until there not there.

Other things were, no trainers in the gym or aerobics room, a lot less things to do in the dailey activities, longer wait times to get drinks, etc It felt like the ship was slightly understaffed. The food in the restraunts was on par with RCI, however the specialty restraunts on the POA weren't that much better.

What I found to be great were the cruise director and the entertainment. Our CD, Fith Fithian, did a fantastic job as well as his staff. The entertainment was also excellent, but I like jugglers magicians and comics. I also thought that their onboard entertainers did a very good job.

I think you'll find NCL acceptable, but you'll also find a deeper appreciation for RCI. You'll also find out why they are so much cheaper than RCI. Take the cruise and decide for yourselves. Look forward to your review.

We have cruised both (also, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess). My favorite is RCCL. Can't beat the service.

However, we are planning a trip to Bacelona on the Gem in Oct. We pick our cruises based on itinerary and this one fits.

You can't go wrong on any cruise (beats a day at work!).

We have sailed many RCI ships and only 1 NCL, Star Alaska. The dining room service on NCL left a lot to be desired. Even the one night we went to Cagney's, we had terrible service. However, the service in all the other restaurants was great. We happened to have had dinner the first night and breakfast another night with the same awful waitress. She told us repeatedly that there were other venues to eat. She was also slow and rude.

We didn't eat any other meals in the dining room because of her. We also put her name etc on our comments when we left the ship.

I liked the barbecue out on the deck on NCL. Nothing like that on RCI.

I liked all the choices of places to have dinner. I thought the food was ok, not great, but I don't think RCI is that great anymore either.

I do believe the ships of NCL are gaudy compared to RCI. They tend to decorate more in the Carnival style than the quiet elegance of RCI.

Our cabin steward on NCL was good and overall, we enjoyed the cruise on NCL enough that we are going to Alaska on NCL Pearl.

Both cruise lines have good and bad points. I think you should give it a try and see how you feel after the cruise. You might really enjoy it and want to sail NCL again.

Enjoy!

I have cruised on the Dawn out of NY and the Explorer out of Bayonne both twice. I would definitely have to give the edge to RCI. While i do prefer the Freestyle concept, there are many things on RCI that would keep me coming back, many less on NCL. Just keep in mind this is all based on previous cruises and NCL is rolling out Freestyle 2.0 fleet wide which may address alot of my complaints. The food on RCI was in my book, definitely a step up from NCL. One of my biggest gripes were the desserts on NCL, they were all the same. I read in a review a couple days that was complaining about the gelatinous desserts on NCL, i thought i was the only one who notices this. Practically every dessert was in gelatinous form, just in a different shape/flavor. Would have killed to get some sort of cake or something. The menu's are just very uninspiring, not that i went hungry, was just never like WOW, i just had a really great meal. RCI, i got that WOW factor every now and then. I know both lines are of course in business to make money, but NCL is way more in your face about it, RCI a bit more subtle as far as extra cost items go. Now down to the ships themselves. First off i feel the need to point out that i have read alot of people saying they would never cruise on the big RCI ships because of the amout of people on them. The Dawn to me, definitely felt more crowded, the passenger space ratio on RCI's large ships is the lowest out of any other mainstream lines ships. Comparing the 2 ships themselves, i will say i would have to give the edge to the Dawn, only for the feeling it gave me though. When i am on a cruise i like to feel as if i am at sea, the Explorer did not afford me that feeling, i always felt enclosed. WOW factor of the ships?.....Did not get it on the Dawn, it was a pretty ship, but cannot even compare to the WOW factor of a Voyager/Freedom class ship. My biggest gripe with the Dawn though was the pool area. They have 1 pool (really 2, but the other is an indoor lap pool which carries an extra expense) while the Explorer had 3 pools. Hope this was of some help to you in your decision making.

Now im just waiting for someone to pick apart my post, i have my fire-proof suit on, so im ready...:p

Happy Cruising!

IMO NCL entertainment is better. RCCL beds are better. Best beds HAL. NCL Majesty's staff and crew can't be beat. Carnack, head waiter, is moving to the Dawn. If you go tell him Susan, the rum raisin ice cream lady says hi. He is the BEST head waiter.

You're kidding' date=' right?

PE[/quote']

Not at all -- I worked for years with both production teams; also on Cunard with Jean Ann Ryan. RCI certainly pays the most $, which I think garners better talent; then again, NCL offers better perks (i.e. sweet outside passenger cabin when I cruised Alaska). But I'll give you that I've not cruised since 2002 -- perhaps things have changed? The theatres on the Voyager class RCI ships rival any I've seen in NYC or Vegas, production value-wise. Jean Ann, I think, may cater to a more "upscale" audience...apples and oranges, really.

I'm interested in the comparison, though -- what do you think is better/worse with the entertainment, line to line?

I have cruised on the Dawn out of NY and the Explorer out of Bayonne both twice. I would definitely have to give the edge to RCI. While i do prefer the Freestyle concept, there are many things on RCI that would keep me coming back, many less on NCL. Just keep in mind this is all based on previous cruises and NCL is rolling out Freestyle 2.0 fleet wide which may address alot of my complaints. The food on RCI was in my book, definitely a step up from NCL. One of my biggest gripes were the desserts on NCL, they were all the same. I read in a review a couple days that was complaining about the gelatinous desserts on NCL, i thought i was the only one who notices this. Practically every dessert was in gelatinous form, just in a different shape/flavor. Would have killed to get some sort of cake or something. The menu's are just very uninspiring, not that i went hungry, was just never like WOW, i just had a really great meal. RCI, i got that WOW factor every now and then. I know both lines are of course in business to make money, but NCL is way more in your face about it, RCI a bit more subtle as far as extra cost items go. Now down to the ships themselves. First off i feel the need to point out that i have read alot of people saying they would never cruise on the big RCI ships because of the amout of people on them. The Dawn to me, definitely felt more crowded, the passenger space ratio on RCI's large ships is the lowest out of any other mainstream lines ships. Comparing the 2 ships themselves, i will say i would have to give the edge to the Dawn, only for the feeling it gave me though. When i am on a cruise i like to feel as if i am at sea, the Explorer did not afford me that feeling, i always felt enclosed. WOW factor of the ships?.....Did not get it on the Dawn, it was a pretty ship, but cannot even compare to the WOW factor of a Voyager/Freedom class ship. My biggest gripe with the Dawn though was the pool area. They have 1 pool (really 2, but the other is an indoor lap pool which carries an extra expense) while the Explorer had 3 pools. Hope this was of some help to you in your decision making.

Now im just waiting for someone to pick apart my post, i have my fire-proof suit on, so im ready...:p

Happy Cruising!

The space per passenger is indeed better on RCi but it is in public areas and not the cabins. I would rather have the extra sq ft in my cabin. I dont think either line offers the same cabin space as Carnival and certainly HAL. That being said, I hope no one picks your opinion apart. You have every right to feel the way you do. As for desserts, I really wouldn't even compare any line based on desserts, but if this is important to you I understand.

Nita

Having worked on both lines as an entertainer -

RCI megaships are impressive, but do indeed feel like taking a shopping mall to sea. The inability to get in and out of smaller ports is an issue too, but mostly I'd just rather feel like I'm SAILING.

I found the food on NCL much better. THe entertainment (production shows especially) much better on RCI.

Cabin size varies by ship, yes? I've had some huge cabins on both, and some crappy crew quarters as well. This time out (Sprit 4.13) I'm sailing with a balcony for the first time ever, so I doubt I'll be disappointed, even though they look a little smaller than the same cabins on the Explorer. In reading these boards, it seems like alcohol may be more expensive than on RCI (we shall see), and that I may end up missing the quieter pool areas and expansive spa/gyms on RCI.

Still, even taking that into consideration we chose NCL (my husband has never cruised; I worked on ships from 91-02!) for the smaller ship size out of NY (and this sailor girl is hoping for some rock and roll action on route to FL!), the freestyle dining (good food at the same convenience as hanging out at the Windjammer on RCCL - cool!) and the ease of Manhattan vs. Bayonne.

again all this is a matter of opinion and it doesnt make much difference whether you worked on the ships, cruised them or are going on what others have said: for us, the entertainment on NCL is far better than Rci but again, opinion is all this is.

Nita

Archived