17.5 y/-can he dive if no parent is with him (RCI)?

Hi all-

Our son is a PDIC certified diver, with all appropriate certs and logs for open water dives. Neither DH or I are certified. Would he be able to dive on a RCI excursion dive? He would be alone. Not sure if he'd have to be over 18? He'll be 17 1/2 when we go. I'd love to surprise him with a dive on our cruise!

Hi all-

Our son is a PDIC certified diver, with all appropriate certs and logs for open water dives. Neither DH or I are certified. Would he be able to dive on a RCI excursion dive? He would be alone. Not sure if he'd have to be over 18? He'll be 17 1/2 when we go. I'd love to surprise him with a dive on our cruise!

Check what his certification level is, if he has been certified with PADI and holds a junior open water diver card he needs to upgrade it to Open Water Diver certification. (junior open water age 10 - 15)

PADI standrds and procedures read as follows, A Junior open water diver or Junior scuba is qualified to dive only when accompanied by another certified diver who is of legal age. Since PADI junior scuba divers must dive when under the direct supervision of a Padi Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor, this meets this standard's intent. Legal age is at least 18 years of age, except where law defines an older age; in this case, the law becomes the guideline.

If you book the excursion with the ship they always have a dive master or higher cert level accompany the group. You will also need to sign the Liability release form & assumption of risk form as does your son.

make sure you bring his certification card.

I also agree with every ones post. it never hurts to contact the dive opt. to see if they have any other rules.

Hope this Helps HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

PADI MSDT Instructor

I'd pair a 17.5 with a skilled diving parent or Divemaster. My concern is the surprise element - thinking your 17.5 is not a frequent diver, so skill set may not be strong. Where is the dive? What is the depth? JFYR, my 12.5 with 65 dives dives with dad (Divemaster/DiveCon/Lifeguard) or one of our other Divemasters or higher.

Hi all-

Thanks for all the replies!!

He is open water PDIC certified (regular, not junior-got open water last summer). He was trained by my FIL, who sadly is no longer with us. He's been diving since age 13, deepest dive was 55 feet in a lake. He said it was creepy because it was dark, but he thought it was "cool" too. I have no problem paying more for him to be teamed with a dive master-I'd actually feel more comfortable that way.

I know the PDIC and PADI are different, but I am illiterate when it comes to these things.

I'll definitely check with RCCL once time gets closer....

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks!

If you are looking for dive operator recommendations, you'll need to list your ports of call.

I'm pretty sure we'll book through the cruise line. If he's alone, I'd rather know he's with a group from the ship and won't have to worry about him getting back.

We are going to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. We are planning a family excursion in Belize, so I think he'll dive (if he can and I can arrange a dive master) in Costa Maya or Cozumel.

I'm pretty sure we'll book through the cruise line. If he's alone, I'd rather know he's with a group from the ship and won't have to worry about him getting back.

We are going to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. We are planning a family excursion in Belize, so I think he'll dive (if he can and I can arrange a dive master) in Costa Maya or Cozumel.

Good luck getting a private DM going thru the ship's excursion.

Cozumel - in my experience (and others I've talked to) they are more likely to accomadate your son than other places. Belize seems much stricter (and farther from the ship), and I think Costa Maya (are they open now?) has many less options for dive operators.

Archived