senor frogs......WARNING

luv2travel#2

I am going on my first cruise in 10 days, but I have been to Mexico several times on land vacations - and always have a great time. I too have experienced the same thing this OP has experienced and paid the extra money just to get away and ensure my safety. I also speak fluent Spanish and even communicated the entire time in Spanish at this establishment. Once I indicated there was a problem with my bill, no one seem to understand my Spanish anymore. LOL.

I have seen the police in Mexico in action - Cancun. I would not call the police for any event what-so-ever. My experience (by watching what hapopened) is that the nationals are always right and the police threaten jail to the tourist!

This is exactly why I now pay as I go at every bar and restaurant in Mexico.

I realize many people will have their own opinion in this matter...I am just sharing mine. I can certainly relate to this OP. It does happen, and I bet frequently.

Again, just my shared experience....and I will not be going to Sr. Frogs in Mazatlan on my upcoming cruise! Thanks for the warning.

Exactly the thought I had...

There is CHEAP Tequila and there is REALLY GOOD Tequila...and everything in between...Had them all in my earlier years.

A few years back, we did an excursion in Puerto Vallarta to a Tequila Distillery--Perfidio

We had the samples along the tour and thought it was pretty good...I mentioned to my wife that maybe we should buy a bottle of the Anejo to take home...We get to the end of the tour and they are selling bottles in a little gift shop...There's a sign next to a liter bottle of Anejo that says "$295"...

We ask the guy "That's Pesos, right?"

He says, "No, that's in US Dollars"...

Even though it was really good stuff, we decided to pass...

Now, if I walked into a bar in Mexico...or in the US, I would never assume they are just pouring me the cheap stuff...

I'd SPECIFY...

Otherwise, you just might get surprised...

So, the other important question is HOW DID YOU ORDER those drinks and shots? Did you point to something? Or just say one of those? Or did you choose a Tequila without understanding what it was? Shot server served everyone at the table same shots. Separate waiter came and we ordered 2 stardard margaritas plus chips and dip.

My guess is that you absentmindedly ordered shots of what actually would be MODERATELY priced sipping anejo blue agave tequila...likely $25 to $30 per shot in US $, believe it or not.....Don't know why you would guess.........Ordered one shot each. (total of 2) same tequila shots as other couples. When we were ready to leave, the shot sever came by and collected $12.00 for the 2 shots. The waiter that served our margaritas, chips and dip, then came over to the table and tried to collect $58.00.......thats when I called for the manager.

ringo who ordered 4 drinks of expensive tequila, then argued about and refused to pay the bill...And how he tried to save him from embarassment by taking him away from the crowds into a private area...And, no matter how he tried to explain it, the guy just didn't understand...or want to understand...and how the guy shortchanged him and he had to go running after him for the rest of the money...No one "had to go running after" me...Don't know how you came up with that scenario, must be the attorney in you......lol

As to the camera, I would NEVER walk off aywhere and leave my camera...That's clearly your fault...

I've taken full responsability for that dumb move....However, I learned years ago to NEVER say NEVER.......thanks for your imput

I am going on my first cruise in 10 days, but I have been to Mexico several times on land vacations - and always have a great time. I too have experienced the same thing this OP has experienced and paid the extra money just to get away and ensure my safety. I also speak fluent Spanish and even communicated the entire time in Spanish at this establishment. Once I indicated there was a problem with my bill, no one seem to understand my Spanish anymore. LOL.

I have seen the police in Mexico in action - Cancun. I would not call the police for any event what-so-ever. My experience (by watching what hapopened) is that the nationals are always right and the police threaten jail to the tourist!

This is exactly why I now pay as I go at every bar and restaurant in Mexico.

I realize many people will have their own opinion in this matter...I am just sharing mine. I can certainly relate to this OP. It does happen, and I bet frequently.

Again, just my shared experience....and I will not be going to Sr. Frogs in Mazatlan on my upcoming cruise! Thanks for the warning.

WOW......someone that didn't slam me.......thanks......was only trying to get folks not to run a tab......what a hassle having to defend myself with this post........thanks:)

WOW......someone that didn't slam me.......thanks......was only trying to get folks not to run a tab......what a hassle having to defend myself with this post........thanks:)

I fully understand what you are communicating. I mean, please poeple, give this guy a break. After all, he has stated he is a retired police officer. Don't you think he has the experience and background to identify and understand what was happening? Geeeze

First, luv2, sorry that it came across sounding like a slam...If you really did get scammed, I feel for you...I just can see how it can easily have been a misunderstanding...

I have ordered the expensive porfidio tequila in a bar in PV--$10/shot. Still shouldn't add up to $70.

If you were getting it for $10 a shot, it was NOT the "expensive Perfidio"...They made several varieties of Tequila and the TOP Perfidio actually sold for $1000 per liter...Trust me, when I got home from that trip, I tried to look it up to see what I could get it for here. The $295 bottle was actually a step down from the top...and NO BAR is pouring shots from a $1000 bottle or even a three hundred dollar bottle for ten bucks a shot...

And Perfidio isn't the only high priced tequila. Good tequila has gotten extremely expensive of late...

Watch this link:

http://feedroom.businessweek.com/index.jsp?fr_story=ba1e5e13c21a64d04f9763c85964fce402807987

First, luv2, sorry that it came across sounding like a slam...If you really did get scammed, I feel for you...I just can see how it can easily have been a misunderstanding...

If you were getting it for $10 a shot, it was NOT the "expensive Perfidio"...They made several varieties of Tequila and the TOP Perfidio actually sold for $1000 per liter...Trust me, when I got home from that trip, I tried to look it up to see what I could get it for here. The $295 bottle was actually a step down from the top...and NO BAR is pouring shots from a $1000 bottle or even a three hundred dollar bottle for ten bucks a shot...

And Perfidio isn't the only high priced tequila. Good tequila has gotten extremely expensive of late...

Watch this link:

http://feedroom.businessweek.com/index.jsp?fr_story=ba1e5e13c21a64d04f9763c85964fce402807987

ok, sorry I got hot under the collar......new to all of this....I truly now know why victims didn't report crimes, having to defend oneself.....I noticed that you cruise all the time.....perhaps we will run into each other....I'll buy you a shot, but pay up front for it.......take care

I fully understand what you are communicating. I mean, please poeple, give this guy a break. After all, he has stated he is a retired police officer. Don't you think he has the experience and background to identify and understand what was happening? Geeeze

well said!!!;)

Thanks......very nice of you......sooooo upset, that I just noticed that you are going on your first cruise on the same ship that we did. Was our first cruise also......bundle up, it will be cold until you reach Cobo.....Have a great cruise.....we found out that there is nothing quite like it......Please get to know the crew......such a wonderful group of people, always smiling and just wanting to help......we will cruise again very soon....thanks, have a DOD for us.....take care,

from your first post!

WARNING.......we were there around noon with 8 couples.....for my wife and I, we had 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip......they charged the two of us $70.00 US...... ......the manager then followed us outside with more goons and demanded $12.00 more.....

from this post

.He would try to add different figures and when it did not total up to the $58.00 US that he was demanding, he just kept changing the figures.

It seems that you are also changing the numbers, first its $70.00 plus he wants more, then its $58.00 plus he wants more.

so what is teh amount?

second point just you say your wife was waiting in the lobby for you, you say it was a plot to get your money and camera. Why did your wife walk away and leave your camera on the table. As a retired cop you must have talked about how people steal things when they are left unattended!

sorry but your story is really not very believable

don't care anymore.....go there....have fun....once again, if you ever wonder why victims don't report crimes, it's because of this......take this post for whatever you want to......i'm done.....I'm thinking that some of you must be employees of senor frogs......so, good luck, have a wonderful time....:)

t

Luv2travel, a big thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Please know your post is valuable, I know your whole idea was to warn people and spare future cruisers the agony that you just went through. This is of great interest to us all and we want to try and avoid this happening ever again to the next cruiser. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

I have just come across another old thread (Apr/May 07) on here along the same lines warning about the bars in Cabo. There were a few responses on that thread also where people had been overcharged. I will copy it here:

"Watch Out at Cabo San Lucas Restaurants & Bars!

This is just a warning to everyone cruising into Cabo San Lucas.

To avoid being cheated by the Marina and Medano Beach restaurants and bars:

1) Always ask how much a drink is before ordering. It has a way of always appearing on the bill as more than what it really costs. Happy Hour also has a way of being two regular price beers, not two for one.

2) Always pay attention to the prices on the menu for what you're ordering, because it will often be a higher price when the check comes.

3) Always ask to see the check - often a waiter will come up to you and tell you how much the bill is, without showing you your check, hoping you'll just pay without thinking about it. To a tee, every time we've demanded to see the check when this happens, it is significantly less than what the waiter told me.

4) Always read the check very closely - not only are the prices often higher than what you read on the menu or what the waiter said when you sat down, but a favourite trick is to deceptively add their tip into the bill without telling you, even highlighting the new total so that your eyes are drawn away from the lines above it containing the real total, in the hope that you won't notice and will double-tip.

5) After they take your credit card, make sure that the receipt you sign is for the same amount as the receipt they gave you. This is another fun trick.

6) If you pay in cash, make sure to count your change to verify its accuracy.

Make sure if you visit any of these establishments, that you keep an eye on things very closely. If you catch them in the act of trying to cheat you (and they will), demand to see a manager and tell the manager what the waiter is trying to do. Make sure they really are the manager, because another fun trick is to get another co-conspirator to pretend he's the manager. Then, above all else, make sure to leave ZERO tip. If enough people start doing this, then hopefully they'll start to see that it's not worth the effort.

Some of the most notorious cheats work at the Nowhere Bar, Baja Cantina, and Alexander's, but it is widespread around the tourist area, and their biggest prey are cruise ship passengers.

I have not noticed the same phenomenon at other Mexican ports, but it does seem to be almost the standard in Cabo San Lucas, so just be sure to take notice."

These type of scams absolutely disgust me and I have zero tolerance for scam artists, here's a little more info to make your voice be heard and you can expect them to take care of this embarrassing issue.

Mexican Board of Tourism (yeap the big enchilada regarding tourism)

Lic. Héctor Hugo Contreras Sierra

Dirección de Verificación

Presidente Masaryk 172, 1er. Piso, Col. Chapultepec Morales,

C. P. 11587, México, D. F.

Tel. (55) 3002-6300 Ext. 1248

E-mail: hcontreras@sectur.gob.mx

E-mail: quejas@sectur.gob.mx

First email is his personal email and the second one is for complaints, state you name date, place where you went and I am sure they will get back to you.

A few months back I was charged almost 100USD for 6 drinks at a local bar (3 rum cokes, 2 piña coladas and a orange juice) I asked to see the itemized bill and the "printer was broken" was the reply, got a hold of PROFECO (BBB) and the Local Board of Tourism and they fixed the problem.

It's good to know where to turn when you encounter crooks.

Sorry for your experience, I'm headed down in about a month and will be careful.

One rule I have is that I have never in my life paid for my drinks in a bar with a credit card or run a tab. In a bar I always pay cash, that way I can't spend more than I normally might if I have that "one too many"

For the record if someone suggests what the issue might have been, or suggests a differnt course of action in most cases it is not meant as a personal attack.

OP aside, i never understand why people on a vacation oriented forum are so militant. If everything isnt 100% agreeable to every thread everyone starts in with their "jeez"& "popcorn" personal attack replies.

Is it at all possible in America to disagree without a fight ?? It used to be ok to agree to disagree.

Hey....I totally support your claim. It's happened to me and it's happened to others. I have no doubt that it happened to you!!!

I boycott Senor Frogs because it's a tourist trap with awful food. Overpriced for quality and inferior to just about any other option. No need to defend your position. You were there and we weren't. Thanks for letting others know to watch their tabs and keep track of what they are ordering.

Also, $10 for a shot of tequila is not the really good stuff. It'll be good but not REALLY good. Personally, I think it is well worth it to order brand specific and not "house." "House" tequila was probably distilled in a bathtub. Two drinks is all it takes to realize something bad has been ingested...speaking from experience :).

Luv2travel.

I am so sorry about the way you have been treated. I am most grateful for your warning as I will be in Mexico in the next few weeks.

Your experience is a warning for people like me who are very trusting. I happen to know from first hand experience how quickly something like this can happen. These thieves move quickly and in only a few minutes the whole thing is over and you are out money or personal belongings. It is even easier for the thieves if you are in a group because there is more noise and confusion. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and I can not tell you how many times he has thought I had the camera and I have thought he has had the camera and we have left it behind. That happens to people who are on vacation, they are relaxed and not thinking like they would be if they were at home. I just wanted to thank you for your advice and concern for other cruisers. Maureen

from your first post!

It seems that you are also changing the numbers, first its $70.00 plus he wants more, then its $58.00 plus he wants more.

so what is teh amount?

second point just you say your wife was waiting in the lobby for you, you say it was a plot to get your money and camera. Why did your wife walk away and leave your camera on the table. As a retired cop you must have talked about how people steal things when they are left unattended!

sorry but your story is really not very believable

To clarify the math: The original bill was for $58.00 - Luv2 paid this. Then when he walked out, the manager followed him out and demanded another $12.00. Where I went to school, $58 + $12 = $70.

As far as the second point: well, if that is what you believe, that's what you believe. Personally, I have left things unattended thinking my wife had it and, also, just because I spaced it out because I had other things on my mind. Being an ex-cop does not mean Luv2 is devoid of the human failings of the rest of the population.

Personally, I thank Luv2 for giving us a heads-up that a scam such as this can occur in a well-known chain such as Sr. Frogs and, by extension, any well known establishment, in which we tend to be too trusting.

Thanks again Luv2 and all the other posters who have shared their experiences.

Thank you Luv2Travel for the warning. I personally appreciate you taking the time and trouble to let other CC cruisers know about the problem you had. We will be doing the same cruise in a few weeks and I definitely won't be going to Senior Frog! I agree with CocoKai...they have horrible food!

It's sad that you can't tell about a problem YOU had on YOUR trip without having to hear from so many doubting Tom's.:confused: Geeeeez!!

These type of scams absolutely disgust me and I have zero tolerance for scam artists, here's a little more info to make your voice be heard and you can expect them to take care of this embarrassing issue.

Mexican Board of Tourism (yeap the big enchilada regarding tourism)

Lic. Héctor Hugo Contreras Sierra

Dirección de Verificación

Presidente Masaryk 172, 1er. Piso, Col. Chapultepec Morales,

C. P. 11587, México, D. F.

Tel. (55) 3002-6300 Ext. 1248

E-mail: hcontreras@sectur.gob.mx

E-mail: quejas@sectur.gob.mx

First email is his personal email and the second one is for complaints, state you name date, place where you went and I am sure they will get back to you.

A few months back I was charged almost 100USD for 6 drinks at a local bar (3 rum cokes, 2 piña coladas and a orange juice) I asked to see the itemized bill and the "printer was broken" was the reply, got a hold of PROFECO (BBB) and the Local Board of Tourism and they fixed the problem.

It's good to know where to turn when you encounter crooks.

Thanks for the information. My E-mail is on the way.........For the several last posters after this one, thanks for all the kindness. My faith has been restored in my fellow mankind, I thought I was going nuts for awhile, just trying to give out a warning and then becoming the bad guy.....Thanks again folks, I can now get back to really enjoying and learning from this great site. I would like to buy each and everyone of you a DOD......:) :) :) :) :) God bless

I've researched enough on these boards to realize that we are all cruising with some very cranky people. Whether they hate kids, hate that you found a flaw in "their" perfect cruise line, hate that you have only made one post to their 5,000, hate that someone had the audacity to walk through a public area on formal night not properly attired....the list goes on.

I'll have a drink for you in Mazatlan but it WON'T be at Senor Frogs :).

Thanks for the information. My E-mail is on the way.........For the several last posters after this one, thanks for all the kindness. My faith has been restored in my fellow mankind, I thought I was going nuts for awhile, just trying to give out a warning and then becoming the bad guy.....Thanks again folks, I can now get back to really enjoying and learning from this great site. I would like to buy each and everyone of you a DOD......:) :) :) :) :) God bless

I read your post with great interest - as I do all the posts that everyone writes. I am glad you are not scared away by just a few. ANY info that can help someone not make the same mistake you made is SO important. Don't worry about defending your position - those of us that benefit far outweigh the negative "few". Thank you - and if I ever meet you on our cruising adventures I'll take that DOD!!!

Luv2Travel.

Thank you for warning us about this problem. Thank goodness you and your wife and friends got out without any further problems.

I didn't read all the posts just the first page but I feel bad that you are being bashed for just coming in to warn people of a potential problem.

I have only been to Senor Frogs in the Bahamas and had no problems but anything is possible.

I hope you where able to enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!!

Kim

Archived