senor frogs......WARNING

luv2travel#2

Hey Luv2Travel. I was born in this border town and spent most of my life here. I am VERY familiar with the type of issues you and others here have had. It is not unreasonable to believe that you were scammed, and it is not unreasonable for you to come here and warn others about this. You did a good thing. I'm sure some of these folks that so vocally want to disagree with you just want to believe the best in everyone and all that, but whether they want to believe it or not, it is not uncommon. Drink scams and worse happen all the time. There are many scams down south in an attempt to get ahead. Why not? There are many scams up here to get ahead too! Why just yesterday some nice Barrister in London informed me that I was related to an illegally deposed Monarch of an African country and if I would just send them my financial information they would happily send me the monies I am entitled to! Yeah....gimme another drink senior! It's all over folks. It's a global problem and will get worse as economies get worse. Luv2 wasn't saying anything other than beware if you want to run a tab. Heck I won't run a tab here because it seems no-one can add properly! I hope none of you are ever caught up in a scam, but if you are, I hope you have the cojones to come back to this board and apologize for your attitudes.

Luv2, don't let the you-know-whats wear ya down! Your warning was timely and appreciated! And just to add my 2 cents, drinks may seem expensive on shipboard, but I can have quite a few on $70.00!

Hey Luv2Travel. I was born in this border town and spent most of my life here. I am VERY familiar with the type of issues you and others here have had. It is not unreasonable to believe that you were scammed, and it is not unreasonable for you to come here and warn others about this. You did a good thing. I'm sure some of these folks that so vocally want to disagree with you just want to believe the best in everyone and all that, but whether they want to believe it or not, it is not uncommon. Drink scams and worse happen all the time. There are many scams down south in an attempt to get ahead. Why not? There are many scams up here to get ahead too! Why just yesterday some nice Barrister in London informed me that I was related to an illegally deposed Monarch of an African country and if I would just send them my financial information they would happily send me the monies I am entitled to! Yeah....gimme another drink senior! It's all over folks. It's a global problem and will get worse as economies get worse. Luv2 wasn't saying anything other than beware if you want to run a tab. Heck I won't run a tab here because it seems no-one can add properly! I hope none of you are ever caught up in a scam, but if you are, I hope you have the cojones to come back to this board and apologize for your attitudes.

Luv2, don't let the you-know-whats wear ya down! Your warning was timely and appreciated! And just to add my 2 cents, drinks may seem expensive on shipboard, but I can have quite a few on $70.00!

Thanks for the reply and info...........I thought this CC site had good people as members, now I now it does......You also get a DOD when I meet you all in person.......many, many thanks:)

I will be going there with a group of people in April and I will tell them all to pay as they go! Thanks so much of the heads up. I have been there several times in the past and don't recall having a problem, but then again, I don't recall much after leaving Frog's!

Okay...let me try making my point in another way...

It seems like many posters on here are attacking those of us who appear not to be convinced that the OP was necessarily scammed...

It is not that I don't believe there are plenty of scams out there...or that I don't feel bad for anyone who is the victim of one...

And it's not that I don't believe there is the possibility that the OP was. in fact scammed...

BUT...

First of all, the establishment being accused of running the scam is not some con artist selling designer watches in a back alley...and it's not the deposed Nigerian Oil Minister contacting you by e-mail...

This is a very well known, long-established restaurant/bar...part of a fairly large chain...I have not eaten or drank at this particular branch, but I have many times visited their sister establishment in Puerto Vallarta and some of their other branches in the Caribbean...So have many others on these boards...And in all of the many times I have done business with them, I have never once been "scammed"...never once found the experience anything other than completely legitimate.

From my experience, they are a very well run restaurant. And they are very dependent on the tourist dollar...and their reputation is far more valuable to them than separating any particular tourist from his $70...

In fact, we're not really talking about $70, are we? The OP admits having two mixed drinks, two "shots", chips, salsa. These have SOME value, correct? What does the OP think the bill should have been? $30? $40? We're really only talking about a very small differential here, correct?

So, the OP is really only accusing the establishment of "scamming" him out of a few dollars...right?

All I was suggesting, is this very easily might have been more of a misunderstanding than anything else...

There is a possibility the OP actually lost track and had more drinks than he thought? Or that one of his friends' drinks was mistakenly put on his tab? Or quite very easily, the OP did not pay much attention to exactly what he had ordered...Yes, some Tequila shots can easily cost $20 a shot, $30 a shot or more...

Nowhere does the OP tell us precisely what he ordered or precisely what the price was supposed to have been...I really don't think he was paying that much attention...

I cannot tell you how many times my wife has ordered a "glass of white wine" without specifying which kind and the server will suggest "the Chardonay? The Chablis?" and my wife will pick one without thinking and it turns out to be a $25 glass rather than the $8 house wine she is expecting...And this happens in well known restaurants here in the US...not in tourist bars in Mexico...

The point is it is YOU that has to know what you are ordering...and if YOU don't pay attention, you can very easily find out that you have just run up a $70 tab in only 4 drinks...

And, when that happens, YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SCAMMED...You have been careless...and you only have yourself to blame...

When you order a drink, be very precise what you order...First ask "How much for a shot of tequila?" And don't order it until you AGREE on a specific tequila and an exact price.

I am not being mean or heartless for not believing that the OP was necessarily scammed. I just don't think that a REPUTABLE long established and popular bar or eatery that thrives on its reputation among tourists is wasting all that to scam one American tourist out of just a few dollars...

I fully believe ethe OP BELIEVES he was "scammed"...but I also believe there is a far more reasonable explanation.

I am not being mean or heartless for not believing that the OP was necessarily scammed. I just don't think that a REPUTABLE long established and popular bar or eatery that thrives on its reputation among tourists is wasting all that to scam one American tourist out of just a few dollars...

I fully believe ethe OP BELIEVES he was "scammed"...but I also believe there is a far more reasonable explanation.

Fantastic, you believe what you want and I will avoid Frogs. It has happened to me, so it is not just one tourist! A Mazatlan local stated in this thread that he is aware of scams in the bars happening to tourists. AND, a few dollars here and there can really add up over time.

The OP is not stating that Senor Frogs, the corporation, makes scamming the guest part of their business plan. He is just providing information about his cruise experience which is exactly why people visit this forum. :D

I've researched enough on these boards to realize that we are all cruising with some very cranky people. Whether they hate kids, hate that you found a flaw in "their" perfect cruise line, hate that you have only made one post to their 5,000, hate that someone had the audacity to walk through a public area on formal night not properly attired....the list goes on.

I'll have a drink for you in Mazatlan but it WON'T be at Senor Frogs :).

HERE! HERE! :)

Okay...let me try making my point in another way...

It seems like many posters on here are attacking those of us who appear not to be convinced that the OP was necessarily scammed..................................................This could be because you keep making up these different scenarios, that are based on YOUR assumptations, rather than what I have stated.

It is not that I don't believe there are plenty of scams out there...or that I don't feel bad for anyone who is the victim of one...

And it's not that I don't believe there is the possibility that the OP was. in fact scammed...Could have fooled me....all of your assumptations indicate otherwise

BUT...

First of all, the establishment being accused of running the scam is not some con artist selling designer watches in a back alley...and it's not the deposed Nigerian Oil Minister contacting you by e-mail...True, a very well established company that I hope will listen to what a few of their employees are doing.

This is a very well known, long-established restaurant/bar...part of a fairly large chain...I have not eaten or drank at this particular branch, but I have many times visited their sister establishment in Puerto Vallarta and some of their other branches in the Caribbean...So have many others on these boards...And in all of the many times I have done business with them, I have never once been "scammed"...never once found the experience anything other than completely legitimate. This was my first time of being scammed. Hopefully, you will never experience this...However, if you are scammed, I guess you won't be able to continue to use the word "NEVER ".

From my experience, they are a very well run restaurant. And they are very dependent on the tourist dollar...and their reputation is far more valuable to them than separating any particular tourist from his $70...True, however since you continue to assume, why can't you assume that this was done by a dishonest employee.

In fact, we're not really talking about $70, are we? The OP admits having two mixed drinks, two "shots", chips, salsa. These have SOME value, correct? What does the OP think the bill should have been? $30? $40? We're really only talking about a very small differential here, correct?

So true, a small amount of $.... I'm an honest person that just wanted to pay my correct bill....I would have tipped him twice what he was trying to scam me out of.... So, just how much does it have to be to be a scam......A thief is a thief....I don't care what the dollar amount is ....Surely we must agree with this.... Please read my post over...I stated that my wife and I had 2 drinks and 2 shots, I never said that "I" had 2 mixed drinks....Please read the post....In my response to one of your post, I specifically stated that I had 1 shot and 1 margarita....no more, no less.....Please stop making up your own scenarios.

So, the OP is really only accusing the establishment of "scamming" him out of a few dollars...right? One dollar or one million....a thief is a thief.....Perhaps you can write one of your scenarios and establish what the dollar amount has to be?

All I was suggesting, is this very easily might have been more of a misunderstanding than anything else...Wonder why you keep suggesting that scenario....I know you are an attorney.....Are you a defense attorney? Some of my close friends are and they don't assume as much as you do.

There is a possibility the OP actually lost track and had more drinks than he thought? Or that one of his friends' drinks was mistakenly put on his tab? Or quite very easily, the OP did not pay much attention to exactly what he had ordered...Yes, some Tequila shots can easily cost $20 a shot, $30 a shot or more.......Another one of your scenarios....Now you are suggesting that I had more to drink than I did.....WHY???......How about including one of your assumptations that what I have stated was what happened.....I have stated that the manager kept adjusting his figures for (once again) 2 margaritas, 2 shots and chips and dip...Once again, I had one shot and one margarita. Can you not assume that what I have stated is correct, rather than stating that I lost time......Come on, I had 1 margarita and 1 shot.....quit trying to lead this board into false scenarios. If I got all the other couples to "testify" that I was not drunk and had all my facilities, would you then stop making up these assumptations?

Nowhere does the OP tell us precisely what he ordered or precisely what the price was supposed to have been...I really don't think he was paying that much attention... FALSE, I stated that we had 2 shots and 2 margaritas....As for not paying attention, perhaps you should go back and read my post and then you will have to retract that incorrect assumptation........Please go back and READ.....

I cannot tell you how many times my wife has ordered a "glass of white wine" without specifying which kind and the server will suggest "the Chardonay? The Chablis?" and my wife will pick one without thinking and it turns out to be a $25 glass rather than the $8 house wine she is expecting...And this happens in well known restaurants here in the US...not in tourist bars in Mexico...Happen to myself also....lol....However, the other couples had the same shots and now my sister tells me they paid $4.00 each for theirs....Same bottle, same server......

The point is it is YOU that has to know what you are ordering...and if YOU don't pay attention, you can very easily find out that you have just run up a $70 tab in only 4 drinks...True...but why was the other couples drinks and shots not as expensive....same server, same bottle....Once again, assuming that I was not paying attention.....The only attorneys that I have seen assume so much for the other side, are defense attorneys.....Just curious?

And, when that happens, YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SCAMMED...You have been careless...and you only have yourself to blame...Quite a obvious statement, don't you think?...However, YOU are basing your theory on YOUR assumptations.

When you order a drink, be very precise what you order...First ask "How much for a shot of tequila?" And don't order it until you AGREE on a specific tequila and an exact price. TRUE.....thats what I want to come out of this post. Finally a correct statement from you, without assuming.......

I am not being mean or heartless for not believing that the OP was necessarily scammed. I just don't think that a REPUTABLE long established and popular bar or eatery that thrives on its reputation among tourists is wasting all that to scam one American tourist out of just a few dollars...I'm sure you are not mean or heartless....I read all of the posts that were offered to you when your Father passed.....You are well liked and respected by several CC menbers........However, if a waiter does this several times a day,to a few tourists, he makes a ton of extra dollars....I'm waiting to see how many complaints the BBB has on them....THEM not being the company, but rather the employees. I'm sure that this is not company policy to allow ANY of their employees to steal......

Since you enjoy assuming so much, please let me know your theory of a more reasonable explanation.

Anyway, Steve, let's stop this.......I was there, YOU were not....and please stop using the word "NEVER". I've read your posts from other sites and I know that you are a very respected member of this site. I see that you also like Disneyland.....Met my wife there 39 years ago...........Been there 100's of times.....You can now probably figure out what city I retired from. Trust me, a company can be honest, but a few employees can be dishonest. Perhaps you can assume that in one of your scenarios for me....OK.......I've read some of your posts on cruises and they have been very helpful in making a decision for our next cruise. I'll offer to buy you a DOD also.....Once again, my post was just to get people to not run a tab.....A company this large, must be doing something correct, but a dishonest employee must be reported.......I can see you continuing this if you represent this company, but I don't think that is the case...(IS IT) ...I'll look forward to reading your informative reviews...... Go CalState Fullerton.....lol.....Jerry:)

"Holy Cow!"???

"Negative"???

"Cranky"???

Let me ask this:

Whya are the folks who think there's a reasonable explanation for this...that it's likely that there was no "scam"...That businesses in Mexico are not continually trying to pull a fast one on everybody...and that most folks can feel comfortable patronizing these businesses (while, obviously, being cautious as they should EVERYWHERE--even back here at home) be considered "negative" or "cranky"...

...but those who complain about being scammed...who think Mexican businesses are out to scam unsuspecting tourists...and that they employ "goons"...and the people who want to chime in and boycott businesses...that THOSE folks are the "good" people?

Well, excuse me...

But the OP fully explained HIS version of the scenario...and it has some major holes...

>>WARNING.......we were there around noon with 8 couples.....for my wife and I, we had 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip......they charged the two of us $70.00 US......when I asked to speak to a manager, he (the manager) tried to take me back into the kitchen area with 2 goons......I had to pay to get out of there and when I returned to my table, my camera was gone......the manager then followed us outside with more goons and demanded $12.00 more.....We are senior citizens and I paid.....if you go there, do not run a tab....pay as you go.....I am writing to the police, the mayor, the governor, carnival and all that I can talk with......love mexico, love the people, this was our first bad experience in mexico.....if anyone is interested, I can explaine more....I have read prior posts about this place and now I have experienced the reason to stay clear of this place.....<<

How much were the drinks SUPPOSED to have cost?

How much were the shots SUPPOSED to have cost?

Someone asked if the prices were posted...and he responded yes...But NO Bar "posts" all the prices for all the liquors and drinks they serve...and, if so, what were they? Does he even know which liquor was in the shots he drank?

All I am saying is that it sounds like the OP doesn't really know what he ordered or what the actual price should have been...

>>I know that $58.00 US was too much for 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip...<<

This is a supposition...He thinks he knows what a nondescript 2 drinks and 2 shots should cost...But, most folks should know that it depends on WHAT you are drinking...and it is fairly apparent that he doesn't know...or he would have said "We had two house brand common Margaritas and 2 shots of Cuervo Silver"...There are major difference between tequila brands and tequila types...Again, $70 may have been a VERY ACCURATE price...

This guy says he was in a group of EIGHT couples...and somehow NOBODY else in the group though they were being "scammed"...

So, why him?

He tells us his theory in a subsequent post:

>>.....this was a planned attack to steal $ and my camera...<<

And here credibility flies right out the window...

It's a "planned attack" to steal his camera! Yes...They KNEW that if they overcharged him a few bucks that he would get up and leave his camera on the table...They knew he wouldn't pick it up as he walked with them...they knew his wife wouldn't hold the camera...or one of the 14 other people in his party...Yup...They said..."See that tourist with the camera? Yeah...let's steal the camera...How do we do THAT? I know...We'll charge him $25 a shot for $10 tequila...and he'll get up and leave the camera where we can steal it...right out from under the noses of his wife and those 14 other friends of his!!!"

I am sorry friends, but I am not the "crank" here...

I really appreciate warnings about real scams on these boards...

But, I am also naturally skeptical when I see things that don't make that much sense...

This guy called the restaurant manager a "Thief" to his face (And ADMITS to having done that)...he accused him of stealing his money and camera...He called the restaurant employees "goons"... I think the manager showed incredible restraint...He did not "steal" the guy's money or camera. He only wanted him to settle the bill. And, after hearing the one-sided account, I believe the bill was legitimate.

The OP was angry. He thought the bill sounded high...though I think, from his own testimony that he doesn't really know this as a certainty. He is angry that he lost his camera (and later admits to this being his own carelessness...but earlier in the thread he stated it was a PLANNED theft by the restaurant personnel)...He lost his vacation photos...

I think the OP is "cranky" and "negative"...He ran up a bill that he didn't want to pay...he lost his camera and vacation photos...and he acted like an "Ugly American"...he caused a scene that required the manager to try to lead him into some privacy...he called the manager and other employees names...he publically libeled them (and yes, calling someone a thief and attempting to damage their business and reputation is Libel)...

And, after returning home, he would not let it go...He came to this board and disparaged the business...He has told people to stay away from the place:

"I have read prior posts about this place and now I have experienced the reason to stay clear of this place..."

Those of you other negative folks can call ME names, but I have learned over the years of reading these boards...Angry people like to come here and complain...and lots of folks here buy the act...

I don't...

"Holy Cow!"???

"Negative"???

"Cranky"???

Let me ask this:

Whya are the folks who think there's a reasonable explanation for this...that it's likely that there was no "scam"...That businesses in Mexico are not continually trying to pull a fast one on everybody...and that most folks can feel comfortable patronizing these businesses (while, obviously, being cautious as they should EVERYWHERE--even back here at home) be considered "negative" or "cranky"...

...but those who complain about being scammed...who think Mexican businesses are out to scam unsuspecting tourists...and that they employ "goons"...and the people who want to chime in and boycott businesses...that THOSE folks are the "good" people?

Well, excuse me...

But the OP fully explained HIS version of the scenario...and it has some major holes...

>>WARNING.......we were there around noon with 8 couples.....for my wife and I, we had 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip......they charged the two of us $70.00 US......when I asked to speak to a manager, he (the manager) tried to take me back into the kitchen area with 2 goons......I had to pay to get out of there and when I returned to my table, my camera was gone......the manager then followed us outside with more goons and demanded $12.00 more.....We are senior citizens and I paid.....if you go there, do not run a tab....pay as you go.....I am writing to the police, the mayor, the governor, carnival and all that I can talk with......love mexico, love the people, this was our first bad experience in mexico.....if anyone is interested, I can explaine more....I have read prior posts about this place and now I have experienced the reason to stay clear of this place.....<<

How much were the drinks SUPPOSED to have cost?

How much were the shots SUPPOSED to have cost?

Someone asked if the prices were posted...and he responded yes...But NO Bar "posts" all the prices for all the liquors and drinks they serve...and, if so, what were they? Does he even know which liquor was in the shots he drank?

All I am saying is that it sounds like the OP doesn't really know what he ordered or what the actual price should have been...

>>I know that $58.00 US was too much for 2 drinks, 2 shots and chips and dip...<<

This is a supposition...He thinks he knows what a nondescript 2 drinks and 2 shots should cost...But, most folks should know that it depends on WHAT you are drinking...and it is fairly apparent that he doesn't know...or he would have said "We had two house brand common Margaritas and 2 shots of Cuervo Silver"...There are major difference between tequila brands and tequila types...Again, $70 may have been a VERY ACCURATE price...

This guy says he was in a group of EIGHT couples...and somehow NOBODY else in the group though they were being "scammed"...

So, why him?

He tells us his theory in a subsequent post:

>>.....this was a planned attack to steal $ and my camera...<<

And here credibility flies right out the window...

It's a "planned attack" to steal his camera! Yes...They KNEW that if they overcharged him a few bucks that he would get up and leave his camera on the table...They knew he wouldn't pick it up as he walked with them...they knew his wife wouldn't hold the camera...or one of the 14 other people in his party...Yup...They said..."See that tourist with the camera? Yeah...let's steal the camera...How do we do THAT? I know...We'll charge him $25 a shot for $10 tequila...and he'll get up and leave the camera where we can steal it...right out from under the noses of his wife and those 14 other friends of his!!!"

I am sorry friends, but I am not the "crank" here...

I really appreciate warnings about real scams on these boards...

But, I am also naturally skeptical when I see things that don't make that much sense...

This guy called the restaurant manager a "Thief" to his face (And ADMITS to having done that)...he accused him of stealing his money and camera...He called the restaurant employees "goons"... I think the manager showed incredible restraint...He did not "steal" the guy's money or camera. He only wanted him to settle the bill. And, after hearing the one-sided account, I believe the bill was legitimate.

The OP was angry. He thought the bill sounded high...though I think, from his own testimony that he doesn't really know this as a certainty. He is angry that he lost his camera (and later admits to this being his own carelessness...but earlier in the thread he stated it was a PLANNED theft by the restaurant personnel)...He lost his vacation photos...

I think the OP is "cranky" and "negative"...He ran up a bill that he didn't want to pay...he lost his camera and vacation photos...and he acted like an "Ugly American"...he caused a scene that required the manager to try to lead him into some privacy...he called the manager and other employees names...he publically libeled them (and yes, calling someone a thief and attempting to damage their business and reputation is Libel)...

And, after returning home, he would not let it go...He came to this board and disparaged the business...He has told people to stay away from the place:

"I have read prior posts about this place and now I have experienced the reason to stay clear of this place..."

Those of you other negative folks can call ME names, but I have learned over the years of reading these boards...Angry people like to come here and complain...and lots of folks here buy the act...

I don't...

WOW.....talk about angry. i'm loosing my respect for you....Is that legal to say.....lol.....I didn'[t arrest you sometime in the past, did I? You just keep assuming and making up scenarios.......I've changed my mind on buying you that DOD.......You can lead a horse to the water........lol.....to all the other CC members that seem to understand, :) ignore him and move on

Since you enjoy assuming so much, please let me know your theory of a more reasonable explanation.

Anyway, Steve, let's stop this.......I was there, YOU were not....and please stop using the word "NEVER". I've read your posts from other sites and I know that you are a very respected member of this site. I see that you also like Disneyland.....Met my wife there 39 years ago...........Been there 100's of times.....You can now probably figure out what city I retired from. Trust me, a company can be honest, but a few employees can be dishonest. Perhaps you can assume that in one of your scenarios for me....OK.......I've read some of your posts on cruises and they have been very helpful in making a decision for our next cruise. I'll offer to buy you a DOD also.....Once again, my post was just to get people to not run a tab.....A company this large, must be doing something correct, but a dishonest employee must be reported.......I can see you continuing this if you represent this company, but I don't think that is the case...(IS IT) ...I'll look forward to reading your informative reviews...... Go CalState Fullerton.....lol.....Jerry:)

Jerry,

First, let me say I was composing my last post during the time you were posting yours...so I had not yet read it...

I appreciate the conciliatory tone...and I want you to know it was nothing personal...I was actually more taking offense at the others who were calling my views cranky or negative......

Yes, I am an attorney, but not a litigator--I'm a transactional real estate attorney...but part of my training and background sort of requires me to envision BOTH sides of any controversy...You never know which side you might be representing...So, I tend to take a "Devil's Advocate" approach: You analyze the other side's case and punch holes in it...

To put it simply, I can see that you believe the tab was high...and that the restaurant manager perceived the tab as legitimate...And it is very well possible both of you may have rationaly believed yoursellves to be correct...

At that point, we have what we in the legal business call "your word against mine"...Without the waiter or bartender saying "I made a mistake", the manager has no reason to do anything but ask for payment...I'd guess he's experienced his share of tourists skipping out of bills...

It's all rather unfortunate...

Heck...I was in Madrid pre-cruise in 2005 and after eating several Spanish dinners in a row, we decided to go to Tony Roma's...a restaurant we frequent quite often back here in SoCal...They even offered us an English menu...which read just like the ones back home...The dinners all said "comes with 2 sides"...So, I ordered my BBQ baby backs with corn and a baked potato and my wife ordered her steak with a baked potato and cole slaw...Both were brought to the table with fries and cole slaw...We told them that wasn't what we ordered...and they came back with our orders correct...

When the bill came, we were charged for the two dinners...plus an extra charge for two baked potatoes and for one corn on the cob...

I complained...

The manager told me the sides were extra...

I showed her the menu which says "Comes with two sides"...

She told me "Yes, the two sides are fries and cole slaw"...

WE discussed it CALMLY, but she would not back down...

I paid the bill...I do not get overly excited over a few dollars...Life is too short...

When we returned home from the trip, I wrote a letter to Tony Roma's corporate headquarters--with specific detail.

I received a letter back from the COO...with a $50 gift certificate enclosed...

My advice, other than paying close attention to things as the occur...is to keep your cool...Do not insult the manager...not in HIS country...

Take care...

Jerry,

First, let me say I was composing my last post during the time you were posting yours...so I had not yet read it...

I appreciate the conciliatory tone...and I want you to know it was nothing personal...I was actually more taking offense at the others who were calling my views cranky or negative......

Yes, I am an attorney, but not a litigator--I'm a transactional real estate attorney...but part of my training and background sort of requires me to envision BOTH sides of any controversy...You never know which side you might be representing...So, I tend to take a "Devil's Advocate" approach: You analyze the other side's case and punch holes in it...

To put it simply, I can see that you believe the tab was high...and that the restaurant manager perceived the tab as legitimate...And it is very well possible both of you may have rationaly believed yoursellves to be correct...

At that point, we have what we in the legal business call "your word against mine"...Without the waiter or bartender saying "I made a mistake", the manager has no reason to do anything but ask for payment...I'd guess he's experienced his share of tourists skipping out of bills...

It's all rather unfortunate...

Heck...I was in Madrid pre-cruise in 2005 and after eating several Spanish dinners in a row, we decided to go to Tony Roma's...a restaurant we frequent quite often back here in SoCal...They even offered us an English menu...which read just like the ones back home...The dinners all said "comes with 2 sides"...So, I ordered my BBQ baby backs with corn and a baked potato and my wife ordered her steak with a baked potato and cole slaw...Both were brought to the table with fries and cole slaw...We told them that wasn't what we ordered...and they came back with our orders correct...

When the bill came, we were charged for the two dinners...plus an extra charge for two baked potatoes and for one corn on the cob...

I complained...

The manager told me the sides were extra...

I showed her the menu which says "Comes with two sides"...

She told me "Yes, the two sides are fries and cole slaw"...

WE discussed it CALMLY, but she would not back down...

I paid the bill...I do not get overly excited over a few dollars...Life is too short...

When we returned home from the trip, I wrote a letter to Tony Roma's corporate headquarters--with specific detail.

I received a letter back from the COO...with a $50 gift certificate enclosed...

My advice, other than paying close attention to things as the occur...is to keep your cool...Do not insult the manager...not in HIS country...

Take care...

Guess you had to have been there Steve....I NEVER get angry, been involved with too many of my own scenarios in my life....However, I will call a thief a thief....If you had only seen the way he kept trying to adjust the figures, you would not be trying to defend him.....yes, I know it's the attorney in you.....lol....anyway, once again, lets stop this.....I know there is always THREE sides to everything.....yours, mine and then what really happen.....I hope this ends this :)

Although we love Mexico....they will mess with you at the bars. We have experienced it a couple of times. When we were in Cozumel we ran a tab at a resort and they tried to charge us more. Also our friend gave the bartender at Senor Frogs a $20 for a beer and they tried to give him change for a $10. He called them on it and received the right change back. We now never never run a tab there.

Just think about it. How many people come off the ship run a tab at a bar proceed to get hammered and don't keep track of their purchases.;)

I guess my post got lost :o You are really naive to think this does not happen. My post above I said it happened to us a couple of times. Yes Steve......Senor Frogs is a well established business. We were also in Cabo last August at the Mango Deck on Medano beach and this time we payed as we ordered. The couple sitting next to us told us they ran a tab and got ripped off. We told them that is why we don't run a tab anymore.

Some people just don't believe anything unless it happens to them:rolleyes:

What have you done to my horse! Does this mean.... ummm... its over? Boo Hoo Hoo

Hahahaa

Hey Wylie.....thanks for your support.....almost time for your cruise.....I'm sure you will throughly enjoy your cruise.....let us know how it was when you return, just be sure to not complain....lol.....sure could use one of those DOD about now.....anyway, take care...looking to hear all about your cruise when you return......The weather seems like it is getting warmer, let's hope so.....take care:)

Luv2travel#2, thanks for the heads up.

Mexico is a beautiful country with lots of lovely, friendly, honest people. It is my favorite destination (both east and west coast). Unfortunately, every country has its scammers, and you were unlucky enough to meet some of them on your last cruise. Using CC to warn folks about the potential for a problem is one of the great features of this forum, and I appreciate the fact that you shared your experience with us.

BTW, I think Steve was just offering up POSSIBLE scenarios of what might have happened (even if he did come across as sounding negative and cranky;) ).

Hey Wylie.....thanks for your support.....almost time for your cruise.....I'm sure you will throughly enjoy your cruise.....let us know how it was when you return, just be sure to not complain....lol.....sure could use one of those DOD about now.....anyway, take care...looking to hear all about your cruise when you return......The weather seems like it is getting warmer, let's hope so.....take care:)

Thanks. we are planning to have a great time. After reading your review of the Pride in the Carnival thread, I am sure the cruise is going to be great fun and we are really getting excited as the date gets closer - bought new shoes today to go with my new Tuxedo. I will be sure to let you know how much fun we had and how many DODs I managed to enjoy. :D

I will also be sure to tell the bartender on the Lido deck the DOD came highly recommended by you!

What I don't understand is why anyone would go to any of those chain bar/restaurants? What's the attraction, when there are local establishments with some character? I don't get it.

Ahhhh...there's an easy answer for that one...

I take it you don't visit Mexico often? Or have an exceedingly strong digestive system perhaps?

The tourist-oriented places in Mexico all tend to purchase water filtration systems--which they use on ALL of the water for the restaurant--drinking water, ice cubes, recipes and what they wash the glass and dishwear and the vegetables in...When you are drinking those large frozen Margaritas, this can be very important...

A lot of those "local places with character" give you a lot more than character...

There's really nothing wrong with the local, untreated water...except that OUR systems are not accustomed to it...it contains microorganisms which the locals have built up immunities to...

For us, they cause the famous "Montezuma's Revenge"...

So, the safe thing to do in Mexico is to only eat or drink at the "tourist joints"...if in doubt, inquire about water filtration and use.

Do not purchase food or drink from local shops or from street vendors...or if you purchase a soft drink from a street vendor, drink it straight from the bottleor can--do not let them pour it over ice for you...

I've followed this thread with interest as I have been to the Senor Frogs in Mazatlan. Although we had no problem, I can easily see how a couple of unscrupulous employees might be able to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists. As someone with a law enforcement background I'm pretty confident that you can spot a scam and thief when you see one and I for one appreciate you sharing your experience for the benefit of the rest of us. I never read that you were telling people to stay away, but just reminding them to be cautious and avoid running a tab which is really pretty darned good advise.

I guess you didn't count on having your experience cross-examined in such excruciating detail, but I think you have held your own quite nicely! While I agree this board is a great place for friendly debate, I sometimes think we go a little overboard in that department.

I've followed this thread with interest as I have been to the Senor Frogs in Mazatlan. Although we had no problem, I can easily see how a couple of unscrupulous employees might be able to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists. As someone with a law enforcement background I'm pretty confident that you can spot a scam and thief when you see one and I for one appreciate you sharing your experience for the benefit of the rest of us. I never read that you were telling people to stay away, but just reminding them to be cautious and avoid running a tab which is really pretty darned good advise.

I guess you didn't count on having your experience cross-examined in such excruciating detail, but I think you have held your own quite nicely! While I agree this board is a great place for friendly debate, I sometimes think we go a little overboard in that department.

Thanks Mary....Since this is my post, may I ask you a question? I noticed that you just cruised Hawaii....Our Mexican Riviera cruise was our first cruise and we now know that we want to cruise more. Hawaii is the only state that we have not visited or lived in. We want to experience what different cruise lines have to offer....So......Since you just cruised Hawaii, would you share some of your thoughts with me.....Would you recommend the cruise line that you traveled with?....Looking back (hind-sight) would you have done that trip differently or with any other ship, or in any other way? Thanks for sharing....I'll check back later.....:)

Archived