Cruise Critic Community
quiesedba41

The on going saga of tipping

I don't understand why you're so insistent to take the tips off, after people said they will have to report it and put it into the pool, so really, they're not keeping all that tip anyway. Leave the autotips in place, and then, if you want to tip the people that worked for you, you can do this in addition and they won't have to report it and can keep all that extra money. Seems like a better way to do it. There are other people who work for you that you may not directly see. So why tip just to those you do see, especially since they will have to just give it right back into the tip pool?

I have worked for tips before making anywhere from 50 to 300 per shift.....You guys are right I have never been on a ship. and maybe its not for me if it means handing out money for the sake of handing out money.

After some thought I will most likely keep the auto tip on, so that I do not have the hassle of having to turn around and tip someone all the time. but I wonder how great my service will be when they know they are getting their money anyway. So let me ask you this, when they do a crappy job what recourse do I have?

What's wrong with me trying to get the most out of my money?

I am getting about sick of the poor posters who go on and on about the poor staff on a cruise ship, hey if they don't like they can get another job.

It seems to me most of you cruise folks a bleeding heart liberals.......

Honestly, I feel all things except drinks should be inclusive and just raise the price of the cruise......at least you know that your not getting nickled and dimed to death.

I can sum it up for you this way, You know when you go into a resturant and they add 15% gart to a party of 8 or more......I always chuckle, because they way I see it since you are forcing me to tip before service is rendered then you get 15%. BUT if you do a good job I have been know to tip 30-40% But I guess they will never know.

So since I'm so ignorant, but after readin these post am I to assume all of these cruise staff folks are from 3rd world countries? So now your telling no one speaks English?

Rest assurred if I get good service I will tip according. and if there isn't an out break of disease on board and no one gets hurt I might tip even more

Have you not realized that I'm doing this for my family, they want to go. It's driving me nuts thinking about the money I'm spending and the interest I'm losing.

Happy KS...My post above was not an arguement. You're right, if you do not drink alcohol you tip close to nothing. However, I do leave the automatic gratuity on my ship board account. I just think for those of us that do drink, you can see that the 15% gratuity on all alcoholic beverages does add up. It was just something to think about. Hey, if it was up to me I would definitely pay for an all-inclusive cruise where alcoholic beverages were included in the price. Even though I do feel the cruise lines are always trying to nickel & dime you, it doesn't change how I feel about cruising. There was a recent article that Arthur Frommer wrote about how he was not pleased with how the cruise lines sometimes try to nickel & dime you to death. Arthur Frommer is a reputable and well known author who has also written a ton of books on all types of travel, including cruising.

Look, I'm not trying to create a debate. We all know that this is one of many controversial topics among cruise travelers. I personally just enjoy everyone's perspective.

jcruise

Quiesedba,

Consider the laborers serving your food at the breakfast and lunch buffets, or the ice cream vendor, or the poolside grill. They too are providing a service and cannot realistically take a tip while they are observing the highest degree of food safety regiments.

Consider the sommelier or the assistant head waiter, or the maitre 'd. You may or may not use their services but they are also there to serve you.

Consider the assistant head of housekeeping and the head of housekeeping. After over 25 cruises I can assure you they may not knock on your cabin door every day but they are there for you too.

Lazy people do not work for you on a cruise ship. You may find employees that are quiet and do not attract attention but they do their jobs with determination.

Please start to chill before you board the ship. Cruising on a short cruise is all about relaxing and refocusing....and planning the next one.

MichellP is so thoughtful, please re-read her post.

????

Rest assurred if I get good service I will tip according. and if there isn't an out break of disease on board and no one gets hurt I might tip even more

Despite your protests on being called out for thinking of cancelling the autotip, I suspect you are either cheap or a troll. You've had great advice on several of your questions - why bother asking if you aren't interested in experienced cruisers' opinions?

Have you not realized that I'm doing this for my family, they want to go. It's driving me nuts thinking about the money I'm spending and the interest I'm losing.

Why don't you just go with the "program" instead of looking for all the ways to convince us you don't plan on stiffing the crew.

Your agruments convince me you are just trying to rationalize a reason not to go with the "program"..... and as such will plan on stiffing the crew on auto-tips... thinking it won't harm them...... sorry to tell you....it will.

I don't mind tipping. We have taking 2 cruises and have prepaid our tips each time. We've never used room service.

We are going on the Inspiration in the Spring. How does room service tipping work when you've already prepaid tip? We've never used room service because I wasn't sure how it worked. Do they add a 15% tip on top of the prepaid tip for room service? :confused: 15% of WHAT? We do not drink alcohol, and we purchase a coke card.

FWIW, I like autotipping. Takes the guess work out of who, when, how much, etc. I just calculated it in as part of the cruise price.

Do have one question tho. When I tip my steward, or bartender, waiter etc extra, do they have to put that in the tip pool?

I don't mind tipping. We have taking 2 cruises and have prepaid our tips each time. We've never used room service.

We are going on the Inspiration in the Spring. How does room service tipping work when you've already prepaid tip? We've never used room service because I wasn't sure how it worked. Do they add a 15% tip on top of the prepaid tip for room service? :confused: 15% of WHAT? We do not drink alcohol, and we purchase a coke card.

Tipping for room service is usually just a few dollars. They do not add a 15% tip on top of the prepaid tips. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I don't think you really want to cruise but, as you say, you are doing it for your family which is very commendable. However, maybe you should have a family discussion, give them the pros and cons (enjoyment v cost). Would some of your older children be prepared to help with the cost?

All I can say is that if you go on the cruise and spend the time worrying about how much it cost you then you won't be able to enjoy it propery. The purpose of a cruise IMO should be for total relaxation.:)

i haven't read the entire thread but i will say that these people don't care if they have face time with you to get their money. that only serves to make YOU feel better.

they work their rear ends off and just want their MONEY. if you want to go above and beyond then take the time to write their name on the comment cards or send a letter regarding outstanding service to the corporate office.

i doubt anyone on this board would work so hard for so little.

trust me when i say that those few lazy workers will eventually lose their jobs so don't worry about them getting their 50 cent share of your $10 per day.

FWIW, I like autotipping. Takes the guess work out of who, when, how much, etc. I just calculated it in as part of the cruise price.

Do have one question tho. When I tip my steward, or bartender, waiter etc extra, do they have to put that in the tip pool?

No, when autotips are left in place, extra tips in cash can be kept by the people you give them to. Have a great cruise!

<snip>

After some thought I will most likely keep the auto tip on, so that I do not have the hassle of having to turn around and tip someone all the time. but I wonder how great my service will be when they know they are getting their money anyway. So let me ask you this, when they do a crappy job what recourse do I have?

<snip>

So since I'm so ignorant, but after readin these post am I to assume all of these cruise staff folks are from 3rd world countries? So now your telling no one speaks English?

I think you are going to be surprised at the level of service you receive on the ship, to be honest. Having cruised both before and after autotips were implemented, I truly haven't seen any difference in the level of service before and after. However, IF you encounter an employee who does a "crappy job" you DO have recourse. THEN stop by the front desk, and speak to the manager on duty or the hotel director about the problems you are having. If they can't resolve them, then discuss how you can adjust your autotips to exclude that employee.

Most lines have a way to do this in the event that bad service is encountered -- plus it's helpful to management if you let them know they have an employee who is a problem. It also adds weight to your concerns over that employee if you haven't removed tips in general, because then you are sending the message that concerns with this employee were so serious, you are willing to take time out of your vacation to have the issues addressed.

Most "face" employees on cruise ships sailing to and from the United States speak English -- some better than others, but I'm sure you'll be able to make yourself understood. Have a great cruise!

We do too. It also makes sure others whom you are not aware of that have helped your steward or waiters are also "tipped"

They do if you leave auto tip on. IF you take it off, even if you tip above the standard they have to "pool" the entire amount. So if you want to tip above the standard (which we almost always do) then the only way you can be sure they get to keep it for themselves is leave the auto tip on. We even go so far a putting our cabin # and names on the envelope so they can verify we left the auto tip on.

I'm dumbfouded that posters have not seen the "pattern" this OP has posted. Please check out this OP's other posts . IMO this poster can NOT afford to cruise......Can't afford to get a passport and works for the Federal Government and doesn't understand why RCI needs a Passport and wants to eliminate tipping. Good Grief!

Typical USA Government Employee....IMO. Works as little as possible, doesn't know anything and expects me to pay their wages for NON service. JMO.

Winnie <-----> lowlife FARMER who helps feed the world

What about if you're travelling with a young baby? Our 14month old will be paying full adult fare and classed as a passenger for auto gratuity, but will not actually be using too many services! Would I ask for that auto tip to be removed?

I am cruising NCL in 2 months and read that they do not include the Auto Tip for any passenger under 3 years old. My daughter is 2.

I probably should just stay out of this but I don't like the idea of auto tipping. Gratuities should be earned and not just to be expected.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines gratuity as "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Prior to becoming an RN, I, in fact, worked in the service industry as a food server and cocktail waitress, I do understand that wages paid are lower and those in the service industry rely on tips. However, they must still be earned. I absolutely refuse to tip those who do not provide good service. I am not cheap by any means and I will always tip well provided the service merits it. I realize that there are some who always "stiff" service providers but that is not my problem. I should not be made responsible for those guests. I have never "stiffed" someone who provided service to me. I instead based the tip upon the service given.

I probably should just stay out of this but I don't like the idea of auto tipping. Gratuities should be earned and not just to be expected.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines gratuity as "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Prior to becoming an RN, I, in fact, worked in the service industry as a food server and cocktail waitress, I do understand that wages paid are lower and those in the service industry rely on tips. However, they must still be earned. I absolutely refuse to tip those who do not provide good service. I am not cheap by any means and I will always tip well provided the service merits it. I realize that there are some who always "stiff" service providers but that is not my problem. I should not be made responsible for those guests. I have never "stiffed" someone who provided service to me. I instead based the tip upon the service given.

We read this argument, including definitions, a lot here. My take on it is this. 1) You are entitled to your opinion and view of tipping. 2) There is a custom in the cruise industry of tipping. 3) On several lines (the number is continuing to increase) tip pools have been implemented, and they simply aren't true "gratuities" any more, as it's become much more of an auto-billed service charge. At least one cruise line even calls it that now.

So I think you have 3 reasonable options, and 1 unreasonable one. Option 1: Cruise a line that includes, or doesn't permit, tips, such as Seabourn. Option 2: Cruise a line that doesn't use an auto-tip program, and still gives you envelopes, etc. -- not sure who that would be? Option 3: Cruise an autotip line, adhere to the established practice on that line, and tip extra if someone gives you extraordinary service.

Those were the reasonable options. The unreasonable one is this: Cruise on an autotip line and buck the system, remove tips up front before anybody has furnished you any service, good or bad, give the crew a hard time with their managers by your actions, tip a few people at the end in cash (at least you claim you will), so they are forced to turn it back into the tip pool, and thereby accomplish exactly NOTHING.

I personally consider that option unreasonable because if you book a cruise knowing the policy, knowing the expectations of those who will serve you, and still decide to spend your vacation bucking the "system," I think that's an unreasonable use of one's vacation time, to achieve the same end product (unless of course, you stiff servers less than the recommended daily amount, in which case you will pay less than the auto tip amount). Using your vacation time that way, even if it does save you a few bucks when you don't pay the daily recommended amount, is unreasonable in my view. Heck, one reason I love the new system is that I no longer have to spend my last afternoon of cruise vacation time counting out bills, making sure I have the right amounts, allocating them to envelopes, then tracking people down!

I'd never quarrel with your right to have an opinion, whether moral or financial, on tipping. I just don't understand why you'd still opt to sail with a company that disagrees with your opinion?*

*Unless, of course, it's because their cruise fares are cheaper -- I wonder why that might be the case? Because surely if they just paid their employees more instead of using a tip pool, to appease those who object to pooled tips, the cruise fare wouldn't go UP... would it? :rolleyes:

Well, count me in the great minority here. I would immediatley take-off the auto-tips. Before I get personally attacked, here are some facts you may want to consider.

My wife & I are experienced travelers. Perhaps not as many trips as many on these boards, but we've traveled Europe & South America frequently. Numerous cruises as well. We ALWAYS tip above the suggested amount. Only once have we violated this rule. On a RCL cruise we had a beautiful suite with only one small problem. Two bulbs were burned-out from day one. It took THREE FULL DAYS & numerous requests to get this corrected. Tip was reduced accordingly.

Would I go into a restaurant & pretip the staff? I don't think so. So why in the world would I tip in advance of receiving an acceptable level of service? I know, I know, people stiff the staff. That is very unfortunate & indeed unacceptable. But people in all walks of life repeatedly fail to live up to expectations. Happens every day. I'll take responsibility for the actions of my wife & I but that's where it ends.

A certain percentage of cruisers simply will not tip. So be it. I realize that virtually all the staff relies of this compensation to provide for themselves & their families. Just like service workers here in the States. We simply cannot legislate responsibilty. I truly believe that most people tend to do the "Right thing" most of the time. The staff should realize that on occasion someone will slip away w/o compensating them. Doesn't this happen to all of us from time to time?

In summary, I've taken far too long to get to the point. I don't tip in advance. The cruise line "Suggest" that this is policy. Fine. Most folks don't have a problem with this. I do. GREAT TIPS for appropriate service once the task is completed.

Simply one man's opinion. Thanks for reading. Stay well.

Well, count me in the great minority here. I would immediatley take-off the auto-tips. Before I get personally attacked, here are some facts you may want to consider.

My wife & I are experienced travelers. Perhaps not as many trips as many on these boards, but we've traveled Europe & South America frequently. Numerous cruises as well. We ALWAYS tip above the suggested amount. Only once have we violated this rule. On a RCL cruise we had a beautiful suite with only one small problem. Two bulbs were burned-out from day one. It took THREE FULL DAYS & numerous requests to get this corrected. Tip was reduced accordingly.

Would I go into a restaurant & pretip the staff? I don't think so. So why in the world would I tip in advance of receiving an acceptable level of service? I know, I know, people stiff the staff. That is very unfortunate & indeed unacceptable. But people in all walks of life repeatedly fail to live up to expectations. Happens every day. I'll take responsibility for the actions of my wife & I but that's where it ends.

A certain percentage of cruisers simply will not tip. So be it. I realize that virtually all the staff relies of this compensation to provide for themselves & their families. Just like service workers here in the States. We simply cannot legislate responsibilty. I truly believe that most people tend to do the "Right thing" most of the time. The staff should realize that on occasion someone will slip away w/o compensating them. Doesn't this happen to all of us from time to time?

In summary, I've taken far too long to get to the point. I don't tip in advance. The cruise line "Suggest" that this is policy. Fine. Most folks don't have a problem with this. I do. GREAT TIPS for appropriate service once the task is completed.

Simply one man's opinion. Thanks for reading. Stay well.

And my question in return, as I acknowledge that you have every right to your view. Why WOULDN'T you take another cruiseline, since taking one with autotips, or "tipping in advance," is completely at odds with your world view? You don't like auto tips, you disagree with them, it morally doesn't suit you -- there still are lines out there that don't have them (I think, and I know there are lines with tips included/discouraged), so why not take one of those lines if you must cruise? If you can't find or afford such a line, then why not take a land vacation with a conventional hotel/restaurant set up, so your money point can be made? Nobody is forcing you to take a cruise, and if you can't find a line in your price range without auto tips, perhaps that's a message that cruising isn't for you?

Off topic, thanks for your post, because I learned something. I learned that there are cruisers out there who actually spend days of a vacation in a beautiful suite looking at 2 burnt out bulbs and waiting to see when they'd be replaced, toting up what it would cost those lazy employees on the tip scale until the replacement is done! That one never occurred to me before! Unless (as I hope) this was Swiftian sarcasm at its best and like most normal people, you'd never think of doing such a thing.

< Back to Onboard Extras

I found this today on the RCCL website under frequently asked questions.

Onboard Extras

Print This Page document.getElementById('printablePageSpan').style.visibility = 'visible'; document.getElementById('printablePageSpan').style.display = 'block';

Q:

What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A:

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:

$5.75 USD

a day per guest

Stateroom attendant:

$3.50 USD

a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:

$3.50 USD

a day per guest

Assistant Waiter:

$2.00 USD

a day per guest

Headwaiter:

$.75 USD

a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

Pre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

Added to your onboard SeaPass account.

Paid in cash at the end of the cruise

Apparently RCCL does not entirely disagree with guests who opt not to use autotip since they clearly indicate three options on how gratuities may be paid and a recommended guideline of the amounts. Although, I would have to assume they would prefer autotip for obvious reasons. Note, they do provide envelopes to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. It is not required as you seem to insinuate that guests must use autotip. So no need as you suggested to take another cruise line.

I, as I have stated, have worked in the service industry and it was my JOB to provide a service to guests regardless of whether I was tipped or not. It was irrelevant what my hourly wage was.

I would not tip waitstaff at a restaurant before ordering or being served. I would not tip my hairstylist before my cut and color. I tip housekeeping in my hotel room the mornings after my room is cleaned and before I check out. Why would it be any different because I am on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Makes no sense.

I have no intention of trying to "buck the system". I have never "stiffed" anyone regardless of the service they provided. The service I receive just determines the amount of the tip whether large or small. I don't ask for much either. I am a pretty easy going customer wherever I go.

I am not responsible for those people who say they will tip at the end and never do. Not my problem. Service personnel are fully aware of the hourly wage they are paid prior to accepting a position. Do I feel the wage is too low? Yes, I am sure it is but that is what it is. As I stated before, it is their JOB to provide a service.

Towards the end of the cruise if I feel as if good service was consistently provided during the entire cruise then I will pay at least the guideline amount. But why in the world would anyone ever leave a gratuity amount that wasn't earned.

This is from the RCCL website, the other post didn't come out correctly.

Onboard Extras

Q: What are gratuity guidelines for cruises?

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Suite attendant:$5.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom attendant:$3.50 USD a day per guest

Dining Room Waiter:$3.50 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter:$2.00 USD a day per guest

Headwaiter:$.75 USD a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages.

Gratuities for other service personnel are at your discretion.

A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine check when you are served.

Envelopes for gratuities will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise