Progreso Pier

Ocean Spirit

I read on another post that the pier is 4 1/2 miles long.... That seems really strange to me. Surely you don't have to walk 4 miles to get to land do you?

Yes, the pier is 4 1/2 miles long and no, you don't have to walk. As you get off the ship they take you by bus to a drop off area in town (free of charge) and they run both ways aproximately every 20 minutes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

It was BEAUTIFUL! We arrived in port and docked what appeared to be a two-ship dock. We were on Carnival. The pier was nice concrete and if it was as long as a block or two - it was that and so beautiful. When you walk up the pier their is duty free shopping and some things, including some liquor is reasonable. Everyone is nice. When you leave the store by back door there is a beautiful, newly built outside boutique of many stores - souveniers - two bars one on the beach and one on a bit down the walk. If there were 30 shops there were that many. At the end of the beautiful shopping were FREE SHUTTLES if you want to go to the beach. I saw someone's pictures of the beaches and sorry we missed it. In fact, we plan to go back next year to Progreso to enjoy it more. I could see us living here with the friendliness of the people; the cleanliness and it seemed safe. Restrooms about were clean. I don't know who ever said that it was such a long pier. It is not that long and it is newly done and easy to walk even a woman in a wheelchair was doing it. Have a blast!!! Go Carnival.

Hi. Are you talking about just walking from the ship to the pier shopping area? The rest of the pier is 5 miles , which takes you to town. I really cannot see someone making that trip in a wheechair ?? We have been there many times, so I am a little confused. Are you sure you didn;t mean Cozumel ?:confused:

It was BEAUTIFUL! We arrived in port and docked what appeared to be a two-ship dock. We were on Carnival. The pier was nice concrete and if it was as long as a block or two - it was that and so beautiful. When you walk up the pier their is duty free shopping and some things, including some liquor is reasonable. Everyone is nice. When you leave the store by back door there is a beautiful, newly built outside boutique of many stores - souveniers - two bars one on the beach and one on a bit down the walk. If there were 30 shops there were that many. At the end of the beautiful shopping were FREE SHUTTLES if you want to go to the beach. I saw someone's pictures of the beaches and sorry we missed it. In fact, we plan to go back next year to Progreso to enjoy it more. I could see us living here with the friendliness of the people; the cleanliness and it seemed safe. Restrooms about were clean. I don't know who ever said that it was such a long pier. It is not that long and it is newly done and easy to walk even a woman in a wheelchair was doing it. Have a blast!!! Go Carnival.

Me too think that Live to Cruise! has confused the Pier at Progreso for somewhere else. There is a silt build up around Progreso that makes it impossible to dredge, keep it dredged and to have ships dock closer. The pier is 4 and a half miles long, is a wonder, and can be seen from space. It is one of the reasons that I have wanted to go there.

You see, once upon a time there was a rather large meteor that hit the earth, they say it was so large that the atmosphere changed due to it's destruction. THe dinosaurs took a nose dive at this point in time.

If you do a google earth satalite picture, you can see the impact site in the gulf, and you can see some very VERY shallow water near the deep DEEP section. This silt from this site, and the fact that Progreso get water movement from north. east and western storms, maked a permanet silt area around the town. Hence the long pier.

Archived