Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubbaloo311

Caribbean Princess 9-night

DH and I just booked CB for June 13th - 9-day Eastern Caribbean with Bermuda first stop and 4 sea days.

I was wondering:

1) How many formal nights on a 9-day cruise?

2) Which nights would they be?

3) Does anyone have menus or patters for a 9-night cruise? I would love to decide when we want to book specialty restaurants and when we want to eat in the dining room.

4) Experienced Princess Cruisers - what shows are worth seeing and which can we miss?

We are currently booked for Traditional Dining. I think we'll try it - but if we don't like it or are not crazy about our tablemates - we can always do Anytime Dining on board right? DH has only sailed on NCL so has never done Traditional Dining. I thought it might be worth a try - and it's a great way to meet people.

Thanks for all your input!

Ann

Hi Ann,

We are booked on the Caribbean Princess Sailing right after you, June,22. We are actually sailing on our Anniversary :p I have a lot of the same questions, except the one about Traditional & Anytime Dining. It is my understanding you can not switch back and forth.

I believe you can switch from Traditional to Anytime, however, once you do so, you can not switch back.

Another Anne ;)

Bubbaloo,

If you are not sure whether you will like Traditional Dining, given past experience with NCL, seriously consider switching to Anytime Dining before you leave. That opens up a spot on the Traditional Dining waitlist for someone who is more sure on what they want. As a former Traditional Diner, I was always a little upset when by mid-week on the cruise, the table for 8 we had booked became a table for 4 or even 2, as persons who had chosen Traditional without truly knowing if that is what they wanted, decided that Anytime was more convenient.

We have since switched to booking Anytime and love it - we are always willing to join others at a table, so we never experience a wait. We meet many nice people over the week.

I think the ship could do a much better job of moving people who had waitlisted for Traditional into Traditional, as Traditional diners switch during the week. However, they do not seem to track the switches well - everytime I have done Traditional Dining on Princess in recent years, the Traditional Dining room becomes progressively more empty as the week goes on. It certainly changes the atmosphere for the traditional diners who remain.

OK - rant over. Enjoy your cruise!

I believe you will have 2 formal nights and the shows are all worthwhile if you haven't seen them previously.

Pia

DH and I just booked CB for June 13th - 9-day Eastern Caribbean with Bermuda first stop and 4 sea days.

I was wondering:

1) How many formal nights on a 9-day cruise?

There are 2.

2) Which nights would they be?

Almost sure to be the second night and second-to-last night, which on your itineraray is also a sea day.

3) Does anyone have menus or patters for a 9-night cruise? I would love to decide when we want to book specialty restaurants and when we want to eat in the dining room.

I have my Patters, but it probably won't help you because my itinerary was opposite yours -- Bermuda was last for us. But once onboard, when you go down (or up!) to the speciality restaurant to book, they should have there all the menus or at least be able to tell you the order of the theme nights. Most people try to skip Caribbean Night; I'd skip sailaway myself -- I've always thought that had the most indifferent food choices/quality.

4) Experienced Princess Cruisers - what shows are worth seeing and which can we miss?

Piano Man, What a Swell Party (if you're a Cole Porter fan), the Beatles show (if you're a Beatles fan), and London Pub Night (if you have a high tolerance for silliness, but everyone should experience it once)

We are currently booked for Traditional Dining. I think we'll try it - but if we don't like it or are not crazy about our tablemates - we can always do Anytime Dining on board right? DH has only sailed on NCL so has never done Traditional Dining. I thought it might be worth a try - and it's a great way to meet people.

I'd stick with Traditional -- give your husband a chance to see what the experience is like. I find that tablemates are like chilly swimming pools -- it sometimes takes a couple nights to warm up to them, so don't bail too quickly. Having said that, if you do switch to Anytime, as others have said, it's a one-way switch, you can't switch back to Traditional.

Thanks for all your input!

Our pleasure

Ann

Hope this helps.