• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Enchantment Honeymoon on RCI- Never Again.

leeshajoy

This cruiseline was mediocre AT BEST. The food was like airplane food and our service was not good at all. I understand alot of people on this board might get all worked up at me saying this but I think RCI was horrible.

It was our first cruise and if it wasn't for our BRIEF ports in Cozumel and Belize we would have called it a flop altogether. We are wondeing if all cruises are like this? Maybe its just Royal Carribean.

Food? I normally avoid the buffets (except for breakfast) on all cruiselines we've done. I haven't really had any complaints about the service in the main dining rooms and find it normally great. The food quality in the main dining rooms is usually good but room service normally substandard.

BUT-everyone has their own standards.

I can't compare it to airline food as I haven't been on a plane that had meal service for years.

-Monte

I've noticed that all businesses, no matter how good they are, are not going to please everyone, everyday, all of the time. You may have just hit one of those cruises that just didn't come off right or RCI might not be a cruise line that meets your expectations. As for us, we've taken two RCI cruises and have been happy with both. Food was decent but not as good as I would expect at a 4 or 5 star restaurant but more than adaquate for service for 2,000 in two different seatings. Staff has always been profesional and helpful but we don't have that many needs.

I did note on our last cruise that the wait staff was not as good as the previous cruise. However, I've eaten at restaurants where the service will vary some from server to server. Even in the 4 to 5 star restaurants. In fact, one of the poorest examples of service occured in a 4 star restaurant in Vegas.

So, if your experience wasn't that hot on RCI but has been good on another cruise line, I'd be sticking with that other cruise line. If this was your first ever cruise, then I'd be looking at other cruise lines for a different experience. It could be that cruising just isn't your cup of tea.

leeshajoy - can you please give us a little bit more information? Like - when did you go? If you went within the last six weeks, then I'm sure you understand the necessity for cancelling some ports of call and adding others due to the three major hurricanes which have not only struck Florida, but have also done damage to embarkation/debarkation ports, ports of call, and private islands. I underrstand that this was your first cruise, but if you call it "mediocre", to what are you comparing it? Appreciate your future replies.

My wife and I sailed on the Voyager of the Seas on our honeymoon in 2002 and we had the time of our lives. We had never been on a cruise until this one ourselves. There were a couple of things that were not perfect during our cruise and we just moved on and had a great time. I know you expect things to be perfect on your honeymoon as we did also. The food that we had was real good (not 5 star) as a lot of people expect. It was very enjoyable and we did not have one thing to eat that we thought was terrible. We sailed during hurricane season and had 7 of the most beautiful days imaginable. The whole crew that we encountered was above and beyond what we expected. They made sure that they could do for us whatever possible within reason if we needed something. I sorry you had a bad experience and hopefully you sail with RCCL again. We cannot wait to go again on our next cruise.

Sounds lik eyou had unrealistic expectations. Make a comparison on what you paid and what was received and compare that to what you expected to receive. In general, mass market cruise lines are not 5 star hotels and should never be expected to be. If they were, you'd be paying $200+/day to be on board.

In general, mass market cruise lines are not 5 star hotels and should never be expected to be. If they were, you'd be paying $200+/day to be on board.

OK, I'm so confused about cruise prices. It sounds from the above quote that paying $200+ a day for a cruise is a big thing. That's exactly what we are paying! We are going on a 7 day Eastern Carribean on the Navigator Oct. 9. The cruise (which is our first) is $2000 per person, subtract $500 for airfare and it's $1500, which is about $215 per day (all in Canadian $).

Is everyone else paying way less than us? I know everything is more expensive in Canada, but I'm beginning to think we are paying way more for our cruise than most people, and you can bet for $215 a day I'm expecting some pretty fine service!!

What do you all think??

We are booked on Enchantment and are looking forward to a great time and are sure we won't be let down. Sorry you had a bad experience. Can you give us more details? Missed or abbreviated ports were probably due to the several hurricanes that had or were in the process of ravaging the Caribbean. I hope you factored that in.

TheWog:

I was on Enchantment last week and it was great. The first two days were really rough because of Ivan and we did miss Key West as a port of call because of the hurricane, but we made it to Cozumel and Belize, so I was happy about that. I think you should have a great time on the ship...I did, even after being sick for 24 hours. It's what you make of it. The food was fine. Decent and never went hungry, but everyone's tastes are different. And if you don't like what you chose, ask for something else. This was my and my sister's first cruise and we would definitely do it again. Oh, and BTW, there were no abbreviated ports...we were in port at Cozumel and Belize exactly the length of time advertised.

Total with pre night at Embassy Suites

$ 700.00 cruise

$ 349.00 air from Phila

$ 119.00 port charges

$ 69.50 taxes

$ 53.00 pre night

$ 1290.50 total per person

$ 2581.00 TOTAL COST minus $25 C&A coupon = $2,556

This is the deal we got for a JS cabin on Enchantment for 10/25 - 10/30. It's not so much the cruise price that gets you, just all the little add ons...

Hmmmm, I really should get the breakdown from our TA. She just gave us the cost of the cruise and the airfare, but no breakdown for the cruise, just "$1500 per person", so when I hear other people paying so much less, it really makes me wonder. We don't have any pre/post cruise costs, but I'm pretty sure the port charges and taxes are included, I just don't know what they are.

I saw similar posts about prices and thought the same - Man I got stiffed! When here I thought I got a good deal. Then I looked at the breakdown... So, if you're talking about JUST the cruise price... we paid $140 per night for JS so I feel better now :D

Sorry you did not enjoy yourself, cruising is not for everyone or maybe you should try one of the smaller upscale ship that can meet your expectations. One cannot really compare the food to great restaurants but more to big weddings where many are served at the same time.

As for the cost question of others, your $215 a day Canadian would be $140 -160 USD depending on the actuall exchange rate which is not bad. I cannot remember the exact #'s but we have 2 rooms, 5 of us and the cruise cost is about $5,250.

Someday the exchange rate is gonna turn around and $140 CAD will be $215 USD (I can dream can't I?). ;-) That will be sweet, but until that day, AARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Anyway, I'm totally cool with it as long as we're just paying the "going rate" that everyone else is paying.

I think you got the going rate for the Navigator and a balcony on the ninth deck, a D1 I would assume. If you are in a suite you got a good deal (I think). Although I have not been on a Voyager class ship yet (usually most expensive), I will some day.

We absolutely loved our cruise on the Enchantment. Food was outstanding, and the ship is layed out nicely though it's a little smallish. Also, I've never had a less than glorious experience on RCCL, but that's just my experience. As for price, we are going on the Navigator Oct. 30th for 7 days and paid $992pp for a D1 balcony stateroom, total price. That's like $142 pp a day.

Sorry for you that you had a bad expierience.

Enchantment Honeymoon on RCI - Never again
I really hope for you you´ll never have another honeymoon again on RCL, as I hope your marriage lasts forever and you won´t have another honeymon anywhere!

This cruiseline was mediocre AT BEST. The food was like airplane food and our service was not good at all.

To rate it mediocre at best I have to ask what you have been expecting. I don´t say it wasn´t mediocre for you but I think it has to do alot with your expectations. In my eyes the comparison of the RCCL food with airline food is wrong. I never touch the airline food anymore as I simply fell it´s uneatable (unless flying buiseness class) but I never went hungry off any RCCL ship.

I understand alot of people on this board might get all worked up at me saying this but I think RCI was horrible.

It was our first cruise and if it wasn't for our BRIEF ports in Cozumel and Belize we would have called it a flop altogether. We are wondeing if all cruises are like this? Maybe its just Royal Carribean.

You are absolutely entiteled do give us your opinion even if I´m not thinking the same way.

Maybe you should try another cruiseline to compare, but I would sugest to inform yourself before booking another cruise very well to set your expectations to the correct level. Of course it could also be that cruising is not your kind of favourite vacation.

Cruise pricing has ALOT to do with when you are going and category of cabin you book. Sometimes of the year are cheaper then others (hurricane season, early dec, Jan/Feb), etc....Other times are more expensive...IE on our spring break cruise it was more for RCL then Carnival too.

Our Feb 2005 cruise on the Voyager was 1900.00 for the 2 of us in a balcony cabin E2 cat. We cruise in Jan/Feb due to lower prices. We do not like to cruise during hurricane season being we live in Florida already and know what they can do. Plus February is my birthday and our wedding anniversary so it works out great in Feb! Our last cruise on the Carnival Inspiration was in March 2004 but we only cruised in March cause our daughter went with us and it was spring break here. That cruise cost us about the same as our VOS cruise this coming feb. But then again I find Carnival cheaper then RCL. I haven't cruise on RCL yet (feb will be our 1st time). We normally cruise with Carnival but wanted a change to compare.

Don't give up on cruising, try another line. I would suggest Princess. We have been on 16 Princess cruises. Just returned from an Alaskan sailing on the Serenade of the Seas, our second with RCCL. We won't be sailing RCCL anytime soon. I agree, the food was only ok. Italian night with an Asian influence???? We missed the anytime dining option and the 24-hour food court service available on Princess. The ship was pretty, but not as clean as the Princess ships. The CD was weak. RCCL is not as organized as Princess. However; the entertainment in the theatre was extremely good, especially the show by DanJani. I don't think you can never not have a good time on a cruise, but some lines are just so much better.

This cruiseline was mediocre AT BEST. The food was like airplane food and our service was not good at all. I understand alot of people on this board might get all worked up at me saying this but I think RCI was horrible.

No, for someone who on other posts has described themselves as a 'foodie', it's not just Royal Caribbean. All the mass market, mainstream, cruiselines are similar. A self-described 'foodie' who was completely unsatisified with Royal Caribbean should plan on not cruising, or paying 2-3 times as much and cruising with one of the high-end cruiselines.

OK, I'm so confused about cruise prices. It sounds from the above quote that paying $200+ a day for a cruise is a big thing. That's exactly what we are paying! We are going on a 7 day Eastern Carribean on the Navigator Oct. 9. The cruise (which is our first) is $2000 per person, subtract $500 for airfare and it's $1500, which is about $215 per day (all in Canadian $).

Is everyone else paying way less than us? I know everything is more expensive in Canada, but I'm beginning to think we are paying way more for our cruise than most people, and you can bet for $215 a day I'm expecting some pretty fine service!!

What do you all think??

Of course the time and location of the cruise influence the price, but in generarl RCI goes to the Caribbean and I am a quantity person who likes inside cabins better than balcony cabins. THe most I am will to pay per night is $100/day/cabin for an inside and that is the higher side. If you are choosing a better cabin, than you price will vary and can pay 200-300+ a day, but you are not getting anything upgraded besides your room. To get an perspective and what to expect, look at the lowest category available and the price for that category. The person in this room is served the same food you are being served. So if you are looking for a finer dining experience pay for it on Radisson, Seabourne, Crystal, or Cunard.

We are cruising October 10 with a D2, deck 8 balcony for $740 a person so $1480 per person. I think that's a good price.... We are getting married and some of our guests are in interior cabins for $420 a person!! Can't really go wrong with that, espcially with five out of six days being at port how often will they be in the room!!!!

Archived