Renting a car and driving

chris&holly

We will be in St Thomas from 8am-6pm and I am thinking the same thing. I would like to check out several beaches. By the time we pay for several cab rides x 4 people it will be about the same as renting a car or Jeep. Here is a link to the Budget Car Rental which is located just outside the pier.

http://www.budgetstt.com/cruise.html

What side of the road do they drive on?

We drive on the left with steering on the right (like US cars), roads are narrow, poorly paved out of "town", curvey and mountainous (sp?). Traffic can be very heavy and slow both to and from cruise dockage. If you do rent leave plenty of time to return both car and yourselves to dock. Parking is non existant in "town" and sparse at some beaches, Coki esp., Magens has some parking as does Saphire. It all depends on how many ships are in. For a stress free day I would hire a cab! The cab drivers know how to get to the docks using back roads and short cuts and you can enjoy the scenery! The traffic jams are no fun! The more ships the worse the traffic.

B.

We drive on the left with steering on the right (like US cars)' date=' roads are narrow, poorly paved out of "town", curvey and mountainous (sp?). Traffic can be very heavy and slow both to and from cruise dockage. If you do rent leave plenty of time to return both car and yourselves to dock. Parking is non existant in "town" and sparse at some beaches, Coki esp., Magens has some parking as does Saphire. It all depends on how many ships are in. For a stress free day I would hire a cab! The cab drivers know how to get to the docks using back roads and short cuts and you can enjoy the scenery! The traffic jams are no fun! The more ships the worse the traffic.

B.[/quote']

There will be four ships (total capacity over 10,000 people) in port that day so it probably will be crowded. Your response definitely has me reconsidering renting a car. I'll probably take a taxi over to Coki or Saphire and might even take the ferry over to St John. Before I give up completely though, has anyone else rented a car while in on St Thomas for the Day? Do you have a similar or different opinion?

Thanks,

Chipeneezer

We got a Jeep at Budget. I loved it. It was fun driving on the opposite side of the road and up and down the mountainside. Wife was scared at first but got used to it. The traffic near the dock was bad but not horrible. Parking at Meygans Bay was plentyful. The only thing I didn't like was that they were very slow to get you on your way. Their was only one lady working and she took her sweet time checking everyone out one at a time. Also they closed at 5pm and the ship left at 8. So you had to be back early.

Just make sure you reserve it before you go on the cruise. Call Budget central reservations, don't go through the website form, they will never get back to you.

There will be four ships (total capacity over 10,000 people) in port that day so it probably will be crowded. Your response definitely has me reconsidering renting a car. I'll probably take a taxi over to Coki or Saphire and might even take the ferry over to St John. Before I give up completely though, has anyone else rented a car while in on St Thomas for the Day? Do you have a similar or different opinion?

Thanks,

Chipeneezer

Last year while visiting St. Thomas for a week, we rented a jeep from budget. I did all of the driving and it was not difficult. Traffic is heavy in town (very little parking) and during rush hour. We will be in port in May and plan to rent a jeep from budget for the day. Make your reservation in advance and get a confirmation number. The cost is around $77 per day plus tax and insurance. I think this is the best way to see the island. If you can read a map you should not get lost. The main streets have great signage. If you plan to go to St. John for the day, which we did, make sure you check the car barge schedule. You don't want to cut your time too close. Hope this helps.:)

- Nancy

I had reserved a car with Budget at Havensight for 2/11 but they had no car when I arrived and claimed to have no reservation . Call them to confirm reservation. I had rented from them several times before but they are lax with reservations.

If you want to rent from Budget you should use Budgets US website rather that the Budget St Thomas sight. Filling out an online form and waiting for a confirmation that may or may not come is very frustrating. Calling direct to St. Thomas Budget is even more frustrating. Use location code CT3 on Budgets US website for the Havensight location you get instant reservations and pay online just like renting a cor in the US. Budget also has a new location about a 10 minute walk from the Crown Bay Point dock but I still haven't found the location code for it yet. Budget also allows you to take the rental cars to St. John if you want. I've rented from them 3 times booking on the US website and have never had a problem.

Has anyone ever just taken the ferry over to St John's from St Thomas and rented a jeep in St John's? Is that any cheaper? Meaning paying for barging the car over from St Thomas vs just getting the car in St John?? Just wondering.

I may be completely wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the rental facilities on St. John do not rent just for the day to cruise ship passengers. Apparently they cater to people who are staying on St. John for the week. Even on the Budget website for St. Thomas you have to click on a special link for cruise ship passengers. It is probably just about as cheap to take the ferry and visit one or two beaches and ends up being less hassle than renting a car.

I may be completely wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the rental facilities on St. John do not rent just for the day to cruise ship passengers. Apparently they cater to people who are staying on St. John for the week. Even on the Budget website for St. Thomas you have to click on a special link for cruise ship passengers. It is probably just about as cheap to take the ferry and visit one or two beaches and ends up being less hassle than renting a car.

You are correct, you will not find a car rental on St. John that will rent in advance by the day. You can take a chance and try and rent the day you arrive. All will rent on a first come first serve basis if vehicles are available, but you are taking a chance.

I am supposed to call the budget Phone # when we are off the boat in st.thomas.

Are there phoes at the pier?

This is for pickup to the car rental place.

I assume the car rental place is in town should I just get a cab? I am assuming this would be quicker.

Chris

We stayed a week in St Thomas and rented a car from a national carrier. The car we had was a PT Cruiser and completely banged up. When we brought this to the attention of the rental car agent they told us they knew and it was noted so off we went. We now know why. The driving in St Thomas is dangerous - and that is an understatement. Traffic is unbelievable in town and the driving skills non existent amongst the natives. My DH is a great driver and he was scared - we saw an accident on the way to dinner one night in town that most likely caused many hospitalizations. If we were going back for a week again we would probably end up renting a car because you need one to see everything - for one day on a cruise ship - NEVER!

Has anyone ever just taken the ferry over to St John's from St Thomas and rented a jeep in St John's? Is that any cheaper? Meaning paying for barging the car over from St Thomas vs just getting the car in St John?? Just wondering.

I just rented a car on st thomas and they were very specific that you cannot take the car to St John. Better off taking the ferry from Charlotte Amolie to St Joh and renting a jeep at Cruz Bay. Taxis on St John are really inexpensive so unless you just want to just do some exploring you may just want to use taxis to get to spots like Trunk Bay.

Chris - if you are docked at Havensight, Budget has an office right across the street. If you are docked at Crown Bay perhaps they are asking you to call so they can come pick you up or bring the car to you?? There are phones at the Havensight dock, don't remember seeing any at the Crown Bay dock but they are likely there too.

PS to bobnatt's comment: When renting a car on St. Thomas with the intention to take it to St. John by barge you need to ask if this is ok. Some car rental agencies allow it and some do not. If they do allow it you should ask about road side assistance on St. John so that you know their policy - most will not come to St. John to service the car if something were to happen; so you have to get it back to them on St. Thomas.

--Islander

Islander-- We are arriving at Crown Bay. Thanks for the info, I beleive at the time of my reservation they said something about a budget in town. So I assume that is where they will pick me up from. I was just wondering if it would be faster to walk there or take a cab there, instead of waiting for pick up?

bobnatt-- I noticed that when I was booking from Hertz. They do not allow there cars to go on the ferry. So I cancelled and booked with budget they allow there cars on the ferry.

Islander--bobnatt-- I noticed that when I was booking from Hertz. They do not allow there cars to go on the ferry. So I cancelled and booked with budget they allow there cars on the ferry.

Thanks I did not know that. Good information for next trip. Thanks..

bob

GBChicago - exactly my thoughts! We rent cars in Cozumel and would on several other islands, but for one day in St. Thomas there is no way we'd consider it. The roads are too precarious, and it's best left to those experienced with the narrow, winding roads. Cabs are not hard to come by nor that expensive, and they come with the added advantage that you can actually enjoy the scenery rather than watching the road. Riding in the open air bus is also much more fun than a beaten up PT cruiser.

I'm amazed so many of you have rented a car in St. Thomas. Of all the islands I've been to, that's the last one I'd rent a vehicle on. There are so many curvy, narrow roads packed with vehicles--yikes! I sat in the front seat and watched our tour van driver maneuver around other vehicles all day. It was a piece of cake for her, but I'd be a wreck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from our Cruise. We rented the Jeep from Budget. Make sure you get there early. The 4x4 excursions use Jeeps from Budget. The lady said that anyone that got there after me wasn't going to get a Jeep reservation or not.

We went straight to the car ferry to St John. We snorkeled at Trunk bay first and planned on going to Waterlemon or Cinnamon bay, but it started pouring. We ended up driving to Coral Bay and having some incredible burgers for lunch at a place called Skinny Legs. On the way back we ended up taking a dirt/gravel road shortcut. It was so much fun. Switchbacks up to the top of the mountain where it connected with the main road. My wife and sister-in-law were screaming their heads off the whole time. Bro-in-law and myself laughed our heads off the whole time. Never had to put in in 4wd until the very end to make it up on the main road. The Guy that gave us the map of St John said if it is on the map then you can drive it. So we did!

Then we just headed back over to St Thomas and drove around a little more before we returned the car. The only bad traffic was right by the docks when we were trying to fill up with gas. Fill up before you come back into town. No problems at all driving on the left. I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't.

Driving on your own is the way to go. The only disapointment for us was the rain, but that just allowed us to discover Skinny Legs and Coral Bay.

Have a great cruise!

Has anyone rented a car and driven in st.thomas? Is it safe easy affordable? Is there spots to park at the beaches?

I rented a Hertz car for a week in St Thomas this past January. Prices were about the same as the USA for a mini van. The hertz location i used was at the airport but I think I saw other posts that there may be some rent a car locations in town. Probably good idea to google "st thomas car rentals."

in terms of safety there is no issue other than you drive on the left side of the road that takes a couple of minutes to get used to.

Plenty of parking at Magens Bay beach.

Archived