Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jhannah

Prinsendam Day One Lisbon to Athens

As I noted on the other thread, embarkation was a breeze. We met several of the CCers at sailaway. A few got "lost" but I don't know how since it's so small a ship. :) Anyway, we're having a wonderful time.

Had dinner last night in the Pinnacle. As expected, it was super bodacious wonderful. Jon, the maitre d' in the Pinnacle, is on his first tour of duty aboard a cruise ship. Very personable fellow from the Netherlands. We stopped by to meet our regular tablemates, and will join them in a couple of hours for dinner.

Today at Gribraltar was good. The weather is practically perfect. A bit hazy, so we couldn't see Africa from the top of the rock. We did see it coming through the straits, so that was good.

We went into town and walked down by the hotel. There, we hired a cab for 24 Euros each to take us up to the top. That included going to both ends of the mountain, entrance into two caves, and a visit with the Barbary apes. I thought it was a very good deal. It was easy to do, and much cheaper than what the ship offers. We really saw it all. After a stroll through town, it was back to the ship. One highlight was being able to see the Rotterdam V in dry dock here in Gibraltar. She's being refitted into a hotel. So all you afficianados of this great ocean liner can rest assured she's still beautiful, and will continue to serve.

We saw the QE2 at sailaway yesterday, and she was in port ahead of us this morning. We docked right beside her.

The two aft-facing cabins on the Veranda deck have tinted glass walls at the back. They sit a ways back from the rail, but that area of the deck is marked private ... so there shouldn't be much traffic back there. I haven't been able to see into the ones on the sides.

We're in 056, an SS that's 7th from the back on the port side. It is a wonderful cabin. No eurotop mattresses or fine linen sheets yet ... but I'm sure they're coming.

We are really enjoying this smaller ship. It's almost amazing how quickly you can get from the dining room to the Queens' Lounge! The wrap-around Promenade deck is 1/4 mile. And remember the recent thread on which way you walk the deck? Well, it's counter-clockwise on the Prinsendam. There are even signs at the bow that say "one way" with arrows pointing toward the port side. I've never seen that before.

The soda package is different. Not unlimited drinks for the duration as we've seen before. 20 sodas are $24.95 plus 15% service charge. So it does save you a few bucks.

That's all for now. I'll send more later as we go along. Tomorrow is a sea day, so we're looking forward to taking it real easy.

Jim-

Thanks soooo much for that information!!! I really thought they did, given the pictures I'd seen! Given the privacy of the area, and the extra space in those cabins, we are gonna stay there!!! Thanks for answering our question!

Surprised to hear that the mattresses haven't been upgraded, I'd heard (erroneously) that the Prinsendam had received all new mattresses and such!

Thanks for reporting in! Good to hear you like the Ship!:cool:

Jim, Thanks for checking in. You are missing some really cool weather here in Vegas. It was only 62 degrees while I was driving to work. We are about 10 to 15 degrees below average. It is a little bit windy. We are suppose to have temps back up to the low 90's this weekend then cool back down and probably stay there.

Glad you and Donna are having a great time.

Enjoy!!

Hi Jim,

Seeing that the mattresses haven't been changed, is the bed hard and do you think I should request an egg shell to go on top of it.

Jennie

Hi Jim,

Seeing that the mattresses haven't been changed, is the bed hard and do you think I should request an egg shell to go on top of it.

Jennie

Egg Shell?!?

Wouldn't you rather have sheets and a blanket?

:p

Regarding new mattresses. We are sailing on the Prinsendam from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 13, 2005. We received a letter with the following: "Just before embarking on the 2005 Grand World Voyage from Ft Lauderdale on Jan. 13, the Prinsendam will be upgraded again". Among the things listed is Euro-top mattresses in all cabins."

Marion

Jim: enjoyed the report! Keep rubbing it in!!! Say "hi" to Donna, Ev and Bruce from us! Virginia is reading today's R-J as I am typing this, so, don't worry, your employer is still in business! :D

Brian,

One of the many things I have learnt from the C.C. Board is about Egg Shell Mattresses.

If you ever travel on the Tahitian Princess you will find the beds to be quite hard and one of the ways to have a softer bed is to have an egg shell mattress put on top before the sheets and blankets. It makes for a very good and comfortable sleep. ;) ;)

Jennie

Our bed is very comfortable. It's firm, not squishy. We have pillow top at home, but are not having trouble sleeping. :)

Today is a sea day, and I'm here in the Internet center, port side, looking out at the passing Mediterranean. Ah, what a life!

As I noted earlier, we enjoyed the Pinnacle on our first night. So last night we joined our regular table mates for dinner. A nice group. But to my surprise our head waiter is Iwan, who we met on the Zuiderdam. He's still a great guy, working hard and seeing that everyone is taken care of. No problem with service, and the food is wonderful.

Enjoy your day, landlubbers! :D

Jim,

Thanks for all your information. I can hardly wait to board but know that once I am there, time will pass far too quickly. Enjoy and happy cruising.

Jennie.

Jim,

I'm looking forward to all your coming reports from the Prinsendam.

A question: Is the bow accessible or is it "Crew Only"?

Regarding the new mattresses, I think that on the Prinsendam, only the deluxe suites (cat. S & PH) have already been upgraded.

Marc

Brian,

One of the many things I have learnt from the C.C. Board is about Egg Shell Mattresses.

If you ever travel on the Tahitian Princess you will find the beds to be quite hard and one of the ways to have a softer bed is to have an egg shell mattress put on top before the sheets and blankets. It makes for a very good and comfortable sleep. ;) ;)

Jennie

Hmmm, I always thought the term was egg crate mattress. So named because the pockets in the foam pad look like the pockets that the eggs rest in when they are in a carton or crate.

Marion, glad to hear that we are scheduled for the EuroTop upgrade for the World Cruise. Having gotten accustomed to a Sleep Comfort bed, I wouldn't want to go back to plain old mattress for that long.

Thanks for all of the interesting info from your cruise, Jhannah, and enjoy!

Today is a sea day, and I'm here in the Internet center, port side, looking out at the passing Mediterranean. Ah, what a life!

Enjoy your day, landlubbers! :D

Oh Jim, you just had to get a little bit more rub in:D I don't blame you I would do the same thing:p I am so glad you are having a great time. Does the Prinsendam see just a bit classier than other HAL ships? I have always wondered this. Enjoy!!!

Regarding new mattresses. We are sailing on the Prinsendam from Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 13, 2005. We received a letter with the following: "Just before embarking on the 2005 Grand World Voyage from Ft Lauderdale on Jan. 13, the Prinsendam will be upgraded again". Among the things listed is Euro-top mattresses in all cabins."

Marion

That is such good news. I really dislike sleeping on a hard mattress, so I'll be looking forward to some sweet dreams on the January 13 voyage. Thank you for sharing this news, Marion.

Slinkie

:)

Jim-

Thanks for taking the time to post from the ship. :) Glad you are enjoying the Med - we go in November and can hardly wait!

Sounds like the soda card has fallen victim to HAL's need to find a profit at every turn... Sorry, but $24.95 + 15% for 20 fountain (not canned) sodas hardly seems worth it - unless they've gone to offering the entire can and gotten rid of the "fountain" soda.

Sounds like the soda card has fallen victim to HAL's need to find a profit at every turn... Sorry, but $24.95 + 15% for 20 fountain (not canned) sodas hardly seems worth it - unless they've gone to offering the entire can and gotten rid of the "fountain" soda.
Sounds like it fell victim to the same thing that killed unlimited internet access - the greed of passengers, not HAL. Evidently some would buy a single card, then "share" the sodas with friends and family. I'll take loud, obnoxious kids (who really don't know any better) over greedy, cheap and crude adults (who ought to know better) any day!

-dave

Sorry, but $24.95 + 15% for 20 fountain (not canned) sodas hardly seems worth it - unless they've gone to offering the entire can and gotten rid of the "fountain" soda.
You get cans now ... not fountain drinks.