Current Hurricane Information

bostonlass

Has anyone ever heard of a major (like the ones we've had lately) hurricane happening in mid October? I tried looking up the history of hurricanes throughout the years and although there has been some activity in the form of tropical storms I can't find any major ones.

I mean it's one thing that my fiance ran out on me a month before the wedding, it's one thing that the Red Sox have lost the last three games, but if I have to miss this *$&%*(#(# cruise I'm gonna lose it!!!!!

thanks in advance :D

Okay, there has been a lot of talk and complaining around here lately about the fact that cruisers have had changes in itinerary, lengthened cruises, shortenend cruises, and every permutation thereof.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be happy if my itinerary is changed and I end up going to the Western Caribbean (been there 5 times in the last 3 years) instead of my planned Eastern itinerary in 10 days.

What I want to know is this... would the people on these ships be happier if the captain had stuck to their planned itinerary and sailed them straight into the path of a hurricane? Would they have preferred to be tossing their cookies into sacks instead of enjoying the sunshine and smooth seas? Would they prefer to be on ravaged Grand Cayman, with no electricity and no running water, rather than in little ole' (apparently lousy) Nassau and Jamaica? At least they could keep DOWN the lousy food they're so busy complaining about because the ship wasn't pitching like something out of the Perfect Storm!

I just don't get it folks - they changed your cruises (and may change mine) to protect you and offer you the best possible vacation on their ship! They didn't do it to be mean, or to punish you, or to make you suffer!!

Hopping down off my soapbox now!

TinaLee

Sorry to hear about the fiance and glad to hear of your upcoming cruise. We're on the cruise 2 weeks after you and our first time on Princess.

We're sitting here now watching Baltimore and Boston, top of the 9th, 2 out, 1-0 in favor of the redsox. My husband is having a fit. Not the redflops this year I pray.

Let us know how things go on your cruise and I hope you really enjoy.

Tina... you got it. I've said it before in posts but to me, the ship is the destination. Where it goes and the ports are gravy. Yes, I'll select an itinerary and plan on stopping at the ports but it won't be the end of the world if fate intervenes. If the cruise wound up being seven sea days, I wouldn't be disappointed nor would I demand to get a free cruise out of it. Heck... I had the cruise. :)

Bostonlass, you definitely deserve to have a great cruise. Sorry to have to tell you, but we ran into Hurricane Mitch in October 1998 in Cozumel, where we were for a week long dive trip. That stuff happens, but on a land trip, they just can't re-route you or sail around the storm. I KNOW you'll have better luck!

I don't want to be the one that tells you this, but large Hurricanes can happen all the way into November, it happened to us a few years ago when we sailed on November 7th. But I wouldn't even give it two thoughts, I am sure you will be fine. These darned things need to run out of steam soon, we have had our fill this year already.

Hang in there, don't worry and have a wonderful cruise. :)

Bravo (standing up and clapping), you said it all. I guess none of these people have ever sailed close to a hurricane before. I have and I can tell you, it isn't any fun at all. :( They think their cruise was ruined because of an itinerary change? They should see how they would feel when they spend several days hanging their head in a barf bag because the waves are hitting the top deck of the ship and you are bouncing around like a cork. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nicely said Tina! Because of Hurricane Ivan we're looking at possibly a sea day instead of Grand Cayman, but that's okay with us. If people would read their cruise contract they would be aware that itinerary changes can happen. Besides, the cruiseline can't control the weather so if you get alternate ports and return home safely, what's there to complain about anyway?

I was on last week's Caribbean Princess cruise to basically nowhere (demolished Jamaica and Nassau). I have no problems with the itinerary change. They did a very good job of finding good weather to cruise in and I'm sure that it's tough finding open ports last second, especially for a ship as big as the Caribbean Princess. The thing that I do have an issue with is that I paid nearly $200 per person for port charges and taxes when I signed up for an itinerary with 4 ports. We only made it to 2 ports, and we received a $15 per person refund for taxes for the missed ports. We received no refund for the missed port charges. I think they still owe us about $85 per person for the missed port charges. $85 x 3200 passengers = over a quarter of a million dollars that Princess is sitting on just from this cruise alone.

If I may....

Of course people don't want to sail in rough weather or in danger and of course we realize that it is not that big of a deal to change course, especially when you consider all the people and islands that have to deal with these storms. We all feel compassion and in no way compare our small inconvenience to their tragedy. We are glad that we are sailing with a company that puts our safety first and keeps us safe (and even compensates us for certain changes). We love that Princess helped out the people of Grand Cayman and will be even more loyal to them now.

However, we are just expressing frustration and disappointment. A lot of planning goes into a cruise. All of you who spend hours on cruise critic know how looking forward to the cruise and planning for it is at least half the fun. That's why there are patters and menus and everything you can think of out there for our consumption. The same is true for the islands and excrusions. You plan, book and get exctied. Naturally, when things are diverted, especially when there is a lot of uncertainty, there is going to be disappointment. Does this mean we are not still excited? Of course not! We are very excited and that feeling will last a lot longer than the disappointment....but we are still allowed to feel a little bummed. If we can't express that here, someone please tell us the guidelines on what is appropriate. I have not seen any posts bringing the mood down. Simply a "I'm bummed....but will have a good time anyway..."

We talk of all kinds of things on this board. I truely believe in always finding the silver lining. My saying is "If this is the worst thing that happens...what a great day" (which annoys my husband to no end :p ). That being said, I'm bummed if I miss my daysail in St Thomas and I'm bummed if I can't see the beautiful island of St Martin.

oh yeah, and I PLAN TO HAVE A KICK A** TRIP! I CAN'T WAIT!

I hope I don't get attacked for this, just trying to state one for the underdogs! :p

Jen

I noticed some responders to this post, and to the other thread of the same discussion, have several cruises, past and future listed under their messages. Perhaps the original poster was on her first cruise and her expections were somewhat high and her disappointment was so great she needed to vent. Of course those people inconvenienced by the storm would have preferred that no one suffer from the storm either here in Florida or on the ports they missed. They were victims of the storm just in a different and defininely a minor way.

I sensed some negative vibes and definitely some name calling regarding this issue. (Every person who posts a negative thought is a "whiner"?) Isn't this board a place to write questions, suggestions, vent, share happiness. What I believe it isn't or shouldn't be is a place to put people down for their postings.

Each of us sees things in a different way according to how we are affected, so perhaps we can be a bit more tolerant until we have walked in their shoes.

Some of these complainers may be unaware of when Hurricane Season is -- strange as that may seem!! Some don't know how to read a map & don't really know where they're going!! Some don't read any of the materials connected with the cruise!!

For example, on 1 cruise that stopped in Costa Rica (en route to Canal) there was an boat excursion through the RAIN forest, and printed description said to bring RAIN gear!! On the boat, hubby overheard 2 ladies sitting next to him complaining bitterly how bad the trip was since it was RAINING!!

Tina:

Well said and I agree that safety comes first............we forget too many lives were lost in Jamacia, Grenada, even here in the US........

I can see though...........that if you book a cruise exclusively based on ports or itinerary.......during hurricane season..........you could be greatly dissapointed.

bostonlass:

Hope you have a great cruise.........we are sailing November 6th so I hope everything storm wise is well over by then.........

Just one request...........could we make it a Cardinals/Red Sox world series?;)

Archived