Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
RCVacation

Bus Routes

I have never been to Antigua before and keep reading that the bus is a great way to travel. Can someone please tell me how to get to the bus from the port. Also do they go to any beach i.e. Jolly Beach, Runaway or Darkwood? Thanks

its across from the market st. /, just ask a local for the market, its hard to explain, , because this yr. we will take a shortcut, but i can;t explain that either, when you are coming into port , facing town the bus is to the right a few streets back, but when we went last year we walked all the way through town then make a right turn , sign says market then straight back to bus stop, they want you to walk through town to shop. but it is well worth the effort . west bus station

I have never been to Antigua before and keep reading that the bus is a great way to travel. Can someone please tell me how to get to the bus from the port. Also do they go to any beach i.e. Jolly Beach, Runaway or Darkwood? Thanks

To get to the West Bus Station exit Heritage Quay by the elevators, go one block straight up, take the first right and keep going straight. The West Bus Station is on the right across the street from the craft and vegetable markets. The buses at this station go to Jolly Beach, Castaways Beach, Turners Beach and Darkwood Beach. Be sure to ask the bus driver if the bus goes to the beach you want to get to as all buses at that station may not go as far as Darkwood Beach. There are no buses going to Runaway or any of the beaches near there. Hope you enjoy whichever beach you choose.

I am seriously considering taking the bus to Darkwood but nobody mentions the return trip. Is there a bus stop nearby, do the buses comes regularly, and is it a slower trip back due to traffic? Memphre

:confused: If no question is a silly question I should be able to get away with this one..... Do the buses take US money or does the island have their own currency? Do they give change? Is there a bus route published that we could download before we go?

:confused: If no question is a silly question I should be able to get away with this one..... Do the buses take US money or does the island have their own currency? Do they give change? Is there a bus route published that we could download before we go?

The buses do take US currency and yes the island uses the Eastern Caribbean Dollar as do several other islands in the Caribbean. Exchange rate ranges from EC$2.60 to EC$2.70 - US$1. It will probably cost about US$2.00 to take you to Darkwood. Change is usually given in EC$.

As far as I know, there is no bus route published or available on line. There should be a sign at the bus station though that tells you about the routes. The buses display a number which signifies the route it takes. I think the number 20 or 22 bus takes you on the Darkwood Beach route. If you're unsure, ask any of the bus drivers or anybody in the vicinity when you get there. Someone will be willing to help you find your way.

Another thing... when getting on the bus, be sure to tell the driver directly that you are getting off at Darkwood Beach. If not, you would have to indicate for him to stop when you are in the area or he will not.

Just a quick note to confirm.... The buses are exactly as described on this thread! We enjoyed our time in Antigua and will definitely use the busses there again. All the locals are soooo friendly ....they treat you as if they have known you for years. Just bring $1 bills for the fare as I'm sure larger denominations would cause problems. Be aware that most of the buses are small vans and they are in varying states of repair. They do not run on a schedule but they do follow a route. You can expect the bus to be very full before it leaves the station. If you ask how much the fare is to a location be sure to say US dollars. We enjoyed the ride so much we gave the driver a few extra dollars. The driver sent out a passenger to return the tip because he thought it was a mistake. I had to go back and assure him I wanted him to have the extra money...... Try that on a cab!

Can you tell us more about the return bus? We want to take bus to Darkwood, will the returning be any problem? How long we should prepare for waiting the bus to arrive? And do we waiting on the same side when the bus dropping us off or the opposite side? I know there is a bus stop right on the Darkwook beach. thanks.

Just a quick note to confirm.... The buses are exactly as described on this thread! We enjoyed our time in Antigua and will definitely use the busses there again. All the locals are soooo friendly ....they treat you as if they have known you for years. Just bring $1 bills for the fare as I'm sure larger denominations would cause problems. Be aware that most of the buses are small vans and they are in varying states of repair. They do not run on a schedule but they do follow a route. You can expect the bus to be very full before it leaves the station. If you ask how much the fare is to a location be sure to say US dollars. We enjoyed the ride so much we gave the driver a few extra dollars. The driver sent out a passenger to return the tip because he thought it was a mistake. I had to go back and assure him I wanted him to have the extra money...... Try that on a cab!

Xil, We never went the right direction from the terminal to go past darkwood so we can't answer your question by experience BUT......Next time we go to Antigua we plan on going to Darkwood via bus. It would not be difficult at all to confirm with a driver which bus will go as far as the beach. Then it would be simple to ask the driver at the drop off location where to meet a bus for the return. The "buses" do not have a strict schedule but they are predictable. I very confident the driver would be able to help. Trust me on this.... the drivers and locals are very helpful!